Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: .308 load question.

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I've loaded that specific bullet with Varget. My chronied results matched Hornady's data very closely. There's no way I'd start at near max with any load. Especially for a novice reloader. Will you chrony results? Do you know how to recognize pressure signs?

The Hodgdon data listed above is for a Nosler BT. That's a different bullet than the Hornady 3031. The Hodgdon data that indicates 2522 fps for the Nosler BT at 44g Varget will be pushing the Hornady close to 2700 fps with the same powder load.

Don't do it. Start low and work up.
    If i went with Lymans data, same bullet and oal, 42.5 starting load. I don't understand why the max loads are so much different. I'm going to start lower considering im using different cases and primers. Just startled me when I saw Hornady's data.

(Bucks County)

To confuse you even more.......if you are going for the best accuracy you need to set the OAL to your throat length. I typically disregard the published OAL for rifles and start by seating the bullet 0.025 off the lands (as long as the OAL functions in your magazine). Seating the bullet closer (or even touching) work well for some rifles.

BUT! seating to the lands can also increase pressure. So you can not take a max load at one OAL and seat longer. You need to start working it up again. But not 8 grains. 2-3 are usually good for me.

If you find your rifle has a very long throat and the magazine can accept a longer bullet you can usually get to (or even over) book maximum due to the increased case capacity. But this is for experienced reloaders with a chrony ONLY

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bjmac View Post
    If i went with Lymans data, same bullet and oal, 42.5 starting load. I don't understand why the max loads are so much different. I'm going to start lower considering im using different cases and primers. Just startled me when I saw Hornady's data.
    You don't have to load a lot of bullets at the starting and low level loads. Just enough for reference.

For example, if I'm loading a new bullet and a new powder, I may load no more than one bullet at the first few increments up to the range where I expect to end up. I'll chrony each load to make sure they are about where the load data predicts.

However, I'd be working with brass that I have sized for the particular rifle, and I would also look for any pressure signs as I move up the load ladder. That way I'm only dealing with a single untested element - the powder.

Powder may also vary from lot to lot, so when I have developed a good load near max, and open a new canister of powder from a new lot, I start with below max loads to work up to my target velocity.

In your case, I don't know whether this is the first time you've reloaded for the .308, whether the cases are new, sized for your rifle, bolt or AR, barrel length, etc. That's a lot of variables and good reason to not reach for max loads too quickly. If you find you have bullets that are too high or low, you can pull the heads and reload without waste.

(Wayne County)

I run 47 grains of Varget out of 2 different bolt 308s with Barnes TSX bullets with no problems. Start at 44 and work your way up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bjmac View Post
    Chamber and freebore. Same reason 223 in nato chamber is ok but 556 in 223 chamber isnt. They use their particular barrel to test and get their results. Also powder changes by lot number and loads have to be worked up again if your skirting max. Everything that gets in the way of our desires isnt the result of lawyers. just most.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12