Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Gun Purchase Question (Philadelphia)

I have an NJ Driver's ID and my car has an NJ license plate and registration. I live in Philadelphia but will be back and forth NJ and PA over the summer, hence my preference to maintain an NJ ID.

My question is, can I purchase a handgun here in Philadelphia, and transport the firearm to a PA range using my NJ driver ID and license plate?

Thanks for any advice.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gun Purchase Question (Philadelphia)

NO! For all practical purposes you are a resident of NJ. If you have a NJ FOID and purchase approval, and wanted to buy a handgun from a PA dealer, you would have to have it shipped to a NJ FFL to complete the transfer there.

Once you have a gun you can take it back and forth from your PA residence to the range with any ID as long as you follow the law (unloaded , cased etc).
    Last edited by gghbi; March 2nd, 2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    NO! For all practical purposes you are a resident of NJ. If you have a NJ FOID and purchase approval, and wanted to buy a handgun from a PA dealer, you would have to have it shipped to a NJ FFL to complete the transfer there.

Once you have a gun you can take it back and forth from your PA residence to the range with any ID as long as you follow the law (unloaded , cased etc).
    Isn't it 90days he has to live in pa?

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear on this, even if I switch to a PA drivers id, I can still transport a gun from my PA residence to a PA gun range in an NJ registered car?

I understand this is trivial but I want clear confirmation that I can legally do such a thing.

When I go to a gun store in PA to purchase a firearm solely for use in PA and not for out of state, would having a NJ ID hamper me even if I bring proof of PA residence such as tax letters?

Out of curiosity as well. How do non-drivers from get around to a gun range if they do not have a car or friend to bring them?

Thanks in advance again for the help

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Isn't it 90days he has to live in pa?
    No.. it is within 90 days of taking up residency in PA you have to get your DL and registration changed.. and if you want to see some draconian fines for something stupid.. find someone who has lived in PA (Other than a student or military) that gets caught still using their out of state ID and registration...
    Once they have a PA license they can run straight to the LGS for a pew pew --- 99% sure of this as.. I have a friend that moved from NY.. she went straight from DMV to enjoy buying freedom!
    Last edited by Parrisk; March 2nd, 2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dontworryaboutit View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just to be clear on this, even if I switch to a PA drivers id, I can still transport a gun from my PA residence to a PA gun range in an NJ registered car?
    I understand this is trivial but I want clear confirmation that I can legally do such a thing.
    When I go to a gun store in PA to purchase a firearm solely for use in PA and not for out of state, would having a NJ ID hamper me even if I bring proof of PA residence such as tax letters?
    Out of curiosity as well. How do non-drivers from get around to a gun range if they do not have a car or friend to bring them?
    Thanks in advance again for the help
    It is not about what registration the vehicle has.. If you are allowed to own the firearm, and rent or borrow a car.. you are still good!
    Just remember in PA Open carry without a LTCF ends when your feet leave terra firma.. then you are back to transporting a firearm !UNLOADED!

I also would not recommend a PA Driver's license and a car plated in NJ in your name... can become a sticky wicket as to residency/tax/etc...
    Now if the car belongs to a family member or friend.. no problemo
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Indiana County)

I have an NJ Driver's ID and my car has an NJ license plate and registration. I live in Philadelphia but will be back and forth NJ and PA over the summer, hence my preference to maintain an NJ ID.
    Where is your domicile? Where do you receive your mail? If it's Pennsylvania, then you're pushing it.

PennDOT says: "All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency." PennDOT also says: "All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania."

When you file your Federal income tax forms, is Pennsylvania listed as your home? How about state income taxes? If you're living more than 180 days per year in Pennsylvania as opposed to New Jersey, you're a Pennsylvania resident, like it or not. Get into a serious vehicle accident and things could definitely go downhill in case anyone starts digging.

As to why you would prefer to pay New Jersey automobile insurance is your choice.

(Delaware County)

If you no longer live in NJ, what advantage does (illegally?) maintaining NJ credentials give you, even during visits? Your FOID gives you no advantage over me relative to transporting a firearm, though it does let you buy one in NJ. Having NJ ID means you *can't* buy a firearm in PA without it going to NJ first, and *prevents* you from getting your PA LTCF. I don't understand why you would do this.

If you legally possess a firearm, you may transport it the same as any other unlicensed individual throughout PA (use the search function for details), regardless of where you or the vehicle are registered.

My 2¢
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Where is your domicile? Where do you receive your mail? If it's Pennsylvania, then you're pushing it.

PennDOT says: "All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency." PennDOT also says: "[B]All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania."
    Having gone through this process a few years back, the sequence was important:
    1) To register your vehicle in PA, you need a PA ID (DL) and proof of insurance (in PA)
    2) To acquire insurance here, you need a PA ID (DL)
    That pretty much sets up the order of things.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    If you no longer live in NJ, what advantage does (illegally?) maintaining NJ credentials give you, even during visits? Your FOID gives you no advantage over me relative to transporting a firearm, though it does let you buy one in NJ. Having NJ ID means you *can't* buy a firearm in PA without it going to NJ first, and *prevents* you from getting your PA LTCF. I don't understand why you would do this.

If you legally possess a firearm, you may transport it the same as any other unlicensed individual throughout PA (use the search function for details), regardless of where you or the vehicle are registered.

My 2¢
    IANAL
    I think that automobile insurance is cheaper in parts of NJ than in Phila.
    Of course it would be immoral and illegal to keep a car registered and insured out of state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast