Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: PA Bill for Background Checks for Ammunition Sales

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    1. Wonder if PICS is geared up to run 10 times the checks that they do now.

2. The loon in Aurora wasn't barred from owning guns or ammo, nothing would have stopped him from buying 6,000 rounds at any gun shop. Which is where he bought his guns, after passing NICS.

It's amazing to me how irrational the hoplophobes are; this is hardly the first time that they propose to fix a specific problem with a solution that wouldn't fix that problem.

Yes, I can order 6,000 rounds of ammo and have it dropped off at my door. I can also purchase 500 gallons of gasoline without even showing ID. I can buy a ton of steel ball bearings that I could toss off bridges onto passing cars. I can get a driver's license without passing a criminal background check, and drive a truck into a crowd of people. I can buy butcher knives for cash, no records, no ID.

So what. Nobody has ever had an idiot-proof society. You can't make a nation child-safe. The way we deal with bad people is to identify them and lock them up, not strip away the rights of everyone else until it's physically impossible to do harm.
    Hear hear!

Not to mention, I -regularly- buy 2,000 rounds of ammo at a time. I just literally had 2,000 rounds delivered in the last 24 hours, and I buy 1-2,000 rounds -at least- monthly.

This does not make me a threat to public safety. This makes me a guy who probably shoots 15,000 rounds a year... I normally run through ~2-300 rounds a week at the range individually or even double/triple that if I'm taking along my wife/kids/guests. My brother and son and I went shooting Sunday and went through a good 800 rounds in one day: ~400 on the rifle range through 2 rifles, maybe ~200 on the plinking range and another ~200 at the indoor pistol range through 3 pistols.

About the most-dangerous thing you can say about me is that I should maybe make my wife, brother & son buy their own darn ammo! (I've certainly thought that a few times). In my brother's defense I should point out he generally swings a $20 or 3 at me on shooting days.

I prefer to keep a reasonable reserve on hand and NOT order ammo every couple weeks, thanks.

If I bought 6,000 rounds, it would simply mean I'd come into some ready cash and figured I'd get myself set for a couple months' worth.
    Last edited by KCJones; February 28th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
    DGAF

(Lancaster County)

PICS went down today, no idea if this happens often but my local gun shop can't sell guns right now.

Imagine if ammo could not be bought because the system is down for whatever reason......

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Nobody has ever had an idiot-proof society. You can't make a nation child-safe. The way we deal with bad people is to identify them and lock them up, not strip away the rights of everyone else until it's physically impossible to do harm.
    Beautifully said. Green chicklets even though you don't need 'em.
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    PICS went down today, no idea if this happens often but my local gun shop can't sell guns right now.

Imagine if ammo could not be bought because the system is down for whatever reason......
    Or if the government wanted to shut down sales by shutting down PICs. Not acceptable.

(Montgomery County)

PICS can barely handle the load just from firearm sales, there is no way that it would handle ammo sales as well unless more money is dumped into it. I'm guess that down the line the idea is to impose an ammo tax as well to find pics. More money out of law abiding people's pockets but the criminals will still have ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 19dscoutsout View Post
    PICS can barely handle the load just from firearm sales, there is no way that it would handle ammo sales as well unless more money is dumped into it. I'm guess that down the line the idea is to impose an ammo tax as well to find pics. More money out of law abiding people's pockets but the criminals will still have ammo.
    Has there ever been a government agency/department that hasn't gladly grown?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 19dscoutsout View Post
    The government don't do shit unless there's more money involved...
    DGAF

(Beaver County)

how do these people get elected?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    how do these people get elected?
    By voters voting for them... you know. Morons.

I'm gonna get flamed like hell for saying this, probably, but I'm in full support of IQ tests with minimums to vote. Or nearly any other way to limit the electorate to those with a clue.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Hear hear!

Not to mention, I -regularly- buy 2,000 rounds of ammo at a time. I just literally had 2,000 rounds delivered in the last 24 hours, and I buy 1-2,000 rounds -at least- monthly.

This does not make me a threat to public safety. This makes me a guy who probably shoots 15,000 rounds a year... I normally run through ~2-300 rounds a week at the range individually or even double/triple that if I'm taking along my wife/kids/guests. My brother and son and I went shooting Sunday and went through a good 800 rounds in one day: ~400 on the rifle range through 2 rifles, maybe ~200 on the plinking range and another ~200 at the indoor pistol range through 3 pistols.

About the most-dangerous thing you can say about me is that I should maybe make my wife, brother & son buy their own darn ammo! (I've certainly thought that a few times). In my brother's defense I should point out he generally swings a $20 or 3 at me on shooting days.

I prefer to keep a reasonable reserve on hand and NOT order ammo every couple weeks, thanks.

If I bought 6,000 rounds, it would simply mean I'd come into some ready cash and figured I'd get myself set for a couple months' worth.
    The last ammo I bought was a 400 or 500 round pack for the AR, about a month before the election, just after buying the AR. Haven't opened either box yet. <sigh>

Picked up 50 Golden Saber at Oaks in the fall for the cheapest I'd ever seen it. That said:

My last purchases to feed my 1911 for about 6 months were 1) 4,000 primers, 2) 3,000 poly-coated bullets, and 3) 3 lbs of powder. Got the powder and primers at Cabelas because they had a good price, I could walk in (no Haz-Mat fees), no sales tax (Delaware, yay!), and a standing 5% veteran discount. The mailman (excuse - postal carrier) must have hated me when the bullets showed up though - he brought 1 box of 1500 on Thursday and the other on Friday. I guess 50lb each was too much for his Jeep...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast