Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Default Re: AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Not as concerned with flash on this rifle - I would lean more towards effective compensating/braking for keeping it on target and recoil reduction - the latter being less of a concern.

I know that in the price range I'm looking at, nothing will be good at "everything", but it seems the ones I've noted are acceptable and provide a little of each feature.
    I installed a Wilson Q Comp on my wife's KS47. She wanted something that helped manage recoil, but wasn't LOUD like her SJC Titan. It works quite well.

I run a PWS J-TAC47 on my AK. I like it a lot. It's loud, but not unpleasant to stand next to like the SJC Titan. Manages recoil and muzzle rise very well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I installed a Wilson Q Comp on my wife's KS47. She wanted something that helped manage recoil, but wasn't LOUD like her SJC Titan. It works quite well.

I run a PWS J-TAC47 on my AK. I like it a lot. It's loud, but not unpleasant to stand next to like the SJC Titan. Manages recoil and muzzle rise very well.

I appreciate the input!
    The J-TAC47 won't work for my application - different threads.

Would you say that the Q comp is more than "just a $60 birdcage"?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

I used an PWS FSC on my AK. It was great. I have also used them on some of my 5.56 and .308 rifles. My upcoming personal 7.62x39 ARs will try something different, just not sure yet. I have more than a few options in the .30 cal variety. My 7.62x39 Uppers in the past used anything from an A2, to another variant of flash hider, to a brake. I just have to be sure not to steal anything that will be used on my .308 projects coming up.

Be mindful of thread pitch. Most 7.62x39 AR barrels are 5/8x24 but YHM uses 1/2x36. Green Mountain has had runs of both thread pitches.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I used an PWS FSC on my AK. It was great. I have also used them on some of my 5.56 and .308 rifles. My upcoming personal 7.62x39 ARs will try something different, just not sure yet. I have more than a few options in the .30 cal variety. My 7.62x39 Uppers in the past used anything from an A2, to another variant of flash hider, to a brake. I just have to be sure not to steal anything that will be used on my .308 projects coming up.

Be mindful of thread pitch. Most 7.62x39 AR barrels are 5/8x24 but YHM uses 1/2x36. Green Mountain has had runs of both thread pitches.

Thanks for popping in. I was hoping for some of your insight since you've "been there done that."

As it stands, unless I hear of a better option, I will likely be ordering the PSA barrel I was asking about before.
    SKU: 7793478 (LINK)

For $99 it gives me most of what I want - not a HBAR, is a midlength, and it's affordable.

If you have any tips on bolt carrier groups I'm all ears.
    I hate to jump all over the place with questions, but I'm pretty set on a barrel, and the muzzle device selection is going well - I'll be going with an ALG hand guard most likely, so the only other critical 7.62x39 part is the BCG.

(Beaver County)

Thanks for popping in. I was hoping for some of your insight since you've "been there done that."

As it stands, unless I hear of a better option, I will likely be ordering the PSA barrel I was asking about before.
    SKU: 7793478 (LINK)

For $99 it gives me most of what I want - not a HBAR, is a midlength, and it's affordable.

If you have any tips on bolt carrier groups I'm all ears.
    I hate to jump all over the place with questions, but I'm pretty set on a barrel, and the muzzle device selection is going well - I'll be going with an ALG hand guard most likely, so the only other critical 7.62x39 part is the BCG.
    I really wanted to try the mid length, but I needed the money and had to sell the two barrels that I had. Eventually, I'll get a chance to try again with that. I've heard enough positives about PSA's 7.62x39 barrels that I think you will be pleased.

BCG is tricky. I've never broken a bolt, but I feel its only a matter of time due to design. It might be 20 rounds from
    now or 3k. I've used KAK, RedX, and Hardened with great success. Next up will be Rubber City. I have a BCG and an extra bolt that will probably be used for a piston project (most likely will speed up bolt failure). If and when I afford it, I'd like to get an LMT bolt or two, but they may not be around by time I can buy things again. They were $170 for just a bolt, but now they're over $250!

Also, the KAK BCG reminded me that they also sell barrels made from Green Mountain blanks and use 5/8x24 threads

(Allegheny County)

Since this tread may gain views from those interested in the GWACS Armory CAV-15 lower (formerly Cavalry Arms CAV-15) I'm going to post links to articles, reviews, videos, and how-to/maintenance info in this post and add to/update as I find them.

I wish I had thought of this at the beginning - I would have made it the second post.
    I'll provide a link to this post in the OP so it will be easy to find again!

From the company website:

GWACS Armory, is now located in Jenks Oklahoma, is a 07 FFL manufacturer of firearms focused on quality product and a high level of service. Our products are made in the USA. We support the second amendment. Many of our employees are veterans. GWACS Armory is also a 08 FFL importer of firearms. Our flagship product is the CAV-15 MKII AR15 lower receiver.

GWACS Armory is registered with SAM. CAGE CODE: 6KRL2
    CAV-15 MKII Receiver Features:

GWACS Armory, LLC, produces and sells the CAV-15 MKII, a versatile, lightweight, durable rifle that resists corrosion and impact better than traditional aluminum based AR15-type weapons.

We offer a life time warranty on our CAV-15 MKII and will also honor the warranty of the CAV-15 MKII offered by Cavalry Arms. Contact our staff for further details.

Choice of colors.

Receiver weight (complete) is almost a full pound lighter than a many complete aluminum receiver with an A2 stock.

A1 Length Integral Stock (5/8" shorter than A2) with sling loop. 13" Length of Pull.

Uses standard AR15/M16 magazines. The wider magazine well accepts submachine gun magazines in pistol calibers. With caliber conversion upper receivers and magazine blocks.

Uses all standard mil-spec parts with the exception of the take down pins. The front pivot and rear pins are a Quick Take Down style with Detents built into them. This allows for quick and easy removal of the pins while maintaining a positive lock.

Longer life, Nylon6 resists impacts and wear better than aluminum.

Links pertaining to the GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII:

History of the cavalry Arms CAV-15 (good read!)

VIDEO - Abuse test

Technical - Triggers - what works and what doesn't

Review - Detailed review (2012)

Customizing - Article about custom mods that can improve upon the base product

Technical - Video tutorial showing complete installation of lower parts kit!

Warrior Talk Forum Thread - Good technical and gunsmithing info.

more to come...

Late 2018 UPDATE:
    I was just informed that the CAV15 MK II lowers are no longer being produced!
    Upgraded models are in the works!

(from the GWACS Armory home page)

We are thankful for InRange TV’s WWSD project expanding the interest in the GWACS CAV 15 product. With this expanded interest we have virtually sold out of our MK II product line.

This year the CAV-15MKII turns 15 years old and unfortunately during our last production run our injection mold reached its end of life.

We are currently finalizing the design of the CAV-15 MK III that will maintain the same strength and durability as the MK II while including the most requested new features. We have incorporated some features recommended by Russell Phagan aka SinistralRifleman.com who has been involved with the CAV-15 since 2001. These improvements assure the future CAV-15 models are in line with the needs of the modern firearms market.

We will be announcing the availability of the CAV-15 MK III and MK IV later this year!

If you want to receive more information as we near the preorder event please create an account on our web page so that you can receive updates. If you already have an account you will be notified by email.

We want to thank everyone for the enormous support of the GWACS Armory CAV-15 MK II.
    Last edited by Emptymag; October 21st, 2018 at 08:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I was poking around looking into muzzle devices again today.
    Another contender - one I wouldn't have considered initially for whatever reason.

Seekins Precision ATC Comp (link)
    About $85

It's a bit longer than I would like, but so far the reviews I've seen have good things to say regarding good recoil reduction and muzzle climb and also say that it's not as brutal as some other comparably effective brakes due to the holes in the face that allow the blast to push forward.

Hmmmm...

I appreciate the input!
    The J-TAC47 won't work for my application - different threads.

Would you say that the Q comp is more than "just a $60 birdcage"?
    The KS47 comes with a standard A2 muzzle brake. Before I replaced a bunch of parts we took it to the range to test that the rifle functioned as is. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the A2 and the Q Comp. The Q Comp manages recoil better, but it's louder. There are better brakes out there, but they're all loud. Some more than others (I'm looking at you SJC Titan...). I have a couple of Indian Creek Design's BFD to try, but haven't got around to installing them on any rifles yet. They're supposed to help redirect the sound and concussion forward of the shooter, while allowing the brake to still do it's job. It's an added expense, but may be a solution if you really want something the mitigate recoil and rise better, but don't want to annoy your neighbors at the range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The KS47 comes with a standard A2 muzzle brake. Before I replaced a bunch of parts we took it to the range to test that the rifle functioned as is. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the A2 and the Q Comp. The Q Comp manages recoil better, but it's louder. There are better brakes out there, but they're all loud. Some more than others (I'm looking at you SJC Titan...). I have a couple of Indian Creek Design's BFD to try, but haven't got around to installing them on any rifles yet. They're supposed to help redirect the sound and concussion forward of the shooter, while allowing the brake to still do it's job. It's an added expense, but may be a solution if you really want something the mitigate recoil and rise better, but don't want to annoy your neighbors at the range.

I'm seeing several of these "cover" type things lately made to be used over existing muzzle devices.
    I have to wonder how that affects the performance of the underlying device since the gases aren't as "free" to escape as they were initially designed.

I'm seeing several of these "cover" type things lately made to be used over existing muzzle devices.
    I have to wonder how that affects the performance of the underlying device since the gases aren't as "free" to escape as they were initially designed.
    I'm hoping to get one installed on my wife's Sig 556 this weekend, so I'll let you know. She runs an SJC Titan. I'm expecting it to have some impact on performance, but if it makes it bearable to be next to at the range, I'm OK with that. It's mainly for range use. She'd probably take the BFD off for a match.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast