Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (York County)

Default Re: Transporting from NJ to carry in PA

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You may be thinking about the 2013 Superior Court decision in McKown that requires a Pennsylvania license to carry for all Pennsylvania residents; a PA resident cannot rely on an out-of-state license to carry concealed or in a vehicle. It did not affect licenses carried by non Pennsylvania residents regardless if it was from their home state or otherwise; they are still confined to those licenses that are Pa recognized by reciprocity or statute.

Some reciprocity agreements were renegotiated to only recognize licenses issued to residents of the state of issue.

One must have a license from their home state in order to get a Pennsylvania license to carry.
    That's probably what I was thinking of, thanks for the clarification

(Bucks County)

Easy........Before you leave NJ search for the nearest gunshop or shooting range in Pa. When leaving NJ drive straight to it an pull into the parking lot. Then you are free to go anywhere else in Pa. NJ doesn't say you have to actually use the firearm when you get there, just drive it one of those places.

On the way back stop in the same parking lot and drive DIRECTLY to your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Easy........Before you leave NJ search for the nearest gunshop or shooting range in Pa. When leaving NJ drive straight to it an pull into the parking lot. Then you are free to go anywhere else in Pa. NJ doesn't say you have to actually use the firearm when you get there, just drive it one of those places.

On the way back stop in the same parking lot and drive DIRECTLY to your house.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that whenever convoluted firearms laws are in play it's probably not a good idea to use narrow exceptions in a way that circumvents the true intention of the exception. Especially when dealing with anti states.

(Chester County)

Live in New Jersey at your own peril.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Easy........Before you leave NJ search for the nearest gunshop or shooting range in Pa. When leaving NJ drive straight to it an pull into the parking lot. Then you are free to go anywhere else in Pa. NJ doesn't say you have to actually use the firearm when you get there, just drive it one of those places.On the way back stop in the same parking lot and drive DIRECTLY to your house.
    I disagree for the reasons I expounded in posts #17 & #23 of this very thread. What you propose is fraught with significant legal risk especially on the return trip when re-entering NJ.
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 25th, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I disagree for the reasons I expounded in posts #17 & #23 of this very thread. What you propose is fraught with significant legal risk especially on the return trip when re-entering NJ.

I am not a lawyer but I don't read the regulations the same as you do.

NJSA 2C:39-6f(3)(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder
    Its the comma part (like the comma in the 2A) that makes a difference.

To me it reads "Directly to or from any target range COMMA, or other authorized place for the purpose of ...........

But to each his own, the supreme court and the media is still trying to figure out what the comma means in the 2A after 200 years.

So just drive to the nearest gunshop in Pa instead. There is no ambiguous language in that section.

(Montgomery County)

I would just add that if you do follow your interpretation be prepared to have to argue that in a court of law while facing a felony. I'm not saying you are wrong just saying that your interpretation is a pretty big gamble.

(Chester County)

I am not a lawyer but I don't read the regulations the same as you do.

Its the comma part (like the comma in the 2A) that makes a difference.

To me it reads "Directly to or from any target range COMMA, or other authorized place for the purpose of ...........

But to each his own, the supreme court and the media is still trying to figure out what the comma means in the 2A after 200 years.

So just drive to the nearest gunshop in Pa instead. There is no ambiguous language in that section.
    Certainly anyone has a right to interpret a statute (its not a regulation) as they see fit but not to give advice to others that potentially subjects them to a 5-10 year prohibiting incarceration with a minimum 3 years ineligible for parole based on a rather superficial reading that pushes the credibility envelope. As our resident expert/barrister has aptly opined on another but similar topic:

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Here's a good rule of thumb: If the only defense standing between you and a Misdemeanor 1 conviction is a story that you'd just have to deliver with a smirk, then you're screwed. Judges don't like "cute", not unless it's blond and nobody's watching. <snip>.

As to your now modified scenario, exactly what 'unambiguous section' do you rely for your statement that the NJ/PA traveler garners protection?

Here's the closest statute that deals with gun shops but it certainly does not support your scenario:
    NJSA 2C:39-6e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 26th, 2017 at 12:56 PM.
    IANAL

Screw NJ, how come they can bring their guns to PA, and we can't carry our guns to NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    When I leave PRNJ to go to America, I go directly to a range in PA first, remove my weapon from its legal position in the trunk and continue my journey.

There are many ranges to which I can make my final route conform from PA, to WV, to NC. I have a dashcam that records my visit.

When returning to PRNJ, I make my last stop a range in PA, at which time I return my weapon to the legal FOPA status and go home.

There is no requirement in the law to discharge your weapon at the range.
    What a miserable life to live. Just come live in PA and be free.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234