Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concealed carry option

It's funny. The OP seems puzzled as to why everyone doesn't pocket carry. (yes, I caught the part about smallish guns)

I'm always wondering how the heck anyone CAN pocket carry! LOL

We all tend to see things from our own perspective and I couldn't even remotely carry a handgun in my pants pocket, so it's hard for me to grasp how others can do it. It took a while for me to realized that most pocket carriers are... "larger fellows" who apparently wear large pants with large pockets, making this much more workable.
    I'm not wearing skinny jeans myself, but really - there's no way I could carry even my P32 in my pocket and actually be able to get to it if I needed it. And it would be incredibly uncomfortable. Maybe in cargo pants, but not jeans.

On top of that, I can't stand having crap in my pockets. A money clip is as much bulk as I'm able to stand. My DL, LTCF and a debit card in the other pocket. If I get change (coins) for a purchase and I'm within a short walk to my vehicle, I hold it in my hand and deposit it in the console the moment I get in. If I put change in my pocket, I empty it the moment I'm able.
    Weird? Probably.

If someone else can carry in the pocket and do so safely, that's fine by me. It's not something I can do.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If someone else can carry in the pocket and do so safely, that's fine by me. It's not something I can do.
    Ditto. I've tried it. No-way-no-how for me.

If it works for others, great!
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Everything has compromises including pocket carry.
    Very true!

Jacket pocket carry is one of my most often used carry methods for a small pistol. In a regular denim jacket or my leather jacket , a draw is simple and smooth. And keeping my hands in my pocket , with pistol in my right hand , does not look out of place.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Pocket carry, has its place. Just like IWB, OWB, shoulder holsters, ankle holsters, belly-bands, fanny packs, off-body carry (purses/briefcases) etc.

You have to know the pros and cons to each, train and practice with each, then make the decision on what best suits your individual needs.
    If you truly plan to carry 24/7/365 - it just might be important to be proficient with several of the above carry techniques.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

^^^^^ this

..........never understood why anyone would pocket carry. IMO 1) it's much slower on the draw than a Kydex OWB. 2) There isn't enough room in my pocket. 3) I don't want to be fumbling around my gun when digging for change, pocket holster or not. 4) drawing your weapon in a jiffy while seated is really tough.
    And that's just a few good reasons off the top...
    Last edited by sixgunluv; March 4th, 2017 at 12:51 AM.

(Bucks County)

As the OP, I'll respond;
    1, i find it no slower then an IWB holster at 4. Actually a
    little quicker, but thats my practiced experience.
    2, get bigger pockets. I'm not a big guy however I have no issues with pocket size. That being said, i have had the right front pockets on a couple pair of jeans enlarged. I bought the material and the lasy at the dry cleaner charged me 5 bucks.
    3, don't carry anything else in your holster pocket or you're asking for trouble.
    4, I can't imagine Johnny Ringo coming in to a place and wanting a fast draw contest while I'm seated. Its not that difficult to rearrange your gear when you sit.9
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Very true!

Jacket pocket carry is one of my most often used carry methods for a small pistol. In a regular denim jacket or my leather jacket , a draw is simple and smooth. And keeping my hands in my pocket , with pistol in my right hand , does not look out of place.
    This.

I don't disagree with IWB or OWB or any other carry that's safe and comfortable; carry methods vary with the individual's preference and firearm. I personally prefer pocket carry. In three seasons, I generally carry in my coat/jacket pocket. In summer I carry a P32 in a pants pocket. At all times I have whatever I'm carrying in a pocket holster.

I once posted about pocket carry in a jacket on a different forum. One of the moderators pointed out that looking over a parking lot with my hands in a pocket was signalling insecurity to potential attackers. To me, it more likely looks like I'm trying to remember where I put my car while keeping my hands warm.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

I get that not everyone appreciates pocket carry, thats fine. To each his or her own.

For those do, a little fyi. After a few years with my Sticky holsters, they weren't so sticky anymore. Went to a craft store and picked up some 2" velcro tape and wrapped around the outside of all my Stickys. Voila, better then new. Yes, I did try the oft mentioned rubber band, and although it worked I wasn't quite as comfy as I am with the velcro.

Wife just shook her head as I changed trousers ( not pants, dammit...I was a Marine) and practiced with both the LCP and G43. Lol
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Beaver County)

good idea.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast