Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Sig Romeo4M or Aimpoint PRO?

I'm looking to put a more durable optic on my AR before heading down to abuse it in a CQB carbine class. I've been thinking about the Romeo 4M from Sig Sauer - it's recently been approved for both personal carbines and duty carbines by the FBI. I really like the Romeo 03 that I have right now, but I think it is more of a range optic than a fighting (able to take a beating) optic.
    The Sig can be had for around $450, and the Aimpoint PRO is right in the same ballpark (I am seeing it for around $437). Aimpoint has a track record, but is bulkier and heavier. The Sig has the circle-dot reticle like in the EoTechs.

My question is twofold: First, does anyone have any experience using the Sig 4M, good or bad? I'd love to hear your review. Second, all things being equal, would you opt for the mobility side of the equation and go with the Sig, or the proven history (and extra ounces) of the Aimpoint?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Sig Romeo4M or Aimpoint PRO?

I realize its not the exact same scenario, but I took off an aimpoint pro and replaced it with a primary arms red dot.

Price wasn't even a factor, as I had already bought the aimpoint.

I have zero regrets with that decision.

I watched this a few weeks back on the Romeo 5 which is a lower line offering from Sig which I believe is made in China. From previous things I have read while doing research the 4M is made in Japan with higher specifications for the electronics and housing so I can only imagine it's as tough as nails.

You can also find the 4M in the $350.00 to $380.00 price range if you look.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...oa-circle-dot/

Last edited by Hodgie; March 5th, 2017 at 11:30 PM.

More of an in-depth review and not a torture test.

(Delaware County)

The FBI is using the Romeo 4T not the 4M. Right now it has not been released for sale yet but will be very shortly. From what I have seen the 4T will be in the $550-$650 range. The 4T has solar on top and the buttons are on the left side not the top. Also has 4 different dots that the FBI requested that include single dot, bullet drop comp, with and without circle.
    All markings and logos are all black not white so it blends in with the optic.
    Last edited by ftownkev; March 6th, 2017 at 08:14 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the responses. I am definitely leaning towards the smaller optic, especially at such a good price point (thanks Hodgie!). I've never looked at the Tombstone Tactical site before, seems good.

ftownkev, I did see the 4T named as the choice of the FBI by perhaps one website, and the 4M was named by a couple of other sites. Sootch also mentioned the 4M in his review as posted above. Do you have any firsthand knowledge of the decision, or are you going off of online information like I am? Just curious as to your sources since I have now seen both the 4M and the 4T named as the selection.

(Allegheny County)

What a tough little red dot! I cringed when he brought out the shotgun, but color me extremely impressed. With this performance from the Romeo5, any reservations I may have had about the Romeo4M have been pretty much satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I watched this a few weeks back on the Romeo 5 which is a lower line offering from Sig which I believe is made in China. From previous things I have read while doing research the 4M is made in Japan with higher specifications for the electronics and housing so I can only imagine it's as tough as nails.

You can also find the 4M in the $350.00 to $380.00 price range if you look.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...oa-circle-dot/

(Delaware County)

Yes currently the FBI have the Romeo 4T on their rifles this is confirmed I have seen them in person. Also like I was saying the 4T was built specifically for the FBI with their specific requirements/ requests. The reticle is very cool and much nicer then the single red dot with circle.

Quote Originally Posted by cmudave1125 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am definitely leaning towards the smaller optic, especially at such a good price point (thanks Hodgie!). I've never looked at the Tombstone Tactical site before, seems good.

ftownkev, I did see the 4T named as the choice of the FBI by perhaps one website, and the 4M was named by a couple of other sites. Sootch also mentioned the 4M in his review as posted above. Do you have any firsthand knowledge of the decision, or are you going off of online information like I am? Just curious as to your sources since I have now seen both the 4M and the 4T named as the selection.

(Allegheny County)

Nice, thanks for replying. The 4T looks cool, and I like the solar power feature. Seems that some retailers have the 4T listed on their pages but are showing as out of stock/unavailable. Perhaps the FBI bought up all of their stores already. I checked Sigs website, the 4T is not listed there at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ftownkev View Post
    Yes currently the FBI have the Romeo 4T on their rifles this is confirmed I have seen them in person. Also like I was saying the 4T was built specifically for the FBI with their specific requirements/ requests. The reticle is very cool and much nicer then the single red dot with circle.

I still wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4M or a 5 based on what I've seen so far. As far as Tombstone Tatical they are as legit as they come so I wouldn't be worried about ordering from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast