Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concealed carry option

Keys, and pocket knife in right pocket, loose change in left pocket.
    Carrying right side holster for 30 years, not changing now.

(Bucks County)

I do pocket carry fairly often when I'm wearing shorts/t-shirt in the summer... I've done it with a HK P2000SK (a little big), used to carry a Springfield XD-S, but have moved to a rather slim Ruger LC-9s Pro.

In all cases, an appropriate holster is a necessity. As with everything else, practice often (with an unloaded weapon, of course) and make sure it is easy. I've not had an issue with any of my looser clothing.

As with all things, your individual mileage will vary.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Philadelphia County)

Even with pocket carry you need a holster to cover the trigger guard and maintain proper orientation.
    For me with a 380, IWB is more comfortable, faster draw, and more comfortable when sitting.

If you like pocket, that's fine. Not for me, thank you.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Here's my question...we all conceal carry, and we all have pockets, Why is there even another option?....Simply curious, thats all. And yes, it work with shorts as well, however thats where the small LCP comes in
    My pockets are full of cash. I don't want to be in the situation of pulling out my gun to shoot someone only to end up offering him $50.

(York County)

Every time I've tried it I've found two things:

1) The pockets are large enough to avoid printing... and the gun sits too far down inside and flops around even with a good pocket holster (e.g. cargo pants). Felt funky to have to 'go digging' for it and my hand had too much chance getting 'hung up' on the pocket edge going in.

2) The pockets are small / firm enough to keep the gun firmly in place (e.g. jeans)... and it prints badly AND I typically feel like I want the butt of the gun "out" of the pocket which isn't even "printing" but plain visible.

So for me, IWB (typically at 3:00) or OWB at 6:00 with a jacket/baggy shirt works best for me.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    So for me, IWB (typically at 3:00) or OWB at 6:00 with a jacket/baggy shirt works best for me.
    If you carry it at 1:00, every time you scratch your balls you can pat your gun and tell it "good boy", without much extra effort.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    If you carry it at 1:00, every time you scratch your balls you can pat your gun and tell it "good boy", without much extra effort.
    I find 1:00 uncomfortable especially when sitting, which is often.

Plus as you point out, uncomfortable proximity of firearm and nuts... not to mention femoral artery.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I find 1:00 uncomfortable especially when sitting, which is often.

Plus as you point out, uncomfortable proximity of firearm and nuts... not to mention femoral artery.
    Well, in that case, carry at 6 clock. Then you can pat your gun and tell it "good boy" whenever you scratch your ass. Only risk there is you may end up sitting with two assholes.

(:

Every time I've tried it I've found two things:

1) The pockets are large enough to avoid printing... and the gun sits too far down inside and flops around even with a good pocket holster (e.g. cargo pants). Felt funky to have to 'go digging' for it and my hand had too much chance getting 'hung up' on the pocket edge going in.

2) The pockets are small / firm enough to keep the gun firmly in place (e.g. jeans)... and it prints badly AND I typically feel like I want the butt of the gun "out" of the pocket which isn't even "printing" but plain visible.

This, plus there is absolutely no good clean or fast way to draw from a seated position like while in a car or a booth at a restaurant both of which are very plausible situations. Another disadvantage would be if you are jumped or tackled, another plausible situation where having a OWB/ IWB would be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Also, at one point I was considering it (pocket carry) and then went out to eat with my wife and son and realized the pistol would be pointing directly at them. Stopped considering it then.
    That sounds like an argument the liberals would use ... guns going off unexpectedly and shooting someone. If there is even the most remote possibility of your properly holstered pocket carry gun going off in your pocket, then you need a better carry gun!

'Not covering something you don't wish to destroy' is a good rule when handling a gun, but with a properly holstered modern gun with the trigger covered, that is not an issue!
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast