Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is It possible to build a AR without out a FFL

I have built Muzzle loaders for years. I bought a DPMS AR last year and now I am thinking of building one. Is it possible to build a AR without having to get parts that need a FFL? Where is a good list of quality parts for a AR?

Grizz
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Is It possible to build a AR without out a FFL

The following link has every part you could possibly need to build a AR without a ffl... I just hope you have a drill press...

http://www.ftfindustries.com/ar-15___m-16.htm
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

It is possible. The lower receiver is the only part that requires an FFL to buy. You can get an 80% completed lower receiver without an FFL. You must complete it yourself. The resulting rifle must be for your personal use, i.e. you have no intention of selling it. You still must meet Federal and State requirements for firearm ownership. If you cannot buy one, you cannot build one either.

Thanks
    I do own a drill press. Ownership is not a problem
    Any parts you can recommend?
    Grizz
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Allegheny County)

Is an AR not a rifle?

Is a stripped lower not the only part that is considered a "rifle"?

Can rifles not be sold FTF?

ETA:
    I just noticed that you are in Wisconsin... I do not know if what I posted applies.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Building and rebuild a muzzleloader is easy I go to Track of the Wolf or Dixie guns and I can get any part I need without a FFl. Building an AR Looks to be a bit more exacting.

An AR is a rifle
    Is a stripped lower not the only part that is considered a "rifle"? I am not sure how complete an assemble needs to be to be considered a rifle.

Can rifles not be sold FTF? I am not sure what FTF stands for.

I have been to the dark side (black powder) for so long I had forgotten how much fun a semi auto can be. Went shootin with some friends last year tried their AR and decided I needed one. Found this site started reading and found out you can build an AR so my next project will be one. I gotta lot of research to do before I start though.
    These new fangle guns with gas tubes and mag wells seem a bit more intense than a piece of flint and some 3F.
    Grizz

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    Building and rebuild a muzzleloader is easy I go to Track of the Wolf or Dixie guns and I can get any part I need without a FFl. Building an AR Looks to be a bit more exacting.

An AR is a rifle
    Is a stripped lower not the only part that is considered a "rifle"? I am not sure how complete an assemble needs to be to be considered a rifle.

Can rifles not be sold FTF? I am not sure what FTF stands for.

I have been to the dark side (black powder) for so long I had forgotten how much fun a semi auto can be. Went shootin with some friends last year tried their AR and decided I needed one. Found this site started reading and found out you can build an AR so my next project will be one. I gotta lot of research to do before I start though.
    These new fangle guns with gas tubes and mag wells seem a bit more intense than a piece of flint and some 3F.
    Grizz
    Sorry. FTF= Face To Face. I know that in PA, we can sell rifles face to face. No need for an FFL to be involved.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Here in Wiscosnin I can buy a gun from a private owner with out an FFL being involved. Gun shops and gunshows an FFL and background check is required. If the gun is from a private collection at a gun show I can buy it without an FFL. It can be strange at a gun show sometimes. The seller might have part of a private collection he is selling and no FFL or background check is needed. The rest of his stuff is from the business and that has to be FFL and background check. The private collection stuff is usually marked as such.
    I bought a auto ordinance M1 carbine that way at a gun show a couple of years ago. The guy had a gun rack on his table with some misc. military guns on it. I had been looking for a M1 carbine found this really nice one in his rack. It was 150 less that all the others I had the bucks so we dickered a little and I walked away with the gun, a sling and oiler, 2 clips, original bayonet and scabbard, and 2 boxes of ammo. The seller asked
    which side of the rack it was on I told him and he says oh that is the private side no paperwork needed. Bess deal I have gotten.

Grizz

(York County)

Wink Re: Is It possible to build a AR without out a FFL

I see from the FTF site you can order
    M-16 M4 TRI-BURST 3 Position Safe - Semi - 3 Shot BurstTrigger Group.

http://www.ftfindustries.com/m16fullautopage.htm

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't that be considered a machinegun if the parts where installed and therefore would be illegal without a class 3 license?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta Bob View Post
    I see from the FTF site you can order
    M-16 M4 TRI-BURST 3 Position Safe - Semi - 3 Shot BurstTrigger Group.

http://www.ftfindustries.com/m16fullautopage.htm

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't that be considered a machinegun if the parts where installed and therefore would be illegal without a class 3 license?
    Alot of the parts sold on the site are for class 2 manufacturers... and yes if they were installed your AR would be considered a MG...
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast