Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default 80% AR build kit

So I'm wanting to do my first 80% build.

I'm relatively handy, have drill press at hand, but no machinist or metalworker.

Yes, I've 'googled' quite a bit on this and found various options, watched a bunch on youtube, but I'm a newb at this and getting input here will help greatly.

For the first go, I'd really prefer to get a 'kit' with all the essentials at once versus assembling all the parts (maybe that's next time). Don't necessarily need all the 'furniture' in the kit, but the basic components all together.

Any suggestions for kits / vendors of such? Affordability is (of course) an issue, but I'd rather pay a bit more to get not-junk. Don't need Cadillac, but don't want Yugo (the car) either. Something in a nice Chevy zone...

I'd not mind a bit having one chambered in 7.62, but 5.56 is fine (and presume more broadly available).

FWIW, I did try forum search but I couldn't find anything specific to this question. Was actually surprised by that, maybe my search skills simply lack. But I did try...

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 80% AR build kit

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    So I'm wanting to do my first 80% build.

I'm relatively handy, have drill press at hand, but no machinist or metalworker.

Yes, I've 'googled' quite a bit on this and found various options, watched a bunch on youtube, but I'm a newb at this and getting input here will help greatly.

For the first go, I'd really prefer to get a 'kit' with all the essentials at once versus assembling all the parts (maybe that's next time). Don't necessarily need all the 'furniture' in the kit, but the basic components all together.

Any suggestions for kits / vendors of such? Affordability is (of course) an issue, but I'd rather pay a bit more to get not-junk. Don't need Cadillac, but don't want Yugo (the car) either. Something in a nice Chevy zone...

I'd not mind a bit having one chambered in 7.62, but 5.56 is fine (and presume more broadly available).

FWIW, I did try forum search but I couldn't find anything specific to this question. Was actually surprised by that, maybe my search skills simply lack. But I did try...

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    IMO, the only difference between an 80% build and any other build is milling out the lower. Outside of the tools used for that machining, there is nothing different. You need the same parts to put it all together.

That said, I was happy with http://80percentarms.com/, specifically http://www.80percentarms.com/collect...ar-15-easy-jig and http://www.80percentarms.com/collect...y-jig-tool-kit for my lower. Took my time, took most of an afternoon. Shoulda taken a bit more time for a cleaner result, but that's on me...

My Harbor Freight drill press didn't have the plunge depth so I wound up drilling handheld with a corded Craftsman variable speed. I would have preferred to use a press, but the drilling is just for hogging out. Take your time with the mill and router.

Once you're done that you have a stripped lower - build away...

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

ETA: Do *ALL* of the machining before removing the jig. I disassembled everything to check out the fit with my upper before drilling the pin holes and wound up with the trigger being just a hair too close to the front of the pocket thanks to tolerances. I needed a Dremel anyway...
    Last edited by Sgt.K; February 13th, 2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added a thought

(Butler County)

As for the kits and vendors and such I would probably recommend palmetto state armory. Once you have your lower completed, you'll need the following.
    1. A lower parts kit.
    2. A barreled upper
    3. Bolt carrier and charging handle

Assembly is not overly difficult and can be done with a set of punches and a hammer.

This in my opinion is the best value for a rifle kit on the market right now. It's a piston driven system, and a complete kit so all you need to finish it is the stripped lower.
    http://www.adamsarms.net/build-it-yo...-carbine-black

(Butler County)

I also used the 80% arms jig and lower and things went really well for me too. As Sgt. K said, it could have been cleaner, but that's on me not the kit.

I dont have a drill press so I used a hand drill and one of the routers they recommended (black and Decker I think). Only 2 negatives as a result of the hand drill that I found.

1. I had to charge the battery 4 full times to drill out all of the holes.

2. When drilling out the trigger pocket I pushed too hard and nicked the trigger guard. It should be easy to prevent this by putting a piece of cardboard over the trigger guard before placing the lower in the jig.

Only other issue that I had was the safety detent hole (which is pre drilled) didn't line up quite perfectly with the safety hole that I drilled. It was a quick fix once I determined the issue, but took me a bit to figure out as it was my first AR build so i didn't know exactly how everything worked.

Follow the advice online and what Sgt k said about not removing the jig until you are completely done and you will have a blast with it.

Warning: aluminum will get EVERYWHERE. Have a shop vac handy as well as compressed air to blow out the shavings.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    1. I had to charge the battery 4 full times to drill out all of the holes.
    Repeat after me: "Corded Drill"...

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    Warning: aluminum will get EVERYWHERE. Have a shop vac handy as well as compressed air to blow out the shavings.
    I kept the vac running during all machining. Aluminum *still* got everywhere. The shavings *will* get into the treads of your shoes if you step on them.

Except for my bathroom where I laid sheet vinyl and my kitchen where I just recently laid sheet vinyl the entire finished area of my house is hardwood flooring, and I would rather not drag random sharp metal edges around upstairs. I have a pair of shop shoes I usually wear to stand on the concrete floor that are particularly susceptible to shavings (ok, they're Crocs - don't hate, they're cushioned). For the duration of the project - and until I verify that I've picked up ALL the shavings - I taped 2 layers of cardboard to the bottoms of the shoes to catch the shavings, and leave the shoes at the bottom of the stairs.

(Cumberland County)

Check out PSA. They have "bring your own lower" build kits. They contain a fully assembles upper, BCG, and everything you need to finish out your lower including the buffer tube and stock. Something like this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac-...kit-23898.html

Here is the link to the top level page of "rifle kits".
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

WARNING: AR-15s in your gun locker will multiply almost a quickly as rabbits.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll keep you posted.

(Somerset County)

Check out 5D Tactical. It receives awesome feedback on arf.com