Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Springfield XD mags

I have a HS2000 aka Springfield XD that came with 2 ten round mags and I was looking for "high capacity" mags that are flush fit, 15 or 16 round mags were available with the pistol if it was a LEO or military purchase but not to civvies. Anyway, I started reading and I saw it was mentioned a few times on several sites that the only difference between the 10 & 16 round mags is the stamping pattern. On the ten rounders there are channels or dimples down both sides of the mag and there are none on the 16 rounders. Can these channels be cut or hammered out to allow the full capacity? I'm a mechanic by trade so I have a metric $h1t ton of tools at my disposal including a mig welder. I know that I can just go and buy the mags but I like to tinker and I wind up with a low of free time on my hands and I'm staring at a double stack mag that's limited to 10 rounds for no reason other than that ridiculous AWB

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Springfield XD mags

It may work if springs are the same and you can actually get it flat so the follower moves free. Why not just buy a couple XD mags, they are usually on sale for 20ish?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by titleiiredneck View Post
    It may work if springs are the same and you can actually get it flat so the follower moves free. Why not just buy a couple XD mags, they are usually on sale for 20ish?
    I probably will for carry use but like I said, I like to tinker and figured why not? I'm good with steel and fabricating & usually have free time at work so what the hell? At worst I'd lose 2 handicapped mags and best case scenario I gain 2 normal capacity mags

I have thought about it but if you compare a 10rd vs 16 the rib in the 16 tapers toward the bottom of the mag to get the rounds into the taper for the single stack feed.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    I have thought about it but if you compare a 10rd vs 16 the rib in the 16 tapers toward the bottom of the mag to get the rounds into the taper for the single stack feed.
    you mean the ribs near the feed lips? I wasn't going to mess with them since I thought that would cause problems but the ribs going down the straight sides of the mag are where I would put my attention. For right now I only have the 2 mags and I would only "practice" on one mag in case I screw something up I still have 1 working mag until I can get more

http://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/9MM-c39.htm

the 16 rd has a diamond shape rib where as the 10 rd rib goes full length on the mag. you could cut/gtind most of the rib out but must make it taper similar to the 16rd. getting it to be a smooth transition would be difficult

(Indiana County)

Without pictures I can't say for sure about the particular mags you are talking about, but during the ban dimpled mags also has a "cut" around the mag, the dimple was the only thing holding the mag body together.
    If you removed the dimples the mag would fall apart.

I suppose you could cut them out and tig weld the body back together if you really wanted to tinker.

(Lackawanna County)

After looking at them, negative. Just buy a couple XD mags and sell the ban era mags to someone in a ban state or keep as a backup.

The ribs will have to be milled out which in turn would make the mag not function according to the design. Flattening the rib would deform the mag to the point of ruining it.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    http://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/9MM-c39.htm

the 16 rd has a diamond shape rib where as the 10 rd rib goes full length on the mag. you could cut/gtind most of the rib out but must make it taper similar to the 16rd. getting it to be a smooth transition would be difficult
    After looking at that better, i think I'll tinker elsewhere, seems to be kind of a dead end unless i want to cut the mag completely apart & reshape that area from the inside out. I'll take the easy way out on this one, maybe I'll tinker more with the rifle than the pistol

order some mec gar mags I believe they are 18rd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast