Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

NOTE: Until I can replace all the missing pics that Photobucket (may they burn in hell) blocked, skip to post #113 for the start of more recent photos.

AR47
    - an AR15 that eats 7.62x39 ammo

My apologies in advance for starting this thread before I have finished pictures to post.
    I was going to put it in the rifle subforum, but all my other builds are in the pic thread. (since I post so many photos)
    I can assure you that there will be many more pics to follow as I work on this carbine.

I've had this "polymer" (it's fiber reinforced Nylon 6) GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII (link) lower for a year or two and I've finally decided that it will be the foundation for a 7.62x39 build

(this space reserved for photo of completed rifle)

Aside from a completed upper, I have accumulated everything else I would need.

One-piece lower/stock? CHECK!
    LPK? CHECK!
    Buffer/spring? CHECK!

So close and yet so far. Time to start sourcing parts for the upper!

I actually have two of these lowers - I slapped one of my 5.56 uppers on it to see how it looks/feels (the other one is slated to become a lightweight 5.56 build)

Initially I was just going to get a complete upper and slap it on and be done - just a basic "M4" style with A2 front sight similar to the example above. That may still happen, but what I really want to do is build it to my liking.

I've been following along with some other member AR47 threads and learning as I go, but if you have any input, experience, or suggestions, please feel free to add to the discussion because others reading will benefit from the info as much as I will.

Thanks!

ADDED: LINK to post within this thread with links to articles, tips and videos about the CAV-15 lower! (post #66)
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...68#post3508568
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 5th, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: AR47 Build on GWACS Armory CAV-15 MKII Lower

Looking forward to your end results. I've seen quite of bit of hard use given to those GWAKS one piece receivers and they held up really well. Do you know if you have to run a rifle length or A2 style buffer only or can you run any standard carbine buffer?

(Allegheny County)

Just for fun, I'm going to post a photo of a rifle I found that is very much how I envisioned building this thing - right down to the camo paint.

It will be interesting to see if my finished rifle ends up looking anything like this!

credit and link to image source

They used the same one-piece lower/stock I'm using, although it's an early version and has been modified in a few spots.
    This one is the original Cavalry Arms lower - before they closed and GWACS Armory bought the rights/tooling in order to continue manufacturing them.

I have an ALG Defense hand guard (like above) on my 9mm AR15 and I love it and when I saw this example I knew I would be happy with this "look".

Should be interesting to see how this ends up.

And hey, if I don't do the camo, it should look something like this...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Looking forward to your end results. I've seen quite of bit of hard use given to those GWAKS one piece receivers and they held up really well. Do you know if you have to run a rifle length or A2 style buffer only or can you run any standard carbine buffer?

Yes, they seem to have a reputation for being "good to go" in a world of crap-quality polymer lowers and it's mostly the result of the superior strength or the one-piece design.

I picked these up on sale from Rainier Arms for $89 each.
    My main reason for wanting one was to build a lightweight carbine for my wife who has trouble holding rifles up due to back issues.
    The completed CAV-15 lower is one full pound lighter than a standard completed lower.

The buffer used is a carbine buffer even though it "looks" like a rifle stock. The "buffer tube" consists of a shaped channel molded within the stock.

Speaking of the stock, it is "A1 length" so it's 5/8" shorter than a standard A2 stock and it fits me quite well.
    You can do custom work to shorten the stock by cutting the end off, but I don't think I need to do that.

Here's a cool video with a torture test.

Last edited by Emptymag; February 22nd, 2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: price confirmed/corrected

(Allegheny County)

along for the ride

(Allegheny County)

If anyone has suggestions on barrel sources/brands, I'm all ears.

I'll probably do a 16" midlength. (no longer)
    I don't know if 14.5" with permanent attached muzzle device is an option, but if it is, I'd go with that.

So far I see:

KAK (not midlength) - $110

Faxon midlength - $179

Black Rifle Arms midlength - $175 sale
    The one thing that piqued my interest is this...
    "Enhanced M4 Barrel Extension Specifically Designed for 30 Caliber Size Bullets"
    I read or heard in a video something about widening the feed ramps or something to improve feeding.
    Not sure if this is something worth considering or just a marketing ploy.

Note that this will not be a long range gun so I don't need sniper-accuracy and some $400 wonderbarrel.
    If I can keep it under $200 that would be a bonus.
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 23rd, 2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo

I can tell you that Faxon makes a good barrel with excellent customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to use one of theirs again.

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

$99 - Hard to argue with that price.

Hmmmm...

(Cumberland County)

The last GWAC I bought I was talking to the owner for a while and I casually mentioned I have no worries because it will just be a casual shooter. He said they will hold up to hundreds of thousands of rounds, and he has several that he has that have that + through them. And if anything ever did go wrong, they have lifetime warranty. I'm still waiting on the right upper for the wood hydro dipped version I bought and posted a while back
    ps - it was EM that informed me and got me buying them !!! Thanks for being an enabler ........................

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yes, they seem to have a reputation for being "good to go" in a world of crap-quality polymer lowers and it's mostly the result of the superior strength or the one-piece design.

I picked these up on sale from Rainier Arms for $89 each.
    My main reason for wanting one was to build a lightweight carbine for my wife who has trouble holding rifles up due to back issues.
    The completed CAV-15 lower is one full pound lighter than a standard completed lower.

The buffer used is a carbine buffer even though it "looks" like a rifle stock. The "buffer tube" consists of a shaped channel molded within the stock.

Speaking of the stock, it is "A1 length" so it's 5/8" shorter than a standard A2 stock and it fits me quite well.
    You can do custom work to shorten the stock by cutting the end off, but I don't think I need to do that.

Here's a cool video with a torture test.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast