Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Longer handguard

I've had a ruger ar556 for about a year now. Put magpul sl moe furniture on it. I put a scope on it recently and wanted to remove the front sight. So I put a low profile gas block in with no sight. Does magpul or anyone make a handguard to cover the gas block? Seems like they are all cut out to fit a sight but it's hard to tell online. I don't like the cut out in the magpul handguard there. Just aesthetic but I'd like to change it. I know free float is an option but they are pricey. I can't tell from the magpul site if any of those will cover it.
    Thanks

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Longer handguard

Id give the magpul rifle length forearm a try, it looks like it would fit as long as your gas block is low profile. It's 12 inches long and no cutout for the front sight. I have an AR556 and I would like to convert the gas block like you did. See the link below...

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-...length-ar15-m4
    Respect Few.....Fear None

(Berks County)

I'm under the assumption that the gas block sits further away on a rifle lenghth and the rifle handguard won't fit? I'm not sure though.

(Somerset County)

I misread there are plenty of companies that make up to 15 inch handguards. 13-15 inch look good on a 16 inch barrel IMO. ALG is good for the price. Midwest, back, Centurion there are countless options. You can go with keymod , mlock, or a quadrail depending on your preference

(Somerset County)

Look at Guntec if on a budget. If you have a low pro gas block why not free float. They are like $50-100. Matrix is another brand with good feedback on other forums. They start at like $50

(Allegheny County)

Aero Precision "Quantum" isn't overly expensive and it's good quality.

I have the 7" one on my pistol. You will need to add their barrel nut ($10-$15) so factor that into the pricing.
    It's not as narrow as the ALG Defense handguards, so keep that in mind if it's important.
    NOTE: Magpul front MBUS sight does not fold without some filing due to the low mounting of the front rail section.
    Granite Ridge usually has good pricing.

I highly recommend ALG Defense. Very high quality at a very good price and multiple styles to choose from.
    I have one and I'll likely be getting their products for my upcoming builds.
    Primary Arms runs "20% off all ALG handguards" sales from time to time if you can afford to wait for a sale.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Magpul rifle hand guards won't fit unless you move the gas block up, which means a new rifle length barrel

Magpuls are made to lock into the ring behind the gas block, and, as there are three gas tube/gas block lengths (carbine, mid length, and rifle), there are three handguard lengths to match.

I don't recall seeing any snap on handguards that will cover a cut down gas block. Your best be is to find a low price free float hand guard, which in many cases will also require you to change the delta ring/gas nut to something they provide.

If you don't like the empty gap look, consider replacing the gas block with something a little more bulky, like a YHM flip up sight/gas block combo.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Berks County)

Thanks that's what I thought. Free float is in my future

(York County)

If you want to use a longer full floating hand guard you don't need to buy a low profile gas block you can just modify the front sight gas block by cutting it down reshaping it and refinishing it sound like a complicated process but it only take about 15 minutes once you have it off the barrel you don't even have to take the gas tube out of it...

Here is a picture of one ready to go back on the longer hand guard will go right over top of it and you will never no the difference between it and a new low profile one.

I really like converting the pin on type because the pins are better then set screws in my opinion.

EDR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edritchey; February 19th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Every day's a Saturday

The MOE handguard has to be supported front and rear to stay put. You can get a kit to freefloat an MOE handguard from WOA but your are looking $105 for the assembly plus what the MOE handguard costs. Might as well just buy an ALG rail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast