Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Ruger Service Ordeal

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    So, my LC9S has been unreliable for the last few months and I no longer carry it. I emailed Ruger, I went to the shop I bought it from to ask their advice, they told me to call, get a service label and send it back. I got a response from the email I sent and they told me to call, have my serial number ready. I really didn't want to be on the phone but I called anyway and the girl told me to give it the shop and have them send it back. Jesus. If this gun wasn't a wedding gift from my wife, I wouldn't be trying to hard to get it fixed. Why is this such an ordeal? The two problems it has were ejecting the magazine when it's empty and failure to feed malfunctions. I polished the feed ramp, did absolutely shit. I had 6 malfunctions and a double feed this past weekend in under 100 rounds. I was able to fix the magazine issue as far as I can tell. I stuck a steel file up the magazine well and filed the catch down ever so slightly. Magazines pop right out. Now, if only I could figure out what the fuck is wrong with this gun. I thought my right thumb was pressing the slide stop up so I adjusted my grip and put my thumb on top of my left hand. Didn't help. It even did it when I was firing one handed. Am I limp wristing? Nope. Is it bad ammo? Nope. I've used Perfecta, Blazer brass, Federal, PPU, Fiocchi and Freedom Munitions. Same shit with every type of ammo. Oh and the rear sight screw came loose and I could push it out with my thumb! I'll try calling again tomorrow and hope for better results. Jesus.

So, here's a question for you folks; what do you do with an unreliable weapon that the manufacturer doesn't want to help fix or hypothetically, sends back with no change? I'm not going to sell it to someone who will make the mistake of carrying it and get her/herself killed because it fails when they need it.
    I would call again and tell them what you want them to do. Is your gunsmithing easy to notice? I am not sure but that might cause problems if you send it back.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Ruger has some of the best customer service and warranty repair in the industry so I would definitely send it back at least once. Call them up and tell them you want to ship the gun back to them yourself and to send you a prepaid label.

(Bucks County)

I have had good experiences with Ruger customer service. my mark iii had the main spring fall apart in the gun due to a poorly staked pin. They replaced the entire grip frame, sent me back my volquartsen parts in a bag, and replaced the jam machine (loaded chamber indicator) that I immediately removed upon receipt.

-Zach

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Trade it in at Ace for something else. Tell them it's not 100% reliable. They'll get Ruger to fix it, and their used guns come with a warranty, so the next owner won't get screwed. That's what I did with an SR9C that had occasional light primer strikes even after Ruger worked on it. I didn't get top dollar, but I didn't feel guilty about dumping my problem on some poor schlub.

(Lehigh County)

I own a LC9s Pro that I have routinely IWB CC for the past 20 months. Last summer I noticed corrosion to and "dissolution" of the nitride finish on the front left third of the slide. (I have never experienced any function issues with this fine firearm.) I contacted Ruger Service and they instructed me to immediately return the firearm to their facility in Arizona with an enclosed description of the problem. Eight days later, I received my LC9s Pro back from Ruger with a detailed description of the work performed on my firearm. They replaced the slide with a new piece, replaced the magazine release and spring, replaced the recoil spring and replaced the firing pin spring. The pistol was test fired with 50 rounds of quality Core-Bon ammunition.

My Ruger LC9s Pro looks like new and functions perfectly. Service was fast and free. Communication with Ruger was effortless and accurate. In my experience, I am extremely satisfied with Ruger.

I own many firarms of various manufacture, among them the LC9s Pro, SR9c, 22/45 MkIII and 10/22. In my opinion and experience, Ruger is a fine American firearm company.

(Montgomery County)

Call, explain, and I guarantee they will send you a shipping label. Go to FedEx or UPS and ship it. Done deal.

Every company has certain customer service reps that aren't as good as others. Sometimes you have to chalk it up to talking to an idiot, call again and get someone good.

Let them fix it, or replace you obviously have a factory defect/dud.

I have two newer Ruger pistols and both are flawless in reliability.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Mercer County)

I have several Rugar Cowboy guns .357 and .41 Mag Blackhawk, .41 Mag Bisley Blawkhawk, and .44 Mag Super Blackhawk.
    These were all bought from Montgomery Wards in the early '70s and they are flawless.

Now the Double Action Super Redhawk in .454 Casull is the biggest POS I've owned. It has made four trips back to Ruger on their dime

Bought the Super Redhawk and fired it 3 times---front sight flew off the barrel
    Trip number one back to Ruger for front sight replacement

Back to firing range: Fired 3 groups of 5 shorts (From a bench rest) to use to adjust the sights; the shot grouping on all 3 targets (Lack of anything usable to adjust the sights) on each of the 3 target looked like I firing a shotgun
    Trip number 2 to Ruger for repairs (Sent all targets and letter explaining the problem) in a month or so the gun comes back from Ruger the replaced the crane and cylinder.

Back to the firing Range loaded with Hornaday 454s was able to fire the Ruger 5 times before the cylinder locked up. Unable to open cylinder, cylinder was frozen in place. Gunsmith at dealer where this blackhawk was bought couldn't get the cylinder to move.
    Trip number 3 to Ruger: To repair this problem. Another 4 or 5 weeks at Ruger. Ruger replaced the barrel and cylinder this time.

Back to the firing range. Myself and 3 friends all fired 2 groups of 5 shots from Bench Rest at 25 feet and all of use had patterns looking like we each were shooting shotguns.

Trip number 4 back to ruger: I sent letter with my targets and had friends write a letter to be enclosed with their targets. I also sent Ruger a new 2X Leupold pistol scope with instructions to mount the scope and test fire/zero at 25 yards with scope from Bench and to send me the target along with the repaired firearm. I also requested that they send me a bill for mounting scope and zeroing. 5 Months this time before return NO Bill for mounting scope or zeroing....also they say want they done to firearm this time.

Still shooting like a shotgun with holes all over the target no three shot anywhere near each other. The Redhawk is in the safe cleaned ready for another trip; but I have given up on Ruger's Factory Repair. This battleship gray super redhawk turned it's self into a safe queen
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Call, explain, and I guarantee they will send you a shipping label. Go to FedEx or UPS and ship it. Done deal.

Every company has certain customer service reps that aren't as good as others. Sometimes you have to chalk it up to talking to an idiot, call again and get someone good.
    This is why I dropped Comcast a few years ago.
    My bill jumped, I called, lady says I'm in the third year of my contract.
    I tell her I had a two year contract and would like to work out another two year deal.
    She pretty much tells me to go to hell, my bill is what it is and that's that.
    Kept saying I was in my third year, I told her I had the signed contract from when I started the service, a guy was selling packages door to door, I have the actual paperwork right here, it's two years.
    Tough she says...
    I told her to shut the shit off the same day, right now, I'm not paying another dime.
    She chuckled and said "OK, yeah, I get that all the time"...
    I demanded to speak to a supervisor, explained I wanted it shutoff.
    She said she could do something about the bill, come up with a new deal...
    Nope, GTH, shut it off.

Went to Dish, now they just jacked up my rates.
    Time to call Directv...

(Delaware County)

I had a problem with my LC9 front sight coming loose. Called Ruger and they sent me a prepaid label. Returned in less that a week. Send it off and give them a chance to fix it. Even if you don't keep it, it will be repaired to sell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast