Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: AR weird problem - sheared extractor pin

Thinking that slamming mag home on retracted bolt lets bullets jump and present high and forward. Feed lip tweaking might be in order.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Attachment 94830

This is how it should look.
    Only gonna look like that if you're loading .300 Blackout...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Only gonna look like that if you're loading .300 Blackout...

Best pic I could find. It doesn't really matter. The case diameters are the same on both rounds, therefore the picture is relevant, right? Or are you just busting balls?
    Last edited by Hawk; March 9th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Best pic I could find. It doesn't really matter. The case diameters are the same on both rounds, therefore the picture is relevant, right? Or are you just busting balls?
    I now consider them sufficiently busted...

Yes, the photo is relevant for the reasons mentioned. The photo came up in a thread on a different site and many SMEs (subject matter "experts") had *long* discussions about the provenance of the ammo in question...

(York County)

So, if the bolt is locked back, and you insert and seat a fully loaded mag, and drop the bolt, the 1st two rounds will look like the ones in your picture and the rest of the rounds feed fine?
    If you manually ride the bolt closed on a full mag, do the first two rounds feed correctly?
    What mag's are you using? Do you have any good old mil spec steel 30 rounder's you can try?

Try this:
    Load up a full mag and insert it with the bolt open. Manually hold the bolt back with the charging handle and press the bolt release. Let the bolt come forward slowly, just enough to make contact with the first round. Take a close look at where the bolt touches the base of the first round. One of the bottom bolt lugs should be contacting the base of the round along the entire face of the lug. See pic below.

Attachment 94830

This is how it should look.
    Thanks, Hawk. I'll check it when I get home tonight.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Hmmm....musta done something else when he got home that night.

(Butler County)

I think this is actually the 2nd time I heard about this happening on an AR. I don't remember the brand. It seems to me that AR fanship has risen to such celebrity levels in the past decade, that AR parts have almost become the bigger market than AR's. So the result is for a zillion cheap generic AR manufacturers to invest in the larger AR PARTS market...so that most of them end up with the same cheap parts...which suck. They aren't necessarily from China or anything like that...but they're still cheap and low quality.When everybody and his brother suddenly decided they had to start building their own AR'S because it gave them something to talk about in post-Rambo America, the market for that opened up and the marketers knew that most people buying their parts would be very young guys on a budget looking to brag about the sexy new babe in their gunsafe. So the cheap parts which were originally meant for those guys were eventually bought up by small companies looking to build attractive looking AR'S and sell them for cheap. Kind of like how Century Arms makes Frankenstein AKs from parts collected from all over Eurasia (only different) ...with a couple of cheap U.S. parts thrown in for 922r compliance. Except with AR'S the motive isn't about 922r, it's about finding Americans on a budget who care more about looks than reliability....or just don't know better. Not saying anyone who buys a cheaply built AR is a superficial poser. It could happen just because you were on a budget and reallywanted a gun...or because a company is trying to cut corners hoping they can gamble with QA issues and win. Just ask KelTec.

So "average" AR enthusiasts are kind of swayed to build their own and also to choose parts CAREFULLY, since the design is sensitive and picky to begin with. It's just how the market ended up for a number of reasons.
    Last edited by FJW; March 15th, 2017 at 12:45 AM.

(Bucks County)

I guess POOFA isn't much of a cross-section then. Been on here for 7 years and broken AR parts hasn't been much of a subject, far as I remember.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I guess POOFA isn't much of a cross-section then. Been on here for 7 years and broken AR parts hasn't been much of a subject, far as I remember.
    I would argue b/c the cheap AR part market had not really been seen as viable until post Sandy Hook. In this case, "cheap" referring to sales price as well as production or sourcing costs. As parts continue to flood the market, many from unknown OEM sources and seen as a "great deal" are now finding their ways into the firearms of our beloved members. This is a forum of gun diversity. Topics like this would be seen more frequent on ARFCOM or M4C. The "building" threads have never been more prevalent until the past year or so.

Hell, look at all the websites now that you can buy from.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    AR's get talked about on PAFOA just a fraction of what they do on some sites, where there are dozens if not hundreds of threads about AR's, AK's or SHTF or Glocks... all the time. PAFOA is more general and more serious. Still, useful info can be found everywhere.

Edit: PAFOA also only focuses on 1/50 of the gun toting American population, and hunting accounts for a much larger proportion of gun ownership here than some places. Since P. A. hunters can't use semi-auto's for hunting, it's one of several reasons why AR threads wouldnt exactly grow on trees here. In a number of states, hunting coyotes with AR's is almost a whole sport unto itself.
    Last edited by FJW; March 15th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast