Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Ruger Service Ordeal

So, my LC9S has been unreliable for the last few months and I no longer carry it. I emailed Ruger, I went to the shop I bought it from to ask their advice, they told me to call, get a service label and send it back. I got a response from the email I sent and they told me to call, have my serial number ready. I really didn't want to be on the phone but I called anyway and the girl told me to give it the shop and have them send it back. Jesus. If this gun wasn't a wedding gift from my wife, I wouldn't be trying to hard to get it fixed. Why is this such an ordeal? The two problems it has were ejecting the magazine when it's empty and failure to feed malfunctions. I polished the feed ramp, did absolutely shit. I had 6 malfunctions and a double feed this past weekend in under 100 rounds. I was able to fix the magazine issue as far as I can tell. I stuck a steel file up the magazine well and filed the catch down ever so slightly. Magazines pop right out. Now, if only I could figure out what the fuck is wrong with this gun. I thought my right thumb was pressing the slide stop up so I adjusted my grip and put my thumb on top of my left hand. Didn't help. It even did it when I was firing one handed. Am I limp wristing? Nope. Is it bad ammo? Nope. I've used Perfecta, Blazer brass, Federal, PPU, Fiocchi and Freedom Munitions. Same shit with every type of ammo. Oh and the rear sight screw came loose and I could push it out with my thumb! I'll try calling again tomorrow and hope for better results. Jesus.

So, here's a question for you folks; what do you do with an unreliable weapon that the manufacturer doesn't want to help fix or hypothetically, sends back with no change? I'm not going to sell it to someone who will make the mistake of carrying it and get her/herself killed because it fails when they need it.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ruger Service Ordeal

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    So, here's a question for you folks; what do you do with an unreliable weapon that the manufacturer doesn't want to help fix or hypothetically, sends back with no change? I'm not going to sell it to someone who will make the mistake of carrying it and get her/herself killed because it fails when they need it.
    Can't answer a hypothetical until you send it back and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised is the alternative hypothetical answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    So, my LC9S has been unreliable for the last few months and I no longer carry it. I emailed Ruger, I went to the shop I bought it from to ask their advice, they told me to call, get a service label and send it back. I got a response from the email I sent and they told me to call, have my serial number ready. I really didn't want to be on the phone but I called anyway and the girl told me to give it the shop and have them send it back. Jesus. If this gun wasn't a wedding gift from my wife, I wouldn't be trying to hard to get it fixed. Why is this such an ordeal? The two problems it has were ejecting the magazine when it's empty and failure to feed malfunctions. I polished the feed ramp, did absolutely shit. I had 6 malfunctions and a double feed this past weekend in under 100 rounds. I was able to fix the magazine issue as far as I can tell. I stuck a steel file up the magazine well and filed the catch down ever so slightly. Magazines pop right out. Now, if only I could figure out what the fuck is wrong with this gun. I thought my right thumb was pressing the slide stop up so I adjusted my grip and put my thumb on top of my left hand. Didn't help. It even did it when I was firing one handed. Am I limp wristing? Nope. Is it bad ammo? Nope. I've used Perfecta, Blazer brass, Federal, PPU, Fiocchi and Freedom Munitions. Same shit with every type of ammo. Oh and the rear sight screw came loose and I could push it out with my thumb! I'll try calling again tomorrow and hope for better results. Jesus.

Well you haven't even sent it back yet so you don't know whether or not they will fix it. I bought a $800 Springfield Armory 1911 years back. Right out of the box it would not extract shells. I sent it back and they replaced the extractor which I assume was faulty. Give them a chance to make it right, if they don't then it is time to move on (and says a lot about the company reputation).

(Allegheny County)

I would keep calling Ruger. I called a long time ago about my Vaquero that the front sight fell off. The guy I talked to said I have to overnight it to them. Well, that's like $60. I put it off and then called again. I talked to a nice person and explained the situation and they sent me a label. I dropped it at the overnight and heard back from them a week or two later.

They were great even though I didn't like the answer at first. Basically, they couldn't fix it, but offered to send me a New Vaquero. I actually agonized about it for a few weeks because it was the first handgun I ever bought and an original Vaquero. I ended up with the New Vaquero and am very happy.

I would call them again.

(Bucks County)

My only experience with Ruger was buying an original LC9. I had none of the issues you described but the SUCK ran deep in its veins. I sold it at a loss, to a friend who thought she liked it. She sold it soon after.

Needless to say my experience turned me off from Ruger even though their other products are probably better.

About 5 years later (now) I just bought a Sheild 9mm and love it

(Allegheny County)

Sell it and buy a G43.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    My only experience with Ruger was buying an original LC9. I had none of the issues you described but the SUCK ran deep in its veins. I sold it at a loss, to a friend who thought she liked it. She sold it soon after.

Needless to say my experience turned me off from Ruger even though their other products are probably better.

About 5 years later (now) I just bought a Sheild 9mm and love it
    I have had two bad experiences with Ruger. I just stick with their 10/22s now which have always been 100% for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    I have had two bad experiences with Ruger. I just stick with their 10/22s now which have always been 100% for me.
    I have a few Rugers and have never had any problems with any of them. (10/22, Mark II, Super Redhawk, Number 1) Granted mistakes do happen. Come to think of it my Dad has a Ruger semi 9mm I think a P95? He had a problem that the slide wasn't locking back after the last shot and sent it back and it works fine now, but that was in the mid 90's.

(Lehigh County)

I've got several Rugers and never any issues either. Actually, they're my top two handguns (Security Six and LC9s Pro). I'd follow keep trying, as has been said. I used to visit a Ruger forum and don't remember customer service being a big black eye. Keep trying.

(Allegheny County)

My Keltec P32 started having ejection problems. I stopped carrying it.
    I forgot all about it for the most part. When I needed money and started going through guns I could sell, I thought "Damn, there's one I don't need, but I can not sell that with a clear conscience."

I guess I should send it back. I just never think of it. Guess I'll add that to my to do list.
    I would still feel funny about selling it after getting it back if it were fixed. I guess if it ran OK I would, but I would disclose it's history.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast