Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Angry Handgun purchase delay

Hi folks,

I went up to the gun shop to pick up my favorite Smith & Wesson 1911 yesterday, filled up the application and conduct a background check. I was inform by the salesman I'm placed into research and doesn't necessarily mean I will be denied. I told him I attempted to purchase a Springfield XD Mod 2 handgun, successfully passed the PICS check and retrieved the handgun. That was five days ago. How is that possible when I passed a PICS check in less than a minute and then five days ago attempt to buy another handgun and placed into research. Well the day before I passed the PICS, I got off probation for a double DUI; maybe that could be the issue. However both DUIs are ungraded misdemeanors... I have no first-degree misdemeanor or any type of felony, protection from abuse, no record of being involuntary committed to a psychiatric hospital or order of relinquish of firearms by any court. I mean nothing except only two ungraded misdemeanors...

Can someone help me please? Any tips or info could be helpful to see why I was delayed. I have bought many guns in the past, passed PICS check within seconds and took the firearms the same day. Being placed in research is my very first and I was shocked. That has never happened to me.

Thanks

Default Re: Handgun purchase delay

NCIC in PA was down for quite a bit of time yesterday, from about 4pm until 10pm. I am sure that could have something to do with it. If you normally pass and didn't have any other issues, I imagine you will be approved in a day or so.

(Delaware County)

It's best to not assume the "check" will only take about 15 minutes. My background check was held up at a gun show for at least an hour, but I had to leave for a prior engagement. That lost me $35.. A few months later, at another show, I was approved quickly.

(Northampton County)

I was doing a transfer at about 5:45 last night service was erratic and not all transfers were completed. My customer had to wait about 40 minutes.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    I was doing a transfer at about 5:45 last night service was erratic and not all transfers were completed. My customer had to wait about 40 minutes.
    Yep. PICS may have been working, but because some of the databases were down, I am sure the process was disrupted. So im guessing if you have a squeaky clean record, you might have gotten through. But if there was a hit returned, the examiners might not have been able to see the charges or the disposition. This happens a few times a year and disrupts business across the state.

(Lycoming County)

Thank y'all for the replies. It made so much sense regarding your responses. But guess what? I applied for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms and was just approved within minutes! So I expect to get my handgun ASAP.

(Lehigh County)

I got placed into research once.
    And it was under very similar circumstances.

I had purchased a handgun the prior weekend without issue.
    But when I went to buy another handgun the next weekend, then that PICS check I was placed into research.
    This was on a Saturday, the PICS check passed the next Tues.
    Or did it pass on Mon, the store call me on Mon., and I went back to the store on Tues. ?

I assume the two purchases so close together caused "a red flag" to thrown.
    --ET

(Chester County)

We shouldn't have to beg the government to purchase a firearm.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    We shouldn't have to beg the government to purchase a firearm.
    We shouldn't however it's the only way to be sure the firearms don't get in the wrong hands of criminals...

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    Yep. PICS may have been working, but because some of the databases were down, I am sure the process was disrupted. So im guessing if you have a squeaky clean record, you might have gotten through. But if there was a hit returned, the examiners might not have been able to see the charges or the disposition. This happens a few times a year and disrupts business across the state.
    True, may be down. But guess what?? After getting a license to carry, I found out my dealer told me I've been approved so I'm going to get my 1911 handgun tomorrow! It's a matter of time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast