Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Law question regarding AR lower anodizing

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Exactly. A barreled upper makes what it is...

OP can stay with the item if the finisher does not have an FFL.
    Thats what I was thinking... but with the new rules, as Gun shared, they would still need to be a "dealer", unless Im reading incorrectly.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheart View Post
    I am aware that they are two different processes. I would prefer anodizing. However, if I cant find someone to do it legally, I may just move forward with cerakoting. Its kind of up in the air, just thinking out loud.
    Isn't your receiver already anodized? Most commercial AR uppers and lowers are already anodized and dyed black. Silvery-appearing raw aluminum would need anodizing or some other finish, but if your components are already dark charcoal black, the are already anodized.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Wayne County)

Yes, of course they are black. I wanted to do something ghetto fabulous.

(Berks County)

Do we have to beat the dead horse again? I have not read the correct information on builds in this thread yet. It is available on many threads on Pofoa. Half the truth isn't the same as the whole truth.

Then again not many know or have anodized so it can be made out to be impossibly hard to do.

Why? I don't understand. Why?

Everything was discovered under more primitive conditions than the average guy can avail himself to today.

To make a rifle one needs to assemble 16inch or longer upper along with a buttstock on the lower and it is only limiting if it is the first original build. Having the parts is considered constructive possession before the actual build. Don't own pistol uppers without an unbuilt lower or a pistol AR.

As was posted the refinish or new finish is a gunsmith description but you can DIY.
    IANAL pay money and consult one for all questions of law.

(Bucks County)

A bucket of 50% or less sulfuric acid is hardly multiple tanks... and doing some quick searches it looks like a simple DC power device like used for tattooing will suffice.

Anyway, Ill try a couple of other places and see if they have any sources. Not the end of the world. Worse case theres a place out here that does in house cerakoting.
    With anodizing and plating the proper prep work is critical for an even finish. That is why just about every gunsmith sends it out to a professional.

Where the multiple tanks come in is one for the degreasing and another for removing the old anodized coating with Lye. You also need another heated tank with the color of dye you are using. You will need some deionized water in a rinse tank too. Getting glass or plastic tank the right size to fit a disassembled rifle in (mostly the quad rail) might be a problem. Your messing with sulfuric acid and that is nasty stuff. A long and shallow tank will work but I would not want to try and pour the acid back into a jug for storage.

Here is a plating supply that sells kits. Has a good video on the process too.

http://www.caswellplating.com/anodiz...zing-kits.html

Many moons ago when Paintball was the coolest thing a kid could do my Buddies and I anodized our Paintball Markers. This is the article we followed. http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml

It wasn't hard and just using Rit Dye we got some pretty good results.

(York County)

These guys are located in Manchester, York County and hold a class 7 FFL. I know about their work though the motorsports stuff that they do.... They do anodizing and Cerakote.

http://bbmetalfinishing.com/home
    Last edited by DougC; February 21st, 2017 at 04:17 PM.

(Elk County)

Yes, of course they are black. I wanted to do something ghetto fabulous.
    OK, got it.

In that case, you want a pro, because the existing anodizing will need to be stripped off. That's generally done with 75% phosphoric acid with some chromic acid at 90C. Very hazardous.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

The lower will have to be media blasted to remove the coloring of the anodize.

Several anodizers out there that hold an FFL so you can send them a finished machined lower to get anodized. US Anodizing specializes in reanodizing receivers that have previously been anodized. They do retro color anodizing too. They are not cheap though. If you want to start doing different colors and patterns you want a gun coating like Cerakote, KG guncoat, etc over anodize.
    Last edited by dkf; February 21st, 2017 at 01:41 PM.

(Monroe County)

If it's done under a day, you stay with it, it would be ok. But you leave it he would have to be an smith and enter it as such.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast