Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Traveling PA to MO...

Okay, guys, I know this has been discussed before, but given various changes in the rules (esp. in MO), thought I'd like to get current info:

I'm driving from PA to MO, passing through OH, IN, IL along the way. Keen to take both rifle and pistol because A) I'll be in St. Louis, not the safest place in the world + I just daily carry as a habit, and B) I'll be staying at the family farm with ample shooting opportunities.

If I'm right, this is the deal:

I'm valid in PA (LTCF of course). I'm valid in MO (they honor all other states and it's constitutional carry anyway). So FOPA applies. I'm good in IN, we have reciprocity. So OH and IL are where I'll be depending on FOPA and have to be properly stowed for that. I'm not sure if OH's "duty to inform" applies to out of state / FOPA situations.

Basically it boils down to "drive the speed limit and avoid stopping" in OH and IL. Hope like hell they remember FOPA if I'm pulled over. Need to find out if I have to inform in OH, should it be necessary.

OR, should I suck up the ~3 hours extra drive time and do PA, WV, KY, MO and no problems.

Hell, for 3 hours difference, I think I just answered my own question... but still, comments/info welcome.
    DGAF

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Traveling PA to MO...

According to handgunlaw.us, the PA ltcf is valid in Ohio.
    ...and they have a plan...

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

Basically it boils down to "drive the speed limit and avoid stopping" in OH and IL. Hope like hell they remember FOPA if I'm pulled over. Need to find out if I have to inform in OH, should it be necessary.
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/L...ity-Agreements

Illinois is always a problem. I try to minimize it when possible, but it is hard to do. Basically, stop before going in, gas up, eat and take a bio break and then go through the State without stopping and don't spend a nickle.

I believe you have reciprocity with Ohio but, according to the NRA-ILA website it is a "must inform" state.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post

Illinois is always a problem. I try to minimize it when possible, but it is hard to do. Basically, stop before going in, gas up, eat and take a bio break and then go through the State without stopping and don't spend a nickle.

I believe you have reciprocity with Ohio but, according to the NRA-ILA website it is a "must inform" state.
    I was going by PAFOA's reciprocity page at http://blabber.buzz/politics/106164-...ondents-dinner that doesn't list Ohio.

But I'll take the OH AG's site over PAFOA for validity... Thanks!
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post

PS - Yeah, that site is pretty clear. Exactly why I asked the question...

Thanks!
    DGAF

(York County)

FWIW, after speaking with my brother (who's also going) we're taking the 'southern route' if for no other reason than I-70 through OH, IN, IL is mind-numbingly boring.

But no harm in any more info about the "northern" route for the general edification if anyone cares to share.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Ohio accepts your LTCF. Duty to inform while carrying does not discriminate based on the state of your licensure.

Licensed individuals may carry in the car in Illinois. And outside the car, but only so much as is necessary to get out of the car and lock it in the trunk.

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Ohio accepts your LTCF. Duty to inform while carrying does not discriminate based on the state of your licensure.

Licensed individuals may carry in the car in Illinois. And outside the car, but only so much as is necessary to get out of the car and lock it in the trunk.

IANAL
    That last bit of information is very useful. Where did you get it? I had thought that Illinois was, like MD, NY, NJ, strictly FOPA (handgun unloaded in trunk (or out of reach of passenger compartment if no trunk) and ammo cased separately, also beyond reach). I'll renew my own research on this point, but any leads would be appreciated.

IL is not that big of a deal. I would avoid Shitcago just cuz.

EDIT!
    Sorry clicked the wrong link initially and mistakenly posted Indiana
    Corrected below

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

RV/Car Carry (Without a Valid Permit/License)

You can’t carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a valid Permit/license.
    430 ILCS 66/40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
    vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
    evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
    residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in
    accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
    Subsection (b) of Section 65 States:
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of
    subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a
    prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a
    concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a
    firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view
    within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area
    surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or
    retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove
    compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the
    vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    Note: If you stop you can store the loaded handgun in the vehicle in a closed compartment in a locked
    vehicle or in a locked case out of view in the vehicle. You can only leave your vehicle with a loaded
    handgun to store it in the trunk and retrieve it from the trunk right before you enter your vehicle.You can
    store it as specified in the law above

Note: 20 IL Administrative Rules Section 1231.10 Definitions "Within a Vehicle" means within the
    passenger compartment of a passenger or recreational vehicle or within a lockable container secured to a
    motorcycle.
    Note: See “Chicago and Laser Sights” In the Places Off Limits Section as Laser Sights are Illegal in
    Chicago.

Note: If you are traveling and don’t have a permit/license from your state of residence you can transport the
    firearm unloaded and secured in a case in the trunk or in the back of an SUV. You must be able to legally
    possess the firearm in your state of residence. You can take it into your Motel/Hotel Room if they don’t ban
    firearms in their Motel/Hotel.
    Title 18 > Part 1 > Chapter 44 > § 926A
    § 926A. Interstate Transportation Of Firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
    subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
    or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry
    such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
    ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment
    of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the
    driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove
    compartment or console.
    From the IL State Police: Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
    No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed in a case and the individual possessing the firearm
    and ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card.
    From the IL State Police: Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I travel?
    Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The critical question is how the firearm was carried into the room
    and transported in a vehicle. Those actions must be done lawfully
    Last edited by God's Country; February 26th, 2017 at 11:27 AM.

(Bucks County)

Gotta wonder if the "lock it in the trunk" laws were written by environ mentals trying to force people out of SUVs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast