Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default primer detonation in a loadmaster

Well, it happened this morning. I had a primer go off in my loadmaster.

I was loading 9mm with CCI primers. Apparently one of the cases held onto the "ring" of the old primer. I was probably going a little fast with the press too.

When the new primer was trying to seat in a pocket that wasn't completely clear, POP. Also, noticed the detonated primer was flipped.

Only the one primer went off (thankfully), and after I gained my wits about me, tore down the press to find what else it might have been. The case that had the detonated primer smashed into it was the only thing that was out of place. Headstamp was "CBC".

Station 2 on my press is the sizing die with the decapping pin removed. Having an unobstructed path for the blast was probably a good thing too.

I've had flipped primers press into pockets with no issue many times before. Even had them press in sideways.

The whole event did startle me a bit, and forced me to slow down.

Lesson learned. Felling lucky too.

Default Re: primer detonation in a loadmaster

I had a whole tube (100) go off on my dillon 650xl. It blew the the priming system apart
    and shot the plastic tube rod into the ceiling. Now I wear safety glasses when reloading.

I had a tube of close to 100 go off on my Hornady LNL AP. It blew the primer tube out of the top of the press, blew the tube apart and lit my full powder hopper on fire. Very exciting. Lucky it didn't burn my house down. It was all caused by a small primer .45 case. I crushed a large primer trying to press it into the small primer case. When I pushed the ram back up to check it the damaged primer was pulled back under the stack of primers and went off. I was wearing safety glasses, but now I keep a fire extinguisher near my press.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Clarion County)

Glad you're ok. Hasn't happened to me....yet. For those of us with primer tubes I can't recall when the topic of tube explosions became mainstream but it was a few decades ago. Was probably happening but never heard about much. Was standard practice to wash primer tubes regularly. I still do. Look at the primer tube position on my first press:

Right at face level. There's a reason why folks like Dillon have placed sturdy material around the tubes that'll project the blast up and away.
    After the alarms were sounded I went to the (old) Lee hand primer seater. It was not without hazard as they actually advised against using Federal primers in it due to mishaps. Understand the newer model can handle them. Stay safe.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Very similar to my Lyman turret press. Swinging primer arm looks like a different pivot point though. ^^^

I bought an RCBS hand-operated primer tool, and never looked back.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I had a tube of close to 100 go off on my Hornady LNL AP. It blew the primer tube out of the top of the press, blew the tube apart and lit my full powder hopper on fire. Very exciting. Lucky it didn't burn my house down. It was all caused by a small primer .45 case. I crushed a large primer trying to press it into the small primer case. When I pushed the ram back up to check it the damaged primer was pulled back under the stack of primers and went off. I was wearing safety glasses, but now I keep a fire extinguisher near my press.
    So THAT'S how it happened!!

I remember the thread and photos very well, but don't recall seeing the explanation lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    So THAT'S how it happened!!

I remember the thread and photos very well, but don't recall seeing the explanation lol.
    I check my brass a lot more closely than before. Luckily the Hornady has a stainless steel tube around the primer tube to direct the blast up. Better than in my face. I wrapped my powder hopper with aluminum to help prevent it from happening again. If you have the case flare and powder drop separate it won't be a problem. I do it in one step to free up another position for a powder cop die. That puts the powder hopper right at the top of the primer tube. When it blows up, it works like a shotgun blast right into the powder hopper. This was using Federal primers. They are the only brand I use.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Very similar to my Lyman turret press. Swinging primer arm looks like a different pivot point though. ^^^

I bought an RCBS hand-operated primer tool, and never looked back.

I prefer to hand prime since I have a better feel and touch as I seat the primer. Yes, this slows things down a little bit. I prefer to pace myself so that I get a good result.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    I prefer to hand prime since I have a better feel and touch as I seat the primer. Yes, this slows things down a little bit. I prefer to pace myself so that I get a good result.
    Agreed. I bought a single stage LEE press to prime (among other things) then I switch over to my Hornady LNL to powder, seat, etc...

Totally adds more time but I think the weak link in the LNL is the priming mechanism and I like the control with the LEE. Getting an exploding primer away from my powder also prompted the addition.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    ^^^^^ This. The Loadmaster priming system is too finicky. I took it off my press within an hour of owning it.
    Last edited by AirportFF; March 5th, 2017 at 09:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast