Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Taurus PT-111 g2 9mm

One of my best friends bought one today at Tanners. His budget was very firm at $300 and he wanted a new gun.

He asked me a few weeks ago to help him pick out a cc gun, he will be applying next week of so for his ltcf. He gave me the parameters for a search. Budget, 9mm and new. He wanted to fit in a holster under the $300 as well if possible. It felt good that he trusted me to help him decide on the gun. I asked him to do some homework on the action types and what the various makers had in his price range.
    His first gun was a Hi-Point C-9. I have given a review of that gun in a different thread and followed it up with several updates.

I know there will be bashers on the decision to buy the Taurus but it was the best gun given the parameters. He was able to get a Galco iwb holster and two boxes of Federal fmj plinking ammo and still had enough for a cup of coffee. We checked out the Sccy and a few other budget guns. The taurus fit his hand and pointed well for him. (Actually I was impressed myself after holding older versions).

I will be giving my impressions of it after we get to the range. He plans on putting the 100 rounds through it and I asked if I could run a box through as well. I will check for reliability and after a bo of so accuracy.

He did not do much researching himself and I did tell him that was a mistake but I hope I did well for my buddy. I am glad that he will be joining the ranks of "good guy with a gun". Now we have to work on one more friend. I think he is good to go but his wife has an aversion to handguns.

On a side note Tanners is a hell of a gun shop within driving distance of us in the sepa portion of the state. It was worth the drive of about an hour and a half round trip. He is from Philadelphia and would have paid about $300 for just the gun in the city. Their inventory is incredible for a shop that size. They have a wide selection of accessories as well, for many types of shooting including hunting. All in all a very good day.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Taurus PT-111 g2 9mm

I have that Taurus.....its been nothing but good to me.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm somewhere north of 6000 rounds through mine, eats anything that I have put through it. Other than some holster wear I have no complaints.

(Lehigh County)

I bought a used one about a year ago and loved it so much I wound up buying a second one (two tone) a short time later for a really good price. Neither one has failed me yet with many rounds through them. I have no qualms carrying these

(Delaware County)

That's all good news. I am hoping his is problem free as well.

(Montgomery County)

I haven't heard one bad review of the Taurus. Not even one example of a FTE/FTF....

And yeah Tanners is a great shop. Tell your buddy to check out Remora IWB holsters. They're cheap (~$20) and work very well for me.

(Delaware County)

I have the g2 111. Very dependable gun. The trigger pull is a long journey before hitting the wall, but in the heat of self defense, the travel will be short with a featherweight trigger. And most important, the gun will function as intended.

(Beaver County)

Let me say this, as someone who has been in that very position, with $300 in my pocket and wanting a gun. As someone who bought a few Taurus pistols in my day. The bottom line, after all the internet bashing and people swearing up and down that Taurus pistols are junk... your buddy bought a $300 gun that will still be worth $300 after he uses it for a couple years. And he'll be able to sell it with small effort precisely because it is a $300 gun. Maybe he loses $20-30 bucks selling it. That's rental. No harm no foul, and in my book no shame.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Bucks County)

I picked one of these up from tanners as well. I needed something for concealed carry and this fit the bill nicely. I haven't been able to get it to the range, but the ergonomics fit me better than some of the others I looked at, including the sccy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    I picked one of these up from tanners as well. I needed something for concealed carry and this fit the bill nicely. I haven't been able to get it to the range, but the ergonomics fit me better than some of the others I looked at, including the sccy.
    The SCCY does not feel as solid as the Taurus and cost $50 more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast