Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default just bought a 91/30

Anything that i should be concerned with as far as maintenance goes the rifle appears to be in excellent shape, made in 1943 and it after looking at everything it appears that all parts are numbers match with the exception of the of the bayonet. bore looks clean and in excellent shape. i also got the cleaning kit, leather stripper clip pouch, original oiling can that the oil had escape from(made one heck of a mess) but everything seems tight. except i have one question about the trigger when the bolt is in the trigger is kinda loose not that the action is loose but the trigger swings forward with no resistance but it looks like everything else on the action works great.
    "When western Civilization Melts Down I Want An AK-47" Richard Venola Editor Combat Arms

Default Re: just bought a 91/30

Congrats Comrad,

The Oil didn't escape from the Bottle, What made the mess was the tons & tons of Cosmoline the Russians soak everything in. You made a good Choice you can search the site for more info on M91/30's and here are a few links to help out.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp

http://mosinnagant.net/

Not sure what kind of trigger problems you are having, but it is normal to have some slack in the trigger before it fires. Most Military Rifles have what's called a 2 stage trigger, Take up Slack, Fire gun. The M91/30 is more of a Single stage, But you should still notice a little slack before the gun fires. More Importantly, You want to be sure to clean out all of the Cosmoline from every crevice and in particular the Bolt and Chamber area, otherwise it will act like cement after you fire a few rounds, Which will translate into getting a large hammer to unlock the bolt.

Enjoy your purchase,
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

well nice choice on getting into the nagants. They shoot the cheapest ammo available right now, and i order frequently from aimsurplus.com. they ship directly to you and the polish lb they have right now is the best in my opinion. as far as cleaning your nagant for the first time, i highly recommend boiling water. boil a little pot of water and pour it down the barrel from the receiver end. the heat from the water will melt all the cosmoline out of all of the little nooks and crannies. make sure the chamber is clean, the cleaner you get it the better. if there is any cosmoline left, you will get sticky bolt syndrome. Then clean it like you would normally using hoppes or clp or what ever you want. If properly "tweaked" these things can be tack drivers. WATCH OUT!!! they tend to breed like rabbits in your gunsafe. one turns into 3 then turns into 5 ect.

a great website to prowl is surplusrifle.com primarily this link http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Hey Nattcmars post reminds me,
    When you shoot these things unless you're buying high grade non-corrosive ammo, The Ammo you shoot will be corrosive, This requires you clean it with HOT Soapy water or others like using Windex with ammonia to neutralize the Corrosive Salts. Either way works, Afterwards you can either clean with Hoppes or whatever for peace of mind but it isn't necessary, Just be sure to oil and grease the appropriate parts.

Here's a Link: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...sive/index.asp

Enjoy
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Allegheny County)

here is a secret comrad, as I too am a new 91/30 owner. This site has the cheapest 7.62X54R ammo EVER.

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=11&pg=2

Well the price of the ammo is a bit cheaper than average, but the shipping is sooo cheap, just $12. AIMSurplus charges $45+. Last week they had a sale, i got 880 rnds of Bulgarian heavy core for $145 shipped. If you are looking for non milsurp ammo AIM is about the best, even with shipping.

Also make sure you get the headspace checked.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks guy i will have to check out those ammo websites. i hope this thing shoots as good as it looks, i am sure iw will let you guys know.
    "When western Civilization Melts Down I Want An AK-47" Richard Venola Editor Combat Arms