Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Sportsman's Guide?

Experience shopping there? Is the buyer's club worth it? I need to get some ammo and it's between them or academy. I buy from Academy a lot because they almost always have free shipping but none of their brass 9mm is one sale right now.
    Misery now loves rifles but cannot change his name

Default Re: Sportsman's Guide?

Check out TargetSportsUSA before you order from anywhere else typically they are cheaper then anyone else when ordering the common calibers in bulk. I belonged to SPG for about 5 years and let it expire after Sandy Hook when they started jacking up prices and playing games with the back orders. Since then I've found a number of sites with better ammunition deals.

(Allegheny County)

I joined two years ago.. and the first year I saved money.. second year ?? maybe broke even... If you are going to order a good bit online from them ..I think you can save money over THEIR REGULAR prices.. and they have a lot of FREE SHIPPING -over $49 and that's not hard to do.. and even a good bit of FREE SHIPPING NO MIN. When they have this I'll grab a box or two of ammo just because..
    But yes.. Check other places prices first..
    Last edited by JDA58; February 19th, 2017 at 10:22 PM.

(Butler County)

Check around on prices. While I love the catalogs for hiding in the bathroom when the MIL is visiting, when ordering I usually run into issues with the items I want being back ordered or out of stock.

(Allegheny County)

A big item order can justify it even if you don't order often.
    I have never joined, but every time I get to the point where I've ordered six times I think that I could have done better by signing up.
    I think club members also get special sales that aren't available to non members - I know that's true for those who are signed up with an account/email.

If you won't be ordering regularly I would pass.
    pafoa GROUP SHOOT (click) with BACON! Pittsburgh - April 21 - See You Next Time!

I have used them a lot over the last year. No problems and I like their 4 pay where you can spread payment for things over 4 months.
    Proof Armed citizens make a difference. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316012

(Allegheny County)

when I joined I think the free shipping was ...FREE SHIPPING over $99... My order was about half that $50/$60with an ammo can.. so shipping was a bit high... But I wanted it so..
    they asked me to join and save.... and I said no thanks..then they came back with if you join now.. you save 10% + we will give you FREE shipping and $20 coupon off you next order...So for $39.99 I was +2 or 3 dollars on my first order.. turned out I think the $20 was TWO 10$ coupons for my next 2 orders $10 coupon per order.. but still worked out.. they send a good number of members only FREE Shipping e-mails.... If you Do give it a try.. Remember IF you don't like it to make sure you do not re-up the second year..

(Allegheny County)

SG screwed me over on a couple K of .223 auite a few years ago.
    Sale price listed.
    Order sent.
    Snail mail response that prices went up after i had a confirmation.
    Spoke to CS. Then supervisor.
    They offered me a $10, then $20 & finally a $25 credit on my next order but would not give me the ammo at the confirmed price.
    Ok.
    All done with them.
    Since that time, i have purchased many K $ of ammo.
    No more from SG.
    Taeget Sports, NatchezSS, just got 500 rds of .380 from Outdoorlimited., some .45 from Midway

Go to ammoseek.com and bypass SG.
    Ha.
    The pipe never wins. I always win.

(Lycoming County)

I've ordered quite a few things from them over the years. Never had any issues. If you think your going to order quite a bit, then the club membership will pay for itself over a few orders.

I'm a member, been one for years. But I dont think I'll be ordering enough to justify renewing
    I used to wait for the " double your discount and free shipping" sales, some of it was "buy one get one free" . Nice. I would have a bunch of crap or high ticket items in my shopping cart or wish list then buy it all at once for 20% off with free shipping.
    I got 10 packs of brownell metal body mags for like 8-9$ per mag, 10 pcks of Thermolds for range day, these have been perfect. They were about 6$ each, Mags for my DPMS LR308 were way below anyone else
    Any way, I have enough mags, surplus, and crap from them.
    Their guide gear brand can be hit or miss on quality. Some of their surplus stinks, like a stench from QM hell
    Can I reccomend joining the buyers club? do you need a bunch of gear? and expect to spend over $100-200 a year for it then yeah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast