Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montour County)

Default Advice on AR15 300 blk build

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to build an at upper in 300 blk. I will be using a Mega arms upper/lower set and a Mega 16" barrel with carbine length gas port. The plans are to add a Amtac over barrel ,under handgaurd suppressor .

My question , are there any parts in specific I should be looking into since this will be a suppressed gun, or any other thing you do different for suppressed guns?

Frank

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Advice on AR15 300 blk build

Not really.... I like adjustable gas blocks on all my builds (all of my ARs can run my silencer). Just on the suppressed part, keeping as much of the gas blow back down is always a good thing, especially on a DI gun.

I put a mega barrel on my SPR build, and was very pleased with it. I'm sure the 16" is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by ICarryGlock19 View Post
    Thanks in advance.

I'm going to build an at upper in 300 blk. I will be using a Mega arms upper/lower set and a Mega 16" barrel with carbine length gas port. The plans are to add a Amtac over barrel ,under handgaurd suppressor .

My question , are there any parts in specific I should be looking into since this will be a suppressed gun, or any other thing you do different for suppressed guns?

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Not really.... I like adjustable gas blocks on all my builds (all of my ARs can run my silencer). Just on the suppressed part, keeping as much of the gas blow back down is always a good thing, especially on a DI gun.

I put a mega barrel on my SPR build, and was very pleased with it. I'm sure the 16" is just as good.
    I opted for the adjustable BCG rather than the adjustable gas block on my 300 SBR build.

(Berks County)

I know nothing of the suppressor company you mentioned (I read up a lot on NFA stuff and that never crossed my radar or forums I read, not that makes it bad just an unknown), looks interesting but there are drawbacks to that design vs a typical can. Are you trying to save the 200 dollars for an SBR stamp going this route? What is your goal with this rifle? My opinion if you want the most out of a suppressed 300 you should be looking at 8-10" range of barrel length with a pistol gas length and a standard .30 caliber rated can. That setup you mentioned will be heavier as well since you'll have both the barrel and suppressor weight combined. I do not run any adjustable gas on my suppressed SBR 300 and never had the need, my 10.5 556 SBR is a different story. I'd suggest building it as you wish and correcting issues as they arise. You may or may not need an adjustable gas block with that can as the reflex design I think tends to lessen back pressure. Good luck and post your results when you get to the range.

(Montour County)

Quote Originally Posted by awfroadan View Post
    I know nothing of the suppressor company you mentioned (I read up a lot on NFA stuff and that never crossed my radar or forums I read, not that makes it bad just an unknown), looks interesting but there are drawbacks to that design vs a typical can. Are you trying to save the 200 dollars for an SBR stamp going this route? What is your goal with this rifle? My opinion if you want the most out of a suppressed 300 you should be looking at 8-10" range of barrel length with a pistol gas length and a standard .30 caliber rated can. That setup you mentioned will be heavier as well since you'll have both the barrel and suppressor weight combined. I do not run any adjustable gas on my suppressed SBR 300 and never had the need, my 10.5 556 SBR is a different story. I'd suggest building it as you wish and correcting issues as they arise. You may or may not need an adjustable gas block with that can as the reflex design I think tends to lessen back pressure. Good luck and post your results when you get to the range.
    Yes I am trying to save a bit for the second stamp. Most likely I will only purchase the can IF and When it dose not require the extra for the stamp and a 9 month wait. There really is no goal. I don't even shoot that much. For me the excitement is the picking, searching and gathering of the parts and the build its self .

(Delaware County)

I say look into the JP Silent Captured Buffer. I am a huge fan of these they make shooting suppressed a little more quiet and they eliminate that "twang" from your normal buffer and spring. I have these in all 3 of my AR's 5.56 and 300 Blackout.

(Berks County)

I wouldn't wait too long. The hearing protection act will probably not happen or not anytime too soon anyway, as much as I would like it too and asap. The wait isn't going to get any shorter than getting in line right now. I understand the wait is hard, I'm probably not going to see my one stamp until sometime in mid to late this year and that was bought in June of 2016. If you file a form 1 for an SBR you'll see it quicker than a form 4 for a suppressor. Doing an SBR on an AR lower allows you to own multiple short uppers in different calibers and configurations so I think it's well worth it. That's just me though. Do you reload? 300BLK is even better if you reload. You can make subs for a fraction of buying them loaded and you can tune your load to your rifle. The silent captured spring is nice, I run one on my 300 but I'm not 100% convinced of the cost vs the benefit. There are ways to rid or reduce the twang cheaper than that solution.

(Montour County)

Quote Originally Posted by ftownkev View Post
    I say look into the JP Silent Captured Buffer. I am a huge fan of these they make shooting suppressed a little more quiet and they eliminate that "twang" from your normal buffer and spring. I have these in all 3 of my AR's 5.56 and 300 Blackout.
    In your opinion is the JP captured spring worth the extra 100 to 150 dollars more over standard spring and buffer. I like the idea of the "twang" going away but not sure if its worth the money for just that reason.

(Delaware County)

I can't really answer that. For my it was worth it that's why I bought them and put them in all 3 of my ARs. If you are in the South Philly Area I would be happy to let you try out my 10" 300 Blackout AR with it in there

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ICarryGlock19 View Post
    In your opinion is the JP captured spring worth the extra 100 to 150 dollars more over standard spring and buffer. I like the idea of the "twang" going away but not sure if its worth the money for just that reason.
    There are other springs out there that will cut down on the twang for much less. One is Damage Industries Enhanced buffer spring. The problem being is that many times the .300blk needs a lighter spring than a carbine spring and that really limits your options, and thus noise reduction options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast