Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: New to Shooting Range, Questions about State Game Lands 203

I was there three weeks ago. As I was setting up, there was a guy to my left shooting. The guy to his left was leaving; he picked up his rifle with one hand, pointed it toward the guy in the middle, and dry fired the rifle before he cased it. I have never before seen such a stupid thing happen. I almost crapped my pants because I was in line with everything that happened, I was so dumbfounded, I was at a loss for words.

As the day went on, the range was busy, and I left without taking down my targets, but there was no other firearm stupidity that I saw. I don’t understand the clear command for making a range hot, it must be a SGL thing because I hear it at French Creek in Chester County, Scotia in Centre County, and at the Wexford range in Allegheny County.

Sunday I went back early and there was a guy shooting rifle well before the time permitted for Sunday use. I asked him to not shoot early or we may lose Sunday range time like there is no hunting on Sunday, he stopped. To make up for my Saturday targets, on Sunday, I took down all the old targets on the rifle range and picked up trash in the impact area. I then went to the pistol range and did the same. There are two pistol ranges. A guy pulled in and started shooting on the range I just picked up while working in the other, again, well before the shooting time for a Sunday. I walked over and pointed to the sign that had the shooting hours on it and asked him not to ruin it for all of us. When the other four guys patiently waiting to use the range shook their heads in agreement, he packed up his kit and left.

By the time I was done cleaning up, it was time to shoot so I went back to the rifle range for some 100 yard 22RF practice. Hardly a whisper of wind and only a few of us there so it was a good day to shoot.

I think the Game Commission got screwed on the rifle range construction. There is drainage on both sides of the rifle ranges but the range is flat not crowned and the water ponds on the range making it a big mud hole. The benches are bolted to the concrete under the roof. If you want to shoot prone, you have to shoot from between the benches and shoot around the posts that hold up the roof. At Scotia, the benches are chained to the deck so you can move the bench to the rear while shooting prone. There is a rail nailed to the posts for the entire length of the firing line. This rail is in the way for shooting kneeling and sitting. At Scotia, there is no rail. Still, overall, a huge improvement over the old range at Wexford.

As a side note, the PA Game Commission, I’m sure you all know, has raised the rounds in a rifle limit from 3 to 6. See the rules http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapjtoc.html
    § 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (b) (6) Load or discharge a firearm that contains more than six rounds of single projectile ammunition.

I called the SE office and the nice lady confirmed that the rule was changed for rifles.

The signage at Wexford still says 3 rounds for rifles.

(Beaver County)

I haven't been to the range since it was "reoriented". I'd like to get back and see what they did.

(Allegheny County)

SIX rounds now?
    Sounds like they caved to the spray and pray crowd.

Blood will run in the streets.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    SIX rounds now?
    Sounds like they caved to the spray and pray crowd.

Blood will run in the streets.

Sweet!

Now I don't have to worry about getting a summons if I load my K31 mag all the way.

(Montgomery County)

Does anyone know for sure if there's a pistol range at French Creek/Chester County?
    I don't see one here which sucks: http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/default.aspx

Also, if anyone knows outdoor ranges near Conshohocken, PA/Montgomery County which do not have stringent membership requirements/commitment, please feel free to post.

French Creek range is all one big range with 100 yd backers on the left and 50 yard backers on the right. No separate pistol range.

You have to be careful, if you're shooting on the far right 50 yard bench, you can't see the far right 100 yard backer because the 50yd impact area blocks it from view.
    After a cease fire, make sure you walk over and take a peek at the far right 100yd backer to make sure no one is down there before going hot.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you! You're the best.

(Washington County)

I took my first trip to the SGL 203 ranges at noon today and for a state run publicly used range I was impressed! There were probably 20-25 shooters, a lot sighting in deer rifles but just as many toying with ARs and one M1A guy. I was sighting in my FAL build. Almost everyone was following the rules and being safe. I had to tell one guy to stop handling a rifle while people were down range hanging targets. He was showing his 10/22 to a friend and took it well. Lot of guys not wearing eye protection, but I didn't feel like putting on my NRA Instructor hat today and telling grown men to protect their eyes. Everyone was on board with the range commands and making sure everyone else was on board. The place was pretty clean too. Overall a good experience and I hope they're all like that.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Weird thing about the SGL ranges is, at least the last time I was there, the word that everyone uses to call for a cold range is the same as the word everyone uses to call for a hot one ("Clear").
    Calling "Clear" is a Wexford range tradition that I haven't seen anywhere else. It's been that way there since at least the early 90's.

(Allegheny County)

I really hate how things work there - clear .....is the range hot or cold ? That is the safe way. Few speak those words of wisdom...
    Oh by the way, watch out for the morons who are handling their guns while people are at their targets!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast