Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My scratched Beretta frame is refinished, before and after photos

Here is a link to the before pictures. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=314942

It came back yesterday from Mahovskys. Turn around time was almost exactly thirty days as the website said. Im very pleased with it although the last photo will show its not perfect. The underside of the trigger guard has some sort of spotting. Ill probably send him a photo of it and see what is said. It doesnt really bother me but Im putting it out there for those of you considering using his services. Communication has been great thus far by the way. Although hes in Pa I never heard of Mahovskys until it was recommended here. If doing it over I would probably not have had the controls done. Since they were stainless they were in good shape. The trigger pull is feeling a little gritty but Im shooting it today and hoping it smoothes out. Heres the pics, let me know what you think, Brian.

Last edited by bripro; February 25th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Default Re: My scratched Beretta frame is refinished, before and after photos

Nice work. Their prices on the website seem very reasonable. Did they charge extra to buff out the scratches?

I have a 1907 Colt in .45LC that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. The finish is trashed and my uncle's father-in-law etched his SSN on the barrel in electric pencil. I'd like to get the etching removed and the entire revolver refinished. I already know a refinish won't help the value but the current condition puts it at the bottom of the value scale. Besides, I'm not planning to sell.

Nice work ! But whats gong on with the inside of the trigger guard ??

(Chester County)

That's a really nice-looking Beretta 92....
    - bamboomaster

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Nice work ! But whats gong on with the inside of the trigger guard ??
    Is that some kind of long scratch?.....beautifully done otherwise.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Looks awesome man. How much did it run you??

(Lancaster County)

He did not charge any extra due to the scratches. The website said on aluminum frames, such as this one, it is first coated in some sort of nickel. Perhaps it was bead blasted first. There is evidence of this on the inside of the frame near the dust cover. It says this is necessary for the "metalife" finish to properly adhere.

There were no scratches on the inside of the trigger guard when I sent it in. As mentioned in the opening thread this is a noticeable imperfection. I'm not too concerned about it but showing it here for anyone who might be considering using his services. It cannot be felt by hand and appears to be some sort of drying stain. I plan to take better pictures of it and email them to Mohivskys and see what they have to say about it. For anyone curious the cost of the finish work was $100 and he charges 18 to ship it back.
    Last edited by bripro; February 25th, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

Someone suggested that the spot under the trigger guard may be some oil that was baked on. A little bit of Hoppes number nine and some scrubbing got it off. I won't say anything and let the forum decide if quality control may be an issue at Mahovskys.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Beaver County)

That is outstanding. I'm glad you didn't try to polish it because that would make the shitty sanding job the previous owner did more apparent. I went through the same process with my Ruger GP100. I polished it to a mirror shine after buffing it with steel wool and it looked like shit. I got an air compressor and sandblasted it. The result was a very nice matte finish indoors but in sunlight, the etching from the individual grains of sand (yes, I used actual sand) almost sparkle. If it ever gets roughed up and needs redone or you want to try a knife or something, sandblasting is a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Someone suggested that the spot under the trigger guard may be some oil that was baked on. A little bit of Hoppes number nine and some scrubbing got it off. I won't say anything and let the forum decide if quality control may be an issue at Mahovskys.

I am new on the forum, but I will say that Mahovsky's has been plating for me for damn near 30 years. I read alot of posts about him only do commercial work and some saying things about his quality. Metalife has always done top notch work for me and my finishes are like brand new. The Metalife hard chrome is literally indestructable. Had the bolt done on one of my rifles and through thousands of rounds, it withstood the friction and i swear my weapon actually function BETTER with the Metalife. I know Ron Mahovsky from being such a long time very satisfied customer. I even bought several of his ROY ROGERS Rugers that him and Roy Rogers and Bill Ruger designed. In my opinion, your Beretta looks awesome. Metalife will enhance blemishes that are already on your gun. Metalife does NOT SCRATCH - I have been very rough on my 44 Marlin Lever Action as my number one hunting rifle that was Metalifed 20 years ago, and I am here to tell you that the finish looks brand new still. All these comments about Metalife returning stuff scratched, I am not believing it. The finish does not scratch; therefore, the imperfections must have been present with your old finish and Metalife just enhanced it. I will not have anybody else plate for me, . . . Mahovsky Metallife is quality and durable and that is coming from a 30 year customer of his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast