Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Upcoming Gun Show Suggestions

Ok, I have 3 options on upcoming gun shows that are near me (2 hours each way but that's the closest this month). I wasn't sure where to put this, I thought about putting it in the Gun Show section but it's not a posting about a particular show so if it has to be moved, no big deal.

I have 3 options, york, harrisburg or oaks. Is anyone better than the other or better prices? Or more used pistols/hunting rifles? All three of them are about 1000 tables so the size is the same (roughly) and I've never been to any gun show so I don't know what to expect from each of them except traffic. I'm not going to go to all 3 of them in one weekend, that would destroy me so any advice? I'll probably hit the Ice Box show when it comes around since it's 25 minutes away. I'm trying to save a couple of bucks wherever I can and as long as these guns haven't been abused, why not? They should also have LE trade ins which are popular for the penny-pinchers like myself or am I way off with my expectations? And if anyone is going to go on Sunday I should be there (God willing my wife doesn't get a bug up her a$$ to do something else)

Default Re: Upcoming Gun Show Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    am I way off with my expectations?
    If you are expecting to find a good deal at a gun show then I would say you are way off with your expectations.
    NRA Benefactor

(Berks County)

Three really good ones

York has been sweet to me.

Harrisburg second

Oaks third. Will have pickles and the closest to me.

(Montgomery County)

I go to gun shows mostly for the entertainment factor. You CAN find deals but you have to look. You should also know what a good deal is on what you are trying to buy and go for it. It's true that anything you can buy at a gun show you can also buy at a store or online but nowhere will you find so much variety that you can tocuh and feel under one roof. My favorite is Oaks but then again I am just 10 minutes away.

(Allegheny County)

I've never been to any gun show so I don't know what to expect
    Body odor.

(Chester County)

If you're looking for used/milsurp firearms, I'd skip the Great Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, although there are some available, this show focuses more on hunting, fishing and the firearms manufactures new fangled, whiz-bang goodies. Oaks is loaded with all kinds of new and used/milsurp firearms and accessories, you have to check out a lot of real estate to find the deals and the same with York, though I haven't been there in about 2 years. Prices have been close to or above retail on most firearms I've seen at the last 2 Oaks shows, 1 prior to the election and the most recent post-election. Ammo and accessory deals are there to be had but you gotta shop 'em.

(Indiana County)

Depends on what you are looking for.

A new Savage Axis hunting rifle?
    Go to Walmart.

A new Sig229?
    Call around your local shops.

A slightly used Axis or 229 at a deep discount?
    Skip the show and buy a new one.

Now if you are after a CZ27 or 1903 Remington, a gun show is a good place to look around.
    Sometimes you will find a dealer looking to really move inventory, this is why I go in and do a quick walk through looking for the tables that are packed with lookie lous.
    The lookie lou swarm is a good indicator of deals.

Be prepared to find no deals.
    Some shows are a bust.
    Don't let that discourage you if it happens, some of my best buy's have been at shows where an unknowing seller is giving something away.

Another thing, with the Sea Hag losing the election, many places are overstocked that were hoping to rake gun owners over the coals when she won.
    These place will have to sell to pay their bills.

Don't be afraid to make an offer at a show.
    Now don't be a smartass and offer $100 for a $600 rifle, but if that $600 rifle is $600 everywhere else just ask if they'd take $500 if you're comfortable with $500.
    Lowballing is a sure way to piss someone off, a decent offer while a little low might get accepted or get you a counter offer.
    This works best on used items.
    A used gun priced at $500 is a gun the dealer probably has $200-250 into, so if you leave them some room for profit with your offer they might accept.

The gun show game can take years of practice.
    If you are a good reader of personalities it's easier.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't find a deal at shows, 25 years and dozens upon dozens of great deals tells me otherwise.

(Mifflin County)

(2 hours each way but that's the closest this month)
    My advice? Go to your local shop and buy what you want, it's probably going to be roughly the same price there, maybe cheaper, as the show. Now, take the money you didn't waste going to a show (Gas, parking, entry fee, meals, etc) and buy ammo. Take the time you didn't waste and go to the range.

Don't let anyone tell you they got a great deal at a gun show. Odds are they didn't take the actual full cost into account, and are trying to convince themselves they got a deal. Have to justify going, you know....

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    My advice? Go to your local shop and buy what you want, it's probably going to be roughly the same price there, maybe cheaper, as the show. Now, take the money you didn't waste going to a show (Gas, parking, entry fee, meals, etc) and buy ammo. Take the time you didn't waste and go to the range.

Don't let anyone tell you they got a great deal at a gun show. Odds are they didn't take the actual full cost into account, and are trying to convince themselves they got a deal. Have to justify going, you know....
    The Transitional 1903 I picked up for the cost of a standard 1903 says you are wrong.
    The Hungarian 91/30 Russian capture I bought for the cost of a common Russian refurb says you are woefully wrong.
    The Mossberg 590A1 I picked up from an old dealer who recently closed up shop for less than dealer cost says you're wrong.
    An Argentine Engineers Carbine bayonet for $75 says you are very wrong.
    A Finnish 28/30 for $200 because the dealer thought it was a Russian M44 someone cut up...

$10 surplus FAL mags last fall, $6 AK mags, new .44 Special brass for .10 each and so much more.

I really hate it when people insinuate I'm a liar when they have a mouthful of sour grapes.

Hell, the deals I've gotten from a member here, Scotsguard when he is set up is well worth the gas and admission price.

Does every show hold the deals? Heck no, but to make a blanket statement that there are no deals and calling others a liar for saying there are is pretty ignorant.

(Mifflin County)

Well, since I have no idea the value of the screwball stuff you have listed there, I have no idea if those are GREAT deals and frankly don't give a shit. It's not likely that's what the OP or most of the marketplace wants. It remains that my experience shows the typical buyer is generally better off going the route I posted than wasting time and money at a show. Especially if that show involves 4 hours of driving. Want to go to fondle a bunch of stuff? Go for it. Looking for some odd ball piece that most dealers don't stock because you're about the only person interested in it? Yeah, probably better hit the shows. Really like beef jerky and want to see what's new? Sure.

Typical buyer looking for a great deal on a current production gun? You're likely wasting your time and money.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast