Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Best $50.00 accessory for my AR-15-Look-

A couple of months ago I picked up an unfired pre-ban Bushmaster Ar-15 for the low $ of $550, I havent fired it yet, And then today I stopped by my local shop and while browsing a gent came in to sell a couple of rifles, I had no interest in what he was selling till he mentioned a box of 1000 rounds of .223, Shop owner said he wouldnt buy the ammo, So I asked him about the ammo when all deals were done, The box is labeled 5.56mm XM855PD cartridge, (green tipped) I asked him what he wanted, He said "fifty bucks" So I paid him his price and tossed the ammo in the back of my truck, The casing is marked LC 02, And there is a cross in a circle as well,
    What do I have here?
    Is it good for the AR?
    Is it Lake city?
    What does the green tip stand for?
    I think I did pretty good, I dont know what this stuff sells for. Can anyone tell me more about the ammo?
    And yes, Here is a pic!

Peter.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Best $50.00 accessory for my AR-15-Look-

Put a magnet up to the bullet and see if it sticks...they may be steel core bullets.

(Chester County)

it IS lake city and its steel penetrator rounds

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...oduct1006.html
    link to the ammo there VERY nice price on that you paid ;p

and if you dont want to keep it... ill give you $100 for the lot ;p thats a 200% markup im willing to pay
    Last edited by c.sander; September 6th, 2008 at 01:01 PM.

(Northampton County)

It looks to be poorly reloaded worn out lake city cases. It's junk and probably dangerous. Give it to me and I'll dispose of it. I'll even give you $20 for helping to make the shooting world a safer place because I'm just that nice of a guy.

(Philadelphia County)

120 rounds for $99 bucks,,, That would be 825 dollars for 1000 rounds!!!!!!!!I guess that $50 for 1000 rounds IS IS IS IS a good deal!
    Yup, tip sticks to magnet,,, I guess steel core.
    I think I need to stop at the local 7-11 and get one of those lottery ticket things, And If I am really lucky my garage wont flood with the promised rain today!
    Downside to 1000 rounds of this stuff, Now I want a Bolt action rifle for the ammo!

Peter.
    Last edited by pred; September 6th, 2008 at 01:05 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Looks like it could be something like this: http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

Did pretty good at 50 bucks regardless.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    120 rounds for $99 bucks,,, That would be 825 dollars for 1000 rounds!!!!!!!!I guess that $50 for 1000 rounds IS IS IS IS a good deal!
    Yup, tip sticks to magnet,,, I guess steel core.
    I think I need to stop at the local 7-11 and get one of those lottery ticket things, And If I am really lucky my garage wont flood with the promised rain today!
    Downside to 1000 rounds of this stuff, Now I want a Bolt action rifle for the ammo!

Peter.
    you dont need a bolt action... this is the type of round meant to be used in an m16 / ar... not for long distance bolt action sniping or bench rest stuff... its for killing people and penetrating through them junk for a bolt action but great for your ar

(Northampton County)

Good stuff is probably worth about $650 nowadays but the PD is only worth about $400 max, probably less. Still an incredible deal.

The PD usually has some problems - dirty (not a problem), poor primer/neck sealant (not a problem), dented cases, excessive bullet setback, bullets set to inconsistent depths, loose bullets, bent bullets. You posted a small pic but the "PD" you have looks like the best I have ever seen. Inspect all the rounds for projectile issues or really bad dents, shoot anything that looks good.

Yes, there is a steel insert in the bullet. You cannot shoot at almost all indoor ranges or even some outdoor ranges.

(Berks County)

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m855.htm

For your info. The little circle with a cross is the NATO marking. Its what is currently issued to most of our troops. Well this is probably 2nd run stuff they wont issue to the troops cause it doesn't quite meet specs. But still completely safe to fire. Its got the steel-tipped SS109 round. Its loaded to 5.56 specs so i would avoid firing it in guns chamber for 223. It has a greater pressure than standard 223. If the bushmaster you picked up is marked MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 or 1/9 on the barrel i would shoot it or save it for when you might need it. It's usually on the end of the barrel near the flash hider.

Just make sure your AR is chambered for 5.56 and i would have fun. If its not I don't know that I would shoot that through it.

Edit: I would not shoot this through any bolt action rifle what so ever unless you know it is specifically chambered in 5.56. Most bolt actions are 223.
    Last edited by Kenshin; September 6th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Philadelphia County)

AWESOME DEAL!

Remember, a lot of ranges do not allow the use of those.

Save that ammo for Zombies, Civil War, or Chinese/Russian/U.N. invasion.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast