Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default PPQ Threaded Barrel/Heavy Spring

Just got the Walther threaded barrel kit for my PPQ and it comes with the heavier spring for suppressed fire. Instructions state to not use a suppressor with the standard spring, which makes sense. But they also say to not shoot unsuppressed with the heavier spring. I suspect the only issue might be not enough pressure to cycle. Or is there another 'secret' reason why they make that recommendation?

(York County)

Default Re: PPQ Threaded Barrel/Heavy Spring

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Just got the Walther threaded barrel kit for my PPQ and it comes with the heavier spring for suppressed fire. Instructions state to not use a suppressor with the standard spring, which makes sense. But they also say to not shoot unsuppressed with the heavier spring. I suspect the only issue might be not enough pressure to cycle. Or is there another 'secret' reason why they make that recommendation?
    Nice looking kit. I just emailed walther CS to inquire about them offering a similar kit for the 5 inch models.

If they would offer a 5 inch ported & threaded factory barrel kit I would be all over it.

using the regular spring with a suppressor provides a lot of shit blowing back into your face... unfortunately, i had once forgotten to change the spring and it was too uncomfortable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    Nice looking kit. I just emailed walther CS to inquire about them offering a similar kit for the 5 inch models.

If they would offer a 5 inch ported & threaded factory barrel kit I would be all over it.

i agree - there is an aftermarket Walther threaded barrel, but i haven't tried it. would love to have my 5" slides and/or my Q5 with a can.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    i agree - there is an aftermarket Walther threaded barrel, but i haven't tried it. would love to have my 5" slides and/or my Q5 with a can.
    http://www.jarvis-custom.com/shop/wa...istol-barrels/ This is the route I have been considering. This place offers porting as an option so I was thinking that may help with gas to the face while suppressed.

Anyone know if porting a threaded barrel would be a good idea?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    using the regular spring with a suppressor provides a lot of shit blowing back into your face... unfortunately, i had once forgotten to change the spring and it was too uncomfortable to shoot.
    That makes complete sense, but what about the opposite: if you shoot unsuppressed with the heavier spring?

(Montgomery County)

That makes complete sense, but what about the opposite: if you shoot unsuppressed with the heavier spring?
    I would imagine plenty of FTEs/FTFs

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    It might be just fine. HK is also known for putting heavier springs in almost all of their Tactical threaded guns (maybe it's a German thing), with a few exceptions like the HK45CT. I have a USP Tactical 9mm, which has a stiffer spring, and it runs perfectly fine unsuppressed (no 9mm suppressor yet).

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Walther CS told me there might be cycling issues. As I suspected. Not enough pressure to cycle with the heavy spring. I'll just try it as an experiment.