Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Shooting outdoors Chester county, Downingtown, Exton, areas?

Hi all, recently moved from Montco down to Chesco in the Downingtown area. From my home, I have heard gun shots in a number & succession that lead me to believe it was target practice. As well, while hiking through Marsh Creek park, I've also heard what sounded like some target practice. I'm aware of a few gun clubs but I can't imagine the sound traveled that far with such volume and so clearly to the areas I was in at the time.

I know as well that it is illegal within the boro of Downingtown to fire a gun or even an air gun in your yard. So I'm curious if anyone knows of a place to shoot outdoors in the immediate area(not French Creek park). I would also be willing to pay a sane, reasonable fee to anyone willing to open up their land with enough space to shoot outdoors. I know the laws differ from township to township. For instance I know someone who lives right by Cheney college with enough acreage who uses his land to shoot and hunt without issue from the town. However, I only knew him through his girlfriend who my wife works with, and they're no longer together. In passing conversation with my daughter's schoolmate's parents, they'd been using their family's farm to shoot not too far away.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    www.derespinaknives.com

(Chester County)

Default Re: Shooting outdoors Chester county, Downingtown, Exton, areas?

In for replies

(Chester County)

Check out Norther Chester County Sportsman Club in Elverson Membership is reasonable, nice facilities and people. Membership may be full now but put your name on the waiting list as spots open up around renewal time. Check website for datails (http://nccsc.us/)

(Delaware County)

Depending on your interest you might want to check out the West Chester Gun Club. Also the West Caln Sportsmen's Club in Honey Brook. Here's a link from Gordon's Sports Supply, a local shop, on places to shoot in Chesco - https://www.gordonssportssupply.com/blank-cv33.

Any particular reason you specified "not French Creek Park" - is it because you already know about it, or because you want to avoid it, or...?

(Chester County)

oops

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fitter View Post
    Check out Norther Chester County Sportsman Club in Elverson Membership is reasonable, nice facilities and people. Membership may be full now but put your name on the waiting list as spots open up around renewal time. Check website for datails (http://nccsc.us/)
    I'm not sure if I'd call the membership dues reasonable anymore. I've been a member for years and when I joined there was no application fee, and membership dues were $50 per year. I guess I missed the memo, because when I went to renew this year I see they're now asking for $100. Supply and demand, I guess. Now that they're full they decided to double the dues, and also charge a $100 application fee for noobs if space opens up because some members decide not to re-up this year. Based on the shenanigans that plagued the club in recent years and doubling the dues, I might be one of those opening up a spot.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Butler County)

I hate to say it, but sometimes it seems I had more places to shoot when I lived in the Empire State.
    Of course, that WAS over 10 years ago....

the shots you heard might be someone hunting chucks or crows on private land.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd call the membership dues reasonable anymore. I've been a member for years and when I joined there was no application fee, and membership dues were $50 per year. I guess I missed the memo, because when I went to renew this year I see they're now asking for $100. Supply and demand, I guess. Now that they're full they decided to double the dues, and also charge a $100 application fee for noobs if space opens up because some members decide not to re-up this year. Based on the shenanigans that plagued the club in recent years and doubling the dues, I might be one of those opening up a spot.
    If you show up for one workday (Saturday or Wednesday evening) during the year you get $50 off annual dues. Still very reasonable in my opinion.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fitter View Post
    If you show up for one workday (Saturday or Wednesday evening) during the year you get $50 off annual dues. Still very reasonable in my opinion.
    In that case, I agree and appreciate you letting me know. I haven't seen that anywhere on the web page or in the newsletters, and my opportunity to use the club or attend work days and meetings are very limited due to my work schedule so if it's general knowledge that I missed along the way, that's on me.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast