Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Carry

(Philadelphia County)

Default Knife Carry

So as many of you know my life isn't yet valuable enough to permit me to carry a handgun; so instead I carry a knife. As a resident of the lovely city of Philadelphia I have concern for my safety, and no longer wish to carry only a folder.

I understand that carrying any cutting instrument in philadelphia is against some silly ordnance. I have heard that most cops will let you go as long as your not acting stupid, and I never intend to give the police an opportunity to see my knife. I have also been told that violations of said ordnance are treated like a traffic ticket. At this point I'm more worried about staying safe than staying ticket-free.

With that said I've been looking for a decent fixed blade and was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice fixed blade no shorter than 4" and no longer than 5" that would be under $100 or so.

Here is the one that I really like and will most likely get if no one suggests anything I like better. http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st....html?s=KS4351

It seems to be meant for CC, is a decent size 4.5" without being "scary", comes with a sheath that can be strapped and attached to various areas, and it's supposed to be easy to sharpen up the false edge on top. I read somewhere that the tip was a bit thin, but I think it would probably be sufficient for my purposes.

Opinions, suggestions, and criticisms please.

BTW: I have a GLOCK combat knife, and it would be semi-easy to conceal; but it would also probably be viewed in a less favorable light as compared to the Kershaw. I was also thinking asp, but I have heard those are an absolute no go legally.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Knife Carry

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post

Opinions, suggestions, and criticisms please.
    Not sure about your experience, but I'd be looking at taking a proper class in knife fighting, and knife retention technique before I spend the dough to buy an expensive knife. Heck, even a martial arts class, such as Krav Maga would suit you better than a knife.

Also, if somebody pulls a gun on you, the old saying that "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" would most certainly apply. And I don't think I've ever heard of a proper knife fight happening in the city.

If some hoodlum is giving you lip, and you stab them with your knife, you are gonna be in a world of hurt, legal wise.

Don't take my post the wrong way, I carry some sort of knife everywhere I go, but its more for its usefulness in everyday activities, than for it being a proper defensive weapon.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

I understand what you're saying, but at this point its better than nothing. In my area most robberies are done by a single guy with a knife, or a group of teenagers. I already make it a point to travel with friends when possible, and I avoid bad areas at night.

I would not be stupid and try to stab someone with a gun unless it looked like it was my only option, and I would generally try to avoid physical confrontation. However, sometimes retreat simply isn't an option as we all know and in those situations a fixed blade would make me feel much better.

I am also a big guy and if I pulled out a knife I doubt many would stick around to fight it out, but if they do then at least I'm ready.

I'm not 21 so I have to make do with what I have .
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

My $0.02: get some pepper spray, take a course in some kind of unarmed martial art, and do your best to stay out of trouble. In a couple of years (and they will go fast, believe me) you will be able to apply for an LTCF. Don't give the government any excuse to deny your application.

(Philadelphia County)

Pepper spray is illegal as well . I do have some which I intend to carry in conjunction with the knife, but I'm not comfortable relying on a product that the wind can nullify if not turn against me and that a certain percent of the population is immune to. When we argue 9mmVS.45acp no one argues mace is better.

As to the don't give them a reason to deny me comment, many here carry a knife and its still illegal for them (depending on local ordnances) despite having a LTCF.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I have been carrying a folding pocket knife since I was 17 and its not a weapon to me so much as a useful tool that can be used as a weapon. I have never had a problem as I stay low-key and don't show it off. The only situation in which I could ever even imagine having a cop hassle me is an actual SD situation in which case having an "illegal" knife is the last of my worries.

Admittedly this fixed blade will be primarily a weapon, but IMO my right to life is slightly more important than some politicians right to legislate morality .

Could someone who carries a smaller fixed blade daily please chime in and possibly comment on my first post as I really would like advice and other options.

(Philadelphia County)

Pepper spray is illegal as well .
    It is not. It is sold all over Philadelphia. As are knives, I know, but I'm pretty sure it's legal. Where did you hear that it was not?

(Chester County)

http://www.insightstraining.com/us/v...5&categoryID=4

Some friends of mine just took this course...they had some interesting things to share about the course...I wish I had been able to attend.

Bringing a knife to a gunfight is a GREAT idea when inside of arms length. Many times when a gun is used in a crime it's used to threaten and intimidate the victim...the gun is often shoved in someones face or the like. People have to get close to you to take your wallet/ keys/ body. Its the rare criminal that maintains distance...and there's not many ways to fight back against an assassination attempt

A knife doesn't jam, run out of ammo, get rendered safe, etc. It's quiet, concealable, and extremely deadly.

I wouldn't advocate carrying a blade over 4" long. I wouldn't select a "double edged" blade either.

Check out this site. Eastern influenced.
    http://www.shivworks.com and check out his designs and approach to edged weapon usage.

It's a lot easier to pull a trigger than it is to stick a knife in someone....you better have your shit together upstairs before you consider carrying a knife for defensive use.

(Lackawanna County)

if you insist on a fixed blade, you'd be better off with something a bit smaller, to avoid running afoul of any cop who's looking for a collar. there are plenty of fixed blades out there under 4", and under $100, that you can get.

http://www.defensedevices.com/corififa.html
    http://www.thebladeshop.com/Cold_Ste...DS_p/11sds.htm
    http://www.thebladeshop.com/SearchResults.asp
    http://www.thebladeshop.com/Ka_bar_L...6_p/kb1486.htm

in reality, unless you need it to skin game, a small blade is as good, if not better, than a larger one. for one thing, concealability. you don't need to advertise the fact that you have a blade; they carry a greater stigma than guns do, in certain parts of the world.

another point is this: most major arteries and veins lie less than 1 centimeter under the skin. tendons and muscles which can be cut to disable someone's limbs are less than 1" under the skin. the only advantage of a large blade is the ability to reach major organs. in a self defense situation, organs are the last thing you should be aiming for; you want to disable the attacker, then get away. targeting muscles and tendons can be done just as well with a 2" blade as a 12" bowie knife.

i would recommend against most dagger styled boot knives, because if the illegality of double edged blades throught most states. if you get the kershaw, DO NOT sharpen the top swedge; you are begging for an arrest if you do.

i have a bunch of fixed blades, but i only carry 2 of them with any regularity; both are under 3". if you insist on carrying somethng longer, just be sure to try and stay inconspicuous.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the help. I will not sharpen the top now that I know that would make it a dagger.

I'm fairly certain that given the situation I'd have to be in to pull the knife I would be able to use it. Also due to anatomy and physiology courses I would know the basic areas to strike, and I know that stabbing is more effective than slashing.

I have a folder already to carry that's about 4" so I do have a folder; I'd just much prefer a fixed blade.

(Lackawanna County)

I know that stabbing is more effective than slashing.

just a thought on his: stabbing is more effective than slashing, if you're looking for major organs, for a lethal strike. remember, mortal wounds won't necessarily drop the attacker right away; they still have use of their limbs, eyes, and have already decided to hurt you. slashing at and severing muscle groups and tendons will almost instantly render a limb useless, which is more practical in self defense situations.

and you should always consider the legal aspect of violent encounters. you'll be less likely to be charged with a crime if you cut open some guys bicep or tricep and got away, than if you stab him in the heart.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast