Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: New to the AR Platform and Seeking advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's definitely not Stephanie Hayden from Red Jacket.

Attachment 94241
    I know its not and neither are exciting. Some of you guys need to get out more.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Cripes. It may be simpler to just buy a commie .308 and be done with it.
    Just takes more research and time to ensure the correct purchases are made. It's not always about slapping shit together and being done.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I do like PSA, however, like many newer companies and people, the AR10 has improperly become synonymous with any large frame AR. I believe these are for the LR308/SR25 platform versus the Armalite AR10. My finding is based on D&H offerings (none of which are Armalite).
    You are correct. If you go to D&H's website, they only offer lr308/sr25 magazines. However, if you go to the PSA link, you will see those magazines are specifically made for PSA, to PSA specifications. Meaning those magazines on sale have nothing to do with regular D&H production. Usually manufacturers are pretty good at listing of a part is AR10 spec or LR308/SR25 spec. Would this be the first time I have seen a manufacturer improperly label a AR10lSR25 part? Yes. Would it surprise me if they did? No. I'm just saying, you might want to be careful and double check, before you dump a hundred bucks on some magazines and it turns out they don't work in your rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Cripes. It may be simpler to just buy a commie .308 and be done with it.
    Best advice in the thread so far! Pick up a VEPR .308. nothing ticks off your local AR guy when you shoot tighter groups with an AK

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Y Would this be the first time I have seen a manufacturer improperly label a AR10lSR25 part? Yes. Would it surprise me if they did? No.
    PSA lists their entire large frame AR category as "AR10", but they are based on the DPMS/SR25 pattern.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    PSA lists their entire large frame AR category as "AR10", but they are based on the DPMS/SR25 pattern.
    Odd... Pull up any PSA10 component and they specifically say that they are not compatible with either AR10 or DPMS, and that you should only use PSA10 components with other PSA10 components. Can't see how it's a DPMS patterned rifle, when it won't take DPMS components.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Odd... Pull up any PSA10 component and they specifically say that they are not compatible with either AR10 or DPMS, and that you should only use PSA10 components with other PSA10 components. Can't see how it's a DPMS patterned rifle, when it won't take DPMS components.
    Its very common for companies to only recommend using their parts across a build. I pulled up several components (barrel, BCG, upper, CH) and not one said "Not Compatible with either AR10 or DPMS" It did say, "For best results, we recommend only using PSA PA10 parts with our uppers and lower receivers. We do not recommend using other manufacturers parts in our products." Of course they are saying to use their parts! Just b/c large frame AR receivers may not mate up between brands, does not mean they don't fit into the "pattern". DPMS/SR25 has become a very broad category of large frame ARs.

I've done between 5 and 6 .308 rifles using parts from various brands. CMMG is DPMS pattern. SI Defense is DPMS Pattern. DGW is DPMS pattern. The CMMG lower wouldn't accept the DGW upper, the SI Defense lower did. The CMMG Lower and SI Defense lower accepted the DPMS upper. The DGW upper also fit on a DPMS branded lower. The DPMS branded upper fit on a CMMG lower. It's not cut and dry in the large frame world. The PA10 receivers won't mate with other receivers, but they still use DPMS/SR25 barrels, BCGs, charging handles, barrel nuts, and rails. LPKs for large frame ARs may also require proprietary sizes for take down and pivot pins as well as other parts. This does not exclude them from falling within the realm of a specific pattern.

There is a ton of coverage of AR variants, to include large frame ARs, on AR15.com. The PA10, Aero M5, DPMS, etc etc etc has been discussed in length and continues to pop up at least once a week.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234