Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: Man going to jail for finishing AR lowers for customers

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    So basically, it's a law which only a "skilled machinist" is actually capable of complying with? How is such a law even Constitutional?
    Actually there are plenty of folks that do this using cordless drills, so I don't think there is any requirement to be a "skilled machinist". I can do a ghetto job with a drill and make my own, or I can pay the money for a CNC machine and make my own. but I can't go to someone else who in the course of their business is allowing customers to use his mill for a fee. The subject of the story and his customers were trying to cheat the system just so they could have a finely machined lower and make money doing it, while avoiding all of the licensing, insurance and everything else that a legit manufacturer has to deal with.

I'm all for building your own gun, and even if it is a gray area, I think you should be allowed to borrow the tools to do so (<-this seems to be a hotly debated subject along the lines of build parties) but the minute you are doing it for profit, you better be playing by the rules. My humble opinion
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Erie County)

There are too many special agents in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Actually there are plenty of folks that do this using cordless drills, so I don't think there is any requirement to be a "skilled machinist". I can do a ghetto job with a drill and make my own, or I can pay the money for a CNC machine and make my own. but I can't go to someone else who in the course of their business is allowing customers to use his mill for a fee. The subject of the story and his customers were trying to cheat the system just so they could have a finely machined lower and make money doing it, while avoiding all of the licensing, insurance and everything else that a legit manufacturer has to deal with.

I'm all for building your own gun, and even if it is a gray area, I think you should be allowed to borrow the tools to do so (<-this seems to be a hotly debated subject along the lines of build parties) but the minute you are doing it for profit, you better be playing by the rules. My humble opinion
    Yeah, I get the "for profit" part and running an unlicensed enterprise which affects legit and compliant competitors, but why is it illegal to purchase an 80% lower, then take it over to your buddy's house who owns the required equipment and who instructs or helps or even does all the milling and drilling for you for free as seems to be the case with this law? That's governmental overreach.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Yeah, I get the "for profit" part and running an unlicensed enterprise which affects legit and compliant competitors, but why is it illegal to purchase an 80% lower, then take it over to your buddy's house who owns the required equipment and who instructs or helps or even does all the milling and drilling for you for free as seems to be the case with this law? That's governmental overreach.
    the problem is doing the work for you, you want to build one YOU do it, he can answer questions but YOU need to do the work. too lazy to do the work go buy a finished lower for the same price or cheaper.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    the problem is doing the work for you, you want to build one YOU do it, he can answer questions but YOU need to do the work. too lazy to do the work go buy a finished lower for the same price or cheaper.
    What if you're just someone who doesn't know a Phillips head from getting head? Laziness doesn't factor into it. I don't want the government in my bedroom and I don't want the government in my or my buddy's workshop, either.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Clearfield County)

It's a fucking cnc mill, why didn't the idiot just let his customers press the button to start it?

(Erie County)

If the work is done at a business set up for machining, then that is a problem, whether or not money changes hands.

Going over to a buddies house, where there is a bridgeport in the garage, might not be so gray, but could be a problem if you show up with a six-pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

What if you're just someone who doesn't know a Phillips head from getting head? Laziness doesn't factor into it. I don't want the government in my bedroom and I don't want the government in my or my buddy's workshop, either.
    then that person shouldnt be "building" just go buy a complete one face to face. laziness is the biggest factor in it. would you build a house if you didnt know how to use the tools and how to make it to code?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    It's a fucking cnc mill, why didn't the idiot just let his customers press the button to start it?

If you read it, you would see that this is how he tried to go about it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

What if someone rented time at a 'maker space' kind of location? Just curious if that would fall under the same umbrella. Like a small shop that has woodworking and metalworking tools and machines, 3D printers, etc. and people just bought time for use of the shop, but did their own work. Places like that exist, but I don't know if the firearm aspect is permitted or legal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast