(Carbon County)

Default PA Bill for Background Checks for Ammunition Sales

House of Representatives
    Session of 2017 - 2018 Regular Session
    MEMORANDUM
    Posted: February 24, 2017 12:06 PM
    To: All House members
    Subject: Background Checks for Ammunition Sales

In the near future, I will be introducing a bill that would regulate the sale of ammunition in the same way that firearm sales are currently regulated.

Under my bill, only a licensed dealer may sell ammunition. It does not create a separate license for ammunition sales, but rather allows a business to use its existing license to sell both firearms and ammunition. When a person wishes to purchase ammunition, the licensee would have to contact the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS), and the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) would conduct a background investigation. A person who is prohibited by state law from possessing a firearm would also be prohibited from purchasing and possessing ammunition.

Moreover, my bill would allow individuals to apply for a PSP ammunition purchase authorization which if approved, would last for four years, and allow an individual to purchase ammunition during that time period without the need to get a background check for every ammunition purchase. The purchase authorization would be revoked by the PSP upon the occurrence of an event which would disqualify a person from purchasing a firearm or ammunition. Additionally, my bill codifies the existing procedure requiring handguns ordered online to first be shipped to a licensee for a PICS check, and applies this same procedure to online ammunition purchases.

Pennsylvania does not currently regulate ammunition sales, so any retail store or Internet website can sell ammunition. The perpetrator of the 2012 mass shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, was able to order more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition online in a process that the New York Times described as “pretty much as easy as ordering a book from Amazon.” It makes sense to prevent those who should not possess a firearm from gaining access to the ammunition that is vital to the operation of all guns.

I believe that my bill would help reduce gun injury without unduly burdening responsible, law-abiding gun owners, as they will still be able to purchase their ammunition in the same store where they buy firearms. I ask that you please join me in co-sponsoring this important legislation.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...hoice=suppress
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: PA Bill for Background Checks for Ammunition Sales

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Hokkmike Guest

Thanks for sharing.

These are more useless bureaucratic road blocks that won't work and will never get passed.

Representative Brian Sims must be a Philly Democrat? YES - Here is more on the guy:

HARRISBURG, Feb. 8 – State Rep. Brian Sims, D-Phila., this week was elected vice chair of the PA SAFE caucus, which pushes for commonsense gun safety reforms in the Pennsylvania legislature.

"I'm honored that my colleagues chose me for this role, and I will continue advocating for much-needed gun safety laws in Pennsylvania. So much attention is paid to terrorism when many more Pennsylvanians and Americans die each year from so-called 'routine' gun violence. There is solid public support for reforms such as 'no fly, no buy' to keep people on the terror watch list from buying guns, for example," Sims said.

In the new legislative session, Sims plans to introduce new commonsense gun safety reforms he has crafted.

More information about the PA SAFE Caucus is available at www.pahouse.com/PASafe/

Sims is in his third term representing the 182nd Legislative District, which includes Rittenhouse, Fitler and Logan squares, the Gayborhood and parts of Washington Square West, Bella Vista, Hawthorne, Graduate Hospital and Queen Village.

Sims' constituent service office is located at 21 S. 12th St., Suite 182, Philadelphia; phone 215-246-1501. In addition to his website -- www.pahouse.com/Sims -- he provides information to constituents through his legislative Facebook and Twitter pages: www.facebook.com/RepBrianSims and www.twitter.com/repsims.

How about balancing the budget, or cutting spending you useless piece of shit?

(Delaware County)

(Susquehanna County)

Another politician from center city Philly.. POS! Needs to be voted out
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

I just called his phila. office and told his aide, "The day when you can get criminals to obey your law, then we will make a deal, It is mind boggeling that a person with your education and position is so clueless about the facts of life that laws are only for the law-abiding citizens."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    How about balancing the budget, or cutting spending you useless piece of shit?
    ^^^^ This
    DGAF

1. Wonder if PICS is geared up to run 10 times the checks that they do now.

2. The loon in Aurora wasn't barred from owning guns or ammo, nothing would have stopped him from buying 6,000 rounds at any gun shop. Which is where he bought his guns, after passing NICS.

It's amazing to me how irrational the hoplophobes are; this is hardly the first time that they propose to fix a specific problem with a solution that wouldn't fix that problem.

Yes, I can order 6,000 rounds of ammo and have it dropped off at my door. I can also purchase 500 gallons of gasoline without even showing ID. I can buy a ton of steel ball bearings that I could toss off bridges onto passing cars. I can get a driver's license without passing a criminal background check, and drive a truck into a crowd of people. I can buy butcher knives for cash, no records, no ID.

So what. Nobody has ever had an idiot-proof society. You can't make a nation child-safe. The way we deal with bad people is to identify them and lock them up, not strip away the rights of everyone else until it's physically impossible to do harm.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    I just called his phila. office and told his aide, "The day when you can get criminals to obey your law, then we will make a deal, It is mind boggeling that a person with your education and position is so clueless about the facts of life that laws are only for the law-abiding citizens."
    I have never even heard of this jackass but I suspect that he and his ilk are well aware that criminals laugh at any and all gun laws.People like him seem to be of the opinion that if they can make it harder for the law abiding to purchase guns and ammo then there will eventually be less guns to fall into the hands of criminals.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast