Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

I decided to put my sling on yesterday.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to use the provided slot in the stock, or purchase another type of mount when I remembered that I had a stock-mount spare magazine pouch laying around somewhere and put it on. Fits snug and it gave me a side mount sling loop to use!

I have a ton more photos to sort through and upload that I will post to show everything in more detail, but so far, so good.
    I made my own mount for the front of the sling using "paracord". It's not actual paracord, but I figured I'd try it with the cord I had on hand, and if it works out, I can replace it with better quality cord later.

I'm hoping to get a reasonable red dot for the carbine this summer - something that can be left on 24/7, or one that turns on when movement is detected.
    Further plans consist of using a Dremel to undercut the trigger guard and lightly stippling the grip. I also want to paint the rest to match the hand rail and either leave it that way, or add two other colors in a camo pattern.

Last edited by Emptymag; October 21st, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

What brand sling set up is that?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I was checking that sling out as well, in another pic thread.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkinpa1 View Post
    I was checking that sling out as well, in another pic thread.
    I liked this sling when I tried it and decided I wanted the same sling on every carbine so the manipulation would be identical. My 9mm is more of a range toy and has a different sling right now, but I may add one of these one day. I used a Frank Proctor sling on my pistol because I wanted "minimalist", but this sling is on all my other rifles including AK47 underfolder.

Here's a mini-review I had posted a while ago in my "sling" thread...

Gear Sector GS-2P Quick Adjust Two Point Sling (link)

Very good write up here and here

I ran across this sling while searching for more options online and saw favorable reviews.
    Again, I wanted light and compact, but for the more serious carbine I wanted something more "heavy duty" as well.
    I think I found a good combination of the two.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the sling material and the attachment methods.
    I like the way it works - it adjusts quickly and easily, and while this one HAS a flappy flap, it works well and doesn't bother me.
    This sling is also narrow, but the material is "tubular nylon" - essentially double thickness, but "hollow".
    It's SUPER flexible right out of the package! VERY "soft" to the touch and it just "flows". I really like the sling material.

The ends have quick release buckles with the choice of three different attachment ends to choose from.
    It comes standard with common "loop" ends, but you can get H&K Snap hooks or QD ends as well as loop attachment ends for use on an A2 rifle stock.
    One could equip several rifles with the end pieces and then share one sling between them by snapping off and on.

To adjust: Grasp the "flap" and push forward to shorten/snug up to your body.
    To release/open up to deploy rifle, lift the ladder lock/buckle with fingertip and and pull back.
    Not as simple as the Frank Proctor sling, but it works and works well. I think the soft nylon material aids in the ease of operation.

I'd rate this a 4.5 out of 5

Last edited by Emptymag; March 5th, 2018 at 09:34 PM.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the links. I’m definitely liking it. I use the Vickers Blue Force sling, it’s similar in functionality.

So how’s the AR47 doing? I was tossing the idea of one around for a little while. I just started poking around reading about them, seemed like feeding was an issue with some. But that was a while ago now, and never really followed thru with anything. How are you liking it? I so want an AK, but I may have missed the boat for affordable and reliable.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the links. I’m definitely liking it. I use the Vickers Blue Force sling, it’s similar in functionality.

So how’s the AR47 doing? I was tossing the idea of one around for a little while. I just started poking around reading about them, seemed like feeding was an issue with some. But that was a while ago now, and never really followed thru with anything. How are you liking it? I so want an AK, but I may have missed the boat for affordable and reliable.

I love this thing.
    It's surprisingly light thanks to the one piece lower/stock I used. (shaves a full pound off a standard M4 setup)
    Between the adjustable gas block and the VooDoo Innovations Jet Comp muzzle brake, it shoots soft and barely moves. It's loud as fuck because of the brake, but not bad when you're behind the trigger.

I've had a few issues with feeding that's tied to hollow points.
    These C-Poducts mags get great reviews. I can't say if it's the mags or the gun, but I've not had the same issue when loading up with FMJ.
    Feed reliability was the biggest issue in the past from what I've read, but that was when people were modifying mags and there just wasn't the same amount of options available.

I had light primer strikes initially and contacted the manufacturer (APOC Armory) who sent out a new firing pin at no charge. They said I could have gotten older inventory that went out before they switched to the enhanced firing pin. It worked fine after the switch.

I regret selling my AK a few years ago. (I still have the underfolder)
    I used to prefer the AK over the AR, but I have to admit that I MUCH prefer the super light weight of this carbine vs an AK.

(Allegheny County)

I definitely want to paint this thing.
    I've been scouring "painted gun pic" forum threads for tips and ideas...

Last edited by Emptymag; October 21st, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I definitely want to paint this thing.
    I've been scouring "painted gun pic" forum threads for tips and ideas...
    Whatcha thinking?

(Allegheny County)

Whatcha thinking?

I'm thinking I wish I had four or five of these so I could do all of the patterns I want to do!

I don't really want to go the route of stencils. I'd rather just "freehand" it, but I do have some ideas that would require stencils to get an actual camo pattern.

Since it's a 7.62x39, I thought a Russian camo pattern would be interesting.

This "Partizan" pattern is my favorite - similar colors to German Flektarn

(Bucks County)

This has some good ideas in it, imo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=cuZZiLz80E4

Even if you’re not into multicam, I’m liking the way to make the stencils and the methods used....

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast