Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFL Etiquette

Default Re: FFL Etiquette

My version of proper etiquette would be that upon entering the front door you look down to your side at your beautiful open carry gun then turn your other side look down hakka good loogie on the floor then grab your nuts twice shrug your shoulders once then enjoy your shopping.

(Montgomery County)

In my experience, home FFL's are better to deal with for mail order/internet/out of state shipping etc. Again, this is my experience, but they tend to charge you less to receive and do the transfer (I have two that charge $25 which is the cheapest I've found in my area) and don't really care that you didn't buy something from them. They tend not to have a lot of inventory because they don't buy in the volume that a bigger shop does so often can't compete on price. When I've spoken to local shops about it either they charge a high price ($45+ or even a percentage of the cost of the gun which could skyrocket depending on what you've bought), or they kind of get annoyed and question you as to why you didn't buy it from them (to which my answer would be because your price was higher or it's something a bit rare that you don't have or couldn't easily get). These are just my experiences so yours might be different but because of these experiences I've found it a pleasure to deal with home FFL's that aren't competing with online sales.

(Adams County)

Thank you to all that have responded with useful information! I knew there had to be a few more steps in there than I was thinking.

I have also looked into the CMP for those that mentioned it but I know their selection is extremely limited right now and most of what I read online doesn't necessarily make me hopeful that it's going to get any better in the future so I keep an eye on it from time to time. The special field grade currently available may be the direction I end up going but I need to work on satisfying all the membership requirements first.

So what is you price range?
    That kind of depends on both the rifle in question and quite honestly, sometimes the time of day for me. I want something in fair-good condition that I can shoot but isn't necessarily a collector's item but I also want to hang it on the wall as the piece of artwork that it is. If we're talking FTF transfers, it also depends on the distance I have to drive to pick it up. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that it's going to cost upwards of $1K-$1,200 unless I decide to go through CMP but then again, people seem to have nothing but good things to say about CMP.

(Indiana County)

Get your C&R license.
    $30 and you can have it shipped to your door.
    You apply for the license, once it comes in you make copies and a scan.
    You now have your own ffl to use.

My buddy just got his, took three weeks to get it.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Get your C&R license.
    $30 and you can have it shipped to your door.
    You apply for the license, once it comes in you make copies and a scan.
    You now have your own ffl to use.

My buddy just got his, took three weeks to get it.
    Considering my interests lie mostly in older/milsurp firearms, that actually sounds like an excellent idea that I never considered. Thank you!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by theCreature8 View Post
    Considering my interests lie mostly in older/milsurp firearms, that actually sounds like an excellent idea that I never considered. Thank you!
    Some places like Brownells also give you a discount.

Some sellers won't honor C&R licenses, but many do.
    Just remember it's not a license to buy and sell.
    Keep your record book in good order and you'll be fine.

I've probably saved over $3000 in transfer fees by having a C&R and I've also avoided the hassle of going to the dealer and waiting for PICS.

(York County)

I would suggest Gettysburg Trading Post for the transfer if you decide to go that route. Lowest transfer fee in the area. Very friendly too, and decent used prices. Callng first is a good idea, they will call back when it is in.

They had 2 in stock last time I looked, but were asking 1.5k.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I would suggest Gettysburg Trading Post for the transfer if you decide to go that route. Lowest transfer fee in the area. Very friendly too, and decent used prices. Callng first is a good idea, they will call back when it is in.

They had 2 in stock last time I looked, but were asking 1.5k.
    Yeah, I just looked at their inventory list on the website and they still have two listed for that price. Seems at least a few hundred steeper than most of the private sellers I've seen online but I may go check them out this weekend anyway since I'm not very far away and wouldn't mind taking a look at their other items. At the very least, I can probably meet some people and talk about potential FFL transfers in the future. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12