Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Open Carry Holster question

Now i am comfortable drawing either way. what are your guys opinions on a cross draw holster for open carry? do you think it would be safer from a disarming stand point.
    "When western Civilization Melts Down I Want An AK-47" Richard Venola Editor Combat Arms

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Open Carry Holster question

Quote Originally Posted by Comrad View Post
    what are your guys opinions on a cross draw holster for open carry? do you think it would be safer from a disarming stand point.
    Not necessarily. The pistol is oriented in such a way that the grip is presented to a potential gun grabber in a "take me" sort of way.

(Westmoreland County)

would it be a better way to have it on the front part of my hip i always concel that way. what i mean is not on my side but in the front
    "When western Civilization Melts Down I Want An AK-47" Richard Venola Editor Combat Arms

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Comrad View Post
    would it be a better way to have it on the front part of my hip i always concel that way. what i mean is not on my side but in the front
    These kinds of questions are difficult to answer in absolute terms. Wearing it in front rather than the side may help but what if the gun grabber approaches from your strong side? In this case he'd still be positioned to get a solid "grip index" on the pistol.

I mentioned in another thread that even retention holsters are not 100% effective. What they do is buy you time to react. The question is, do you know what to do once the struggle for your pistol is in play?

(Westmoreland County)

i guess which ever way i choose it comes down to situational awareness.

(Jefferson County)

TonyF pointed out some things to seriously consider if you choose a cross-draw.

There are advantages and disadvantages to them - just like strongside holsters. Either way you better mind your environment and practice active retention methods(grabbing your gun that a BG just (tried to)pulled from your holster).

I carry a Ruger Vaquero in a high ride cross-draw. However it is located generally at 10:00 to 11:00, not at 9:00. If trained properly, a cross draw can be much faster than any strong side draw in a pull and COM shoot at pointing/arms reach range where you dont have time to line up sights. From the time you touch your grips, you can be on target with one motion - versus two or more from a strong side holster.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

If you open carry is it your responsibility to have a snatch proof holster as nearly all uniformed police how have???

If you open carry are you making your gun accessible to any nut job with a baseball bat and an element of suprise?

just wondering. I like to have the element of suprise on my side.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    If you open carry is it your responsibility to have a snatch proof holster as nearly all uniformed police how have???

If you open carry are you making your gun accessible to any nut job with a baseball bat and an element of suprise?

just wondering. I like to have the element of suprise on my side.
    There is no responsibility to have your gun in a holster at all.

You are just accessible to being bludgeoned by a baseball bat whether open or concealed. Either way, a BG will rifle through your possessions after caving your head in. And theres also the point that there is no documented proof or case history that an open carry person has been singled out for attack. ..but rather the opposite - that the BG's have fled after having seen the firearm. (excluding LEO and security entanglements).
    Last edited by knight0334; September 6th, 2008 at 02:05 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the advice guys you all have gave me a few things to think about