Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I poked around arfcom and other places for info on bolt carrier groups and the only unanimous decision is that LMT is the only BCG that is "worthy" of use.

That said, I'm not paying $263 + shipping for one. (oh, that's not for a BCG - it's JUST the assembled BOLT)
    As far as "all other inferior units" go, I'm not finding much to go on, so I think I'll just get the $99 or the $109 BCG from AIM Surplus and call it a day. As near as I can tell, the only difference between those two is that the one that's $109 is Nitride coated.
    I don't honestly know what that means and I assume it's just a "slick" coating - maybe it would be easier to clean?

I'm not ordering it yet though, so if anyone does have a better alternative to suggest, please say so.
    I have one of those in my LMT 5.56, also with an enhanced carrier. I picked it up brand new for 170.00 at the Monroeville gun show. I believe they go for over 300.00.

LMT makes top notch stuff, but 263.00 for just a bolt is expensive.

(Allegheny County)

Look! You can buy a complete upper with BCG and all for $279.99!
    Midway has them on sale again - this is the price they were on Black Friday. Good deal.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Well, ain't this a kick in the balls?

Since I now have the barrel and hand guard on the upper I went to put it onto the CAV-15 lower and I can't get it on.
    The takedown pins are giving me trouble as the holes aren't lining up 100% - just off by a hair, but enough that I'm having trouble getting the rear pin through.

I'm not going to panic yet. There's some flash around the seams from when it was molded that could be cleaned up with a razor or file - I'm wondering if there's a spot that needs cleaned up that's throwing it off. Like I said, it doesn't seem off by much.
    Instructions I've read say that it IS intentionally a tight fit and that it will "wear in" in time - that the pins may need to be tapped in with a wooden mallet initially. I didn't want to go beating on them until I first try trimming off the excess flash.

I started looking around to see if anyone else ran into this issue and how they resolved it. I did see one mention of it, but I haven't seen if he posted a solution.

I did find a VERY well done tutorial on how to install a LPK into one!

(Allegheny County)

While we wait for me to solve my upper/lower problem, here's a few shots of the handguard I bought.

Rainier Arms Evolution 11" Keymod - yes, Keymod. (blech!) I hate the look of the slots, but this one only has them on the sides and on teh bottom. I like the overall look of it.
    They run about $165 new. I got it used (hence the paint) for $75 shipped.

It's manufactured by Samson and has been on the market for at least 5 or 6 years, so it may be getting dated looking, but I'm happy with it.
    The weight is good, the diameter of the tube is pretty slim, there are no sharp edges, and it's super-easy to install.

Really, if you have the IQ of a hard boiled egg, you can put this on in 60 seconds. It uses a standard barrel nut, so no funky barrel nut and no need for a special wrench, unique to the rail.
    You slip the "thermal bushings" over the barrel nut, slide the handguard onto that, lining up the internal grooves, and snug up the two screws on the bottom with a hex key. Done.

The color looks different in different lighting. It's some sort of funky greenish, yellow, brown.
    It's different. I may keep it that way and paint other things to match, or I may use it as a base for a camo paint job.

Aervoe Field Drab 30118

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Mi...age-Paint.html

(Allegheny County)

UPDATE on the upper/lower fitment issue mentioned above:

I have a total of TWO of the CAV-15 lowers and plan to use the other for my wife's lightweight build.
    When I couldn't get this upper onto my lower I started to panic, assuming the holes were "off".
    I tried the other lower and it didn't want to go on that one either.

I remembered having my 5.56 upper on one of these - I took photos as seen in the initial post.
    So if I had it mated up before, why won't it go on now???

I started trying different uppers on each of the two CAV-15 lowers. Each fit slightly differently.
    You would think that the polymer lower would be fully at fault here - that all forged milspec uppers would be identical.
    Clearly that is not the case. Without getting into every step I took and which upper fit/didn't fit/varied in certain specs, I'll just say that I was able to get my wife's Anderson upper on the CAV-15 lower that I couldn't get my 7.62 upper on and I was finally able to get my 7.62 upper on the other CAV-15 lower - with some hammering.

As I said, they do mention that you may need to hammer the pins in initially. Certainly not the type of thing that a lot of people would be OK with, so I do mention it. They say that the pins need to be driven in/out initially. I'll be sure to update as it sees use to note whether the pins "loosen up".

I'll post a couple of pics...

(Allegheny County)

Completed (minus BCG/charging handle) 7.62x39 upper mated to CAV-15 polymer lower. (minus LK, yet to be installed)

(Allegheny County)

Coming soon for 7.62x39 AR15 mags!

LULA Loader/unloader coming July 2017

http://www.maglula.com/product/ar15-7-62x39-lula/

(Allegheny County)

Any thoughts on buffer weight I should use/try on this carbine? (adjustable gas block/mid length)

I have a standard carbine buffer on hand that I can use. I've seen mention of maybe wanting to use a "heavier" buffer.

There's the "H buffer" then there's the "H2" and "H3".

I may be placing an order for something else and thought it may make sense to add a buffer to the cart while I'm getting free shipping rather than needing to order a buffer all by itself later and paying shipping if I end up needing one.

I was thinking of getting an H or an H2 - just wasn't sure if the H would be too close in weight to a carbine buffer to even make a difference.

Thoughts?

(Armstrong County)

Dont waste money on something you dont know you need yet....of all people lol
    Free shipping is your kryptonite isn't it?

Try a standard weight buffer and see what happens. If your gas port is drilled to the right size, you should be good to go. If you want a softer recoil, then yes, like we talked earlier in the thread, buffer and(or) adj block. The adj block should eliminate the need for a buffer weight change though. Unless your gas port is really wrong lol.

Shoot it, look for ejection pattern/distance/location and go from there.
    I would assume between ARjohnson and myself, we have enough H/H1, H2, and H3 buffer we could meet at the range one day if you're really having issues
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Dont waste money on something you dont know you need yet....of all people lol
    Free shipping is your kryptonite isn't it?

Try a standard weight buffer and see what happens. If your gas port is drilled to the right size, you should be good to go. If you want a softer recoil, then yes, like we talked earlier in the thread, buffer and(or) adj block. The adj block should eliminate the need for a buffer weight change though. Unless your gas port is really wrong lol.

Shoot it, look for ejection pattern/distance/location and go from there.
    I would assume between ARjohnson and myself, we have enough H/H1, H2, and H3 buffer we could meet at the range one day if you're really having issues

OK. Makes sense.

Kryptonite - LOL! Yeah, pretty much.

I just can't see spending $27 + $7 to ship that one damned part later when I can add it to a current order that has free shipping.
    Why pay $34 for a buffer when it should only cost $27?

I just thought of something.
    I DO have a "Heavy" buffer (no idea the weight - it just said "Heavy buffer" when I ordered it) in my pistol that came with my KAK Shockwave Blade kit, so I could always pull that to try if I think I need to.

Thanks for slapping my face and calming me down.
    LOL!

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast