Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: New to Shooting Range, Questions about State Game Lands 203

Keep an eye on your guns when changing targets. They have been known to disappear. Bringing a first aid kit is also a good idea.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

I have been hit by fragments from far behind the shooters - my suggestion is to put your ears, hat (with peak to deflect brass from getting in between your eyes and glasses (called eyes) on before exiting your vehicle.
    As a range safety officer I bring extra glasses and have offered them to the risk takers shooting without any for the time i am still there if I think they may use them without attitude to me - i did this 2 days ago.

With Wexford, where I went to shoot the last few days, it is rare to hear anything other than "clear" which is so dangerous. I will say range "going hot or cold" and a few say that but not many. Watch out - pay attention which "clear" they mean.

The biggest danger and the officers there haven't changed it, even after my numerous requests for a sign - is the quantity of shooters who HANDLE THEIR FIREARMS !!!while people are downrange putting up or changing targets . I see this even more so than the ones who don't keep their firearms pointed downrange.

I saw a man on a bike leaving and upon approaching the firing line, I was told I just missed an insane event. It turns out that man on the bike (no offense to bikers) pulled up walked to the center of the range and proceeded to unload his firearm while all the people were downrange on either side of him - forward of him also !! They were all in disbelief. He hopped back on his bike and took off - its probably a good thing I wasn't there - I speak my mind.

Op - just be cautious. - watch the other shooters and leave if you see stupidity and dangerous behavior
    Last edited by Just1more; February 22nd, 2017 at 08:42 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Keep an eye on your guns when changing targets. They have been known to disappear. Bringing a first aid kit is also a good idea.
    When I make a trip to SGL range, I take my guns with me if changing anything other than 25 yard target, and always carry concealed also. There were several incidents of guys coming through the woods, grabbing a rifle, and then running off to a waiting car.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I have been hit by fragments from far behind the shooters - my suggestion is to put your ears, hat (with peak to deflect brass from getting in between your eyes and glasses (called eyes) on before exiting your vehicle.
    As a range safety officer I bring extra glasses and have offered them to the risk takers shooting without any for the time i am still there if I think they may use them without attitude to me - i did this 2 days ago.

With Wexford, where I went to shoot the last few days, it is rare to hear anything other than "clear" which is so dangerous. I will say range "going hot or cold" and a few say that but not many. Watch out - pay attention which "clear" they mean.

The biggest danger and the officers there haven't changed it, even after my numerous requests for a sign - is the quantity of shooters who HANDLE THEIR FIREARMS !!!while people are downrange putting up or changing targets . I see this even more so than the ones who don't keep their firearms pointed downrange.

I saw a man on a bike leaving and upon approaching the firing line, I was told I just missed an insane event. It turns out that man on the bike (no offense to bikers) pulled up walked to the center of the range and proceeded to unload his firearm while all the people were downrange on either side of him - forward of him also !! They were all in disbelief. He hopped back on his bike and took off - its probably a good thing I wasn't there - I speak my mind.

Op - just be cautious. - watch the other shooters and leave if you see stupidity and dangerous behavior
    I avoid the SGL ranges whenever possible.

George Carlin had a great line about driving. Everyone else on the road is either slower than you (asshole!) or faster than you (maniac!). Only you drive right.

SGL is kinda that way for me.

Assholes: Stupid unsafe behavior that makes me nervous... Plenty of examples already given and none exaggerated one bit IME.

Maniacs: the 'range commandos' yelling at folks for no good reason. One time I was done, packed up and just waiting to leave, so right when 'going cold' was called (and yes, someone actually hollered 'clear') I went down, collected my targets, tossed 'em, and went to walk to my car - all with my already-holstered-and-secured-before-it-was-even-called pistol, when I had some drilly sergeant type start screaming at me "DON'T TOUCH YOUR WEAPON WHILE PEOPLE ARE DOWNRANGE!!!!"... Huh WTF? Another time I had a guy get all spitting and red-faced screaming how my son had 'swept' him with his rifle...which was odd since we were on the pistol range and didn't have a rifle. Though in all fairness, my son may have 'swept' him with the broom we were using to get up our spent casings.

Sure in reality it's more a bell curve with, I'd guess, 60% of folks in the "acting responsibly" middle, but the 20% on each end are skeevy.

Nor am I perfect - the first time I ever went to SGL I loaded up 15 in the mag and blazed away until someone mentioned the 'limit' to me. But there's a difference between having "too many" rounds in the mag, and blasting away while folks are downrange...
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    When I make a trip to SGL range, I take my guns with me if changing anything other than 25 yard target, and always carry concealed also. There were several incidents of guys coming through the woods, grabbing a rifle, and then running off to a waiting car.
    I always carry something other than what I'm shooting at the SGL. Normally my little Ruger IWB at 6:00.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I use my ankle holster while there. I guess I haven't been there enough to hear the range commandos but certainly have seen the others. At my range we have our own range with berms between shooters which is awesome but the downfall is I don't see other shooters or get to swap guns like I do when shooting with others. I am almost always offered to try other guns. A man used skateboard tape and a few alterations on his identical cz75b that I have so that was educational for me.
    George Carlin was a funny guy!! I miss him.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I use my ankle holster while there. I guess I haven't been there enough to hear the range commandos but certainly have seen the others. At my range we have our own range with berms between shooters which is awesome but the downfall is I don't see other shooters or get to swap guns like I do when shooting with others. I am almost always offered to try other guns. A man used skateboard tape and a few alterations on his identical cz75b that I have so that was educational for me.
    George Carlin was a funny guy!! I miss him.
    I should clarify that I'm speaking specifically of the ones near me (Carlisle & York) and even those two vary in both facilities and "culture." I'm sure they all vary statewide, some better / some worse. For example I've NEVER encountered a "Range Commando" at the Carlisle SGL range... but the "yee-ha idiot" ratio there is distinctly high (moreso on pistol than rifle range).
    DGAF

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I should clarify that I'm speaking specifically of the ones near me (Carlisle & York) and even those two vary in both facilities and "culture." I'm sure they all vary statewide, some better / some worse. For example I've NEVER encountered a "Range Commando" at the Carlisle SGL range... but the "yee-ha idiot" ratio there is distinctly high (moreso on pistol than rifle range).
    Now that you mention it, that's very true about the pistol range. I've used it once in the thirteen years since I've been back in Erie. The last time I was there, there were three guys shooting. One at fifteen feet, one at 20 feet, and one at thirty. The backstops are all at thirty feet from the shooting stands, and the guy shooting fifteen was in the middle. Well at least the guy at thirty was pretty safe. lol.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all. I finally made it to the game lands this weekend on sat. Morning. Good times. People said clear for both when range was going hot and cold, which can potentially be confusing. Everyone was friendly. Is the range for pistols 10 or 25 yards?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr37 View Post
    Thanks all. I finally made it to the game lands this weekend on sat. Morning. Good times. People said clear for both when range was going hot and cold, which can potentially be confusing. Everyone was friendly. Is the range for pistols 10 or 25 yards?
    its a little less crazy weekdays and early..(most of the time).. and I think the right hand pistol bays are like 10 yards and the left hand side 25 yards..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast