Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: AR weird problem - sheared extractor pin

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Skip the Spikes and get a regular H2 or H3 buffer, much better with weights than powder in the buffer.
    Too late. Already got it...

Having said that I read/watched a lot of 'weights vs. powder' info and it seems a little like one of those 'dogma war' things. But love to hear your perspective on why weights...
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Too late. Already got it...

Having said that I read/watched a lot of 'weights vs. powder' info and it seems a little like one of those 'dogma war' things. But love to hear your perspective on why weights...
    I tried both and the regular buffers felt better. It's a wheel that doesn't need reinvented IMO. Couple it with different spring weights until it feels right. Springco has a variety of buffer springs for this very purpose.

Hard to explain until you shoot a properly gassed gun with the right buffer/spring setup, then you will know what I mean.

If your brothers sig is a SIG556 that rifle is a gas piston which is going to feel different.

I have rifles with both weights and powder buffers, can't really tell the difference. You can piss away a lot of time and money trying to screw withl with different springs and buffers and end up making the gun run worse with more bolt bounce. A waste unless you are a gamer running the same load all the time or something.Go shoot the rifle. Again .223/5.56 recoil is next to nothing. A lot of guys like to screw with stuff and end up with a gun that is fuckup waiting to happen.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    If your brothers sig is a SIG556 that rifle is a gas piston which is going to feel different.

I have rifles with both weights and powder buffers, can't really tell the difference. You can piss away a lot of time and money trying to screw withl with different springs and buffers and end up making the gun run worse with more bolt bounce. A waste unless you are a gamer running the same load all the time or something.Go shoot the rifle. Again .223/5.56 recoil is next to nothing. A lot of guys like to screw with stuff and end up with a gun that is fuckup waiting to happen.
    His is an M400 - direct impingement.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Ejection clock: My built AR has a Wilson barrel that checks out as 1:8.5" (yes...8-1/2"...measured a dozen times) had a PITA characteristic of denting the brass as it bounced from the angled block * (can't think of the nomenclature) behind the ejection port. Since I reload, I tried a preventive measure. I glued a piece of inner tube rubber on that block. It totally stopped the denting and send the brass out to 1:30-2 o'clock. I don't remember where it went before the rubber was installed.

My Spikes Tactical is a 1:7, throws at appx 4:30 o'clock.

I mention the differences in twists to suggest: Wouldn't a faster twist create a heavier recoil than a slower one?

* Brass Deflector
    Last edited by Bang; February 27th, 2017 at 01:28 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Ejection clock: My built AR has a Wilson barrel that checks out as 1:8.5" (yes...8-1/2"...measured a dozen times) had a PITA characteristic of denting the brass as it bounced from the angled block (can't think of the nomenclature) behind the ejection port. Since I reload, I tried a preventive measure. I glued a piece of inner tube rubber on that block. It totally stopped the denting and send the brass out to 1:30-2 o'clock. I don't remember where it went before the rubber was installed.

I mention the differences in twists to suggest: Wouldn't a faster twist create a heavier recoil than a slower one?
    Do you mean the brass deflector?

(Bucks County)

Yep! Thanks! :-)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Ejection clock: My built AR has a Wilson barrel that checks out as 1:8.5" (yes...8-1/2"...measured a dozen times) had a PITA characteristic of denting the brass as it bounced from the angled block * (can't think of the nomenclature) behind the ejection port. Since I reload, I tried a preventive measure. I glued a piece of inner tube rubber on that block. It totally stopped the denting and send the brass out to 1:30-2 o'clock. I don't remember where it went before the rubber was installed.

* Brass Deflector
    Comparing two different manufactured barrels, even with different twists, won't tell the whole story on how much perceived recoil is felt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Westmoreland County)

Probably over thinking this. I seen a few of them break when I worked the range in the AF. Not a common breakdown but it does happen. Probably a defective part. I'd replace and not worry unless it happens again.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Allegheny County)

The "ejection zone" is affected by more than the cycling speed of the BCG. The amount of pressure the extractor puts on the case and/or the amount of pressure the ejector puts on the case can affect where the brass exits the port.
    I purposely cut two coils off the ejection spring on my High Power competition rifle to throw the brass at 1:30. It makes it easier to collect my spent brass and it keeps my brass from pelting the competitor next to me.
    I also had an issue with a AR that would extract the brass but not eject it (it would just lay in the port and jam up the loading of the next round) Upon inspection, I found the extractor spring was extremely weak causing the brass to slip off prematurely. I replaced the spring and ejection returned to normal.

I suspect the pin was defective. I've seen broken extractor's from guys shooting steel cased ammo, but never pin's.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 27th, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast