Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Couple of Forum observations

With regard to the pictures, unless somebody uploads the pictures through the editor, it won't show that there are pictures attached unless you click on the ad. I use drop box because it doesn't care how large my pictures are. I feel like the file size limit is kind of antiquated, but drop box is an easy enough work around.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    As to OP, I completely agree: It's just dumbass to post a listing without picture. I don't even consider picture-less posts just on the basis of "if you can't be bothered/can't figure it out, I probably won't be happy transacting with you anyway"...
    Depends on what it is.

If I am selling a box of ammo, and my description is clear, what do you need a picture for?

If I am selling a completely stock pistol, and my description is clear, what do you need a picture for?

Now, if someone is selling a customized AR with all kinds of farkles, then yeah, post a picture.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Depends on what it is.

If I am selling a box of ammo, and my description is clear, what do you need a picture for?

If I am selling a completely stock pistol, and my description is clear, what do you need a picture for?

Now, if someone is selling a customized AR with all kinds of farkles, then yeah, post a picture.
    A few chains of thought on this:

1) Practicality. Your item will sell better with a picture.

2) Substantive. A picture of your box of ammo gives me lots of clues as to condition. Is it crisp & clean? Are there mildew stains on it. Is it crushed and beat up? Is the ammo bright and shiny or have tarnish on it? All matter to me and suggest to me how it's been stored, etc. Pictures of your stock pistol gives me similar manifold cues about condition, storage, etc. If nothing else, pictures are a good indication of "nothing to hide"...

3) Engagement. If you aren't willing or able to take a few moments to at least take some quick photos with your phone, I suspect (have found in the past) you will also tend to be less responsive, less likely to work with me via text or email versus phone as I prefer, be less flexible in meeting to transact, etc. As I said, in my experience "I won't be as happy transacting with you" and thus I'm less likely to initiate in the first place (see item 1)

4) Why -wouldn't- you include a photo, given it's nearly no time/effort/expense to do so?

2) Substantive. A picture of your box of ammo gives me lots of clues as to condition. Is it crisp & clean? Are there mildew stains on it. Is it crushed and beat up? Is the ammo bright and shiny or have tarnish on it? All matter to me and suggest to me how it's been stored, etc. Pictures of your stock pistol gives me similar manifold cues about condition, storage, etc. If nothing else, pictures are a good indication of "nothing to hide"...

3) Engagement. If you aren't willing or able to take a few moments to at least take some quick photos with your phone, I suspect (have found in the past) you will also tend to be less responsive, less likely to work with me via text or email versus phone as I prefer, be less flexible in meeting to transact, etc. As I said, in my experience "I won't be as happy transacting with you" and thus I'm less likely to initiate in the first place (see item 1)

4) Why -wouldn't- you include a photo, given it's nearly no time/effort/expense to do so?
    Well said.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Indiana County)

Someone posted an ad yesterday for a few guns, two of which I would have drove out today and bought if I could have only seen them without having to send emails or make phone calls.
    The seller offered shipping but it was so high I'd save 75% by driving and I don't even have Geico...
    But again, no pictures, not gonna bother...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Someone posted an ad yesterday for a few guns, two of which I would have drove out today and bought if I could have only seen them without having to send emails or make phone calls.
    The seller offered shipping but it was so high I'd save 75% by driving and I don't even have Geico...
    But again, no pictures, not gonna bother...
    As someone who makes my living selling stuff online, I can boil it down to this: Make the buyer's life easier (photos, good details in listing, multiple ways to contact, be responsive) and you'll do better. If you prefer an "if you want it you'll deal on my terms" (harrumph) selling position, that's fine too. I'm particularly amused by the confrontational "If you don't have cash now ready to buy now on my terms don't even bother contacting me" style posting. Ooookay then. I do get that there are jackass 'buyers' out there and that's frustrating. But either you wanna sell the thing as fast as possible for the best price possible... or you don't.

In any case, the less you make it 'easy' for the buyer, the more you're simply missing opportunities / max price potential. The more you make it tough for the buyer, the more you'll get limited offers and a lower price. Your choice, and neither is "wrong". Just is what it is...

(Indiana County)

All of the above...

As for the examples you replied to, yes, just because someone says they have four boxes of .357 hollow points doesn't mean they are factory loads, how big are the boxes, brass or nickle...
    That's a big problem, I've seen ads like this "4 boxes .44 mag, $80!!! Cheap!!!" with no picture.
    Is it 200 rounds of lead reloads or 80 rounds of Hornady self defense loads?

Look at that monitor above, if there was no picture, just a description saying "monitor like new, cheap!!!!" would you expect to show up and see that jock itch spray?

I supplement my income by selling online as well.
    Recently I bought a box full of Red Cross magazines from WWI for a dollar at a yard sale.
    I sold them online for $5 each.
    I took pictures, front and back cover, a couple pages inside of each one.
    If I had been lazy and just advertised "old Red Cross magazines" most people wouldn't have known they were wartime issues with war related covers and artwork.

Last year I lucked into a few dozen British oilers.
    They were dirty.
    I cleaned them and looked up the makers marks.
    I could have made it easy on myself and listed them using a buy it now with no choice to the buyer, but instead I took individual pictures of each one and did a description for each one.
    Mine sold for a premium over other sellers with generic listings, I'm talking 40% more on average.

Guns...
    The ones I mentioned, one is a wartime rifle.
    The description is vague on the matching numbers.
    I'd like to have seen if they were electropencil or stamped matching.
    What color and condition is the stock?
    Is it a replacement stock?
    Is it refurbished?
    What maker is it? I would know if I had a picture...
    Where is the import mark?
    Has it been drilled and tapped?

All of the above I could determine easily with a picture.

Same goes for a modern gun.
    Say someone lists a new CZ P07.
    With no picture is it possibly a tan colored frame?
    Is it new in th box and if so are all the goodies included?

Pictures mean a huge deal to me.
    I'm not going to drive a couple hours only to go home empty handed because I trusted the sellers vague description.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    ^^^ this. If I can't see it, I don't want it. It's no different here than Craigslist, though - lots of ads with no pics.

Not that pics always help. This guy's monitor has been for sale for a couple of months, grime, cigarette butts, jock itch, and all.

Is that a can of jock itch spray? This must be a goof! On a side note for you puffers out there, that's two or three new guns and/or a shit ton of ammo or range time going up in smoke each year.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Allegheny County)

...as I indicated...in the cases I indicated, I wouldn't feel it necessary.....as much as, apparently, some would. Some transactions between two are just not destined to happen (:

But, like I said, in many instances, a picture absolutely should be included. Just depends on the situation (:

Generally, if I bother to sell something online, I am offering it at a very good price. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it, or dealing with people who want to take up a bunch of my time. Just not worth it to me. For that reason, I just pitch a lot of stuff that I COULD sell. For example - I have a lamp in the basement that is pretty decent. I could probably sell it for $5-$10. But I'm not going to post it on Craiglist, it will just go to the trash. I don't want to deal with someone for $5-$10. I hate people. People hate me. So it tends to work out (:

Yes i really want to see pictures of those vhs tapes and sledge hammers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast