Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default Caliber for Suppressed Deer Hunting

With all of the possible regulation changes that might be coming this year, I have been dreaming about building a new upper for my AR-15 to use for deer hunting. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a caliber for the build or projectile to use that might provide enough terminal energy while shooting subsonic ammunition to ethically take whitetails. If the consensus is that energy levels from an AR-15 platform using subsonic ammo are not adequate, what caliber would you use with supersonic ammunition? Would you still shoot it suppressed?

Default Re: Caliber for Suppressed Deer Hunting

id stay supersonic unless you are shooting at bow range, i used 762x39 with my suppressor last year but 300bo would be better in ar

(Armstrong County)

300 blackout would be your best bet probably.

I wouldn't shoot past 100-150 yards with subsonic 300 blackout rounds though.... you are looking at damn near 3' of bullet drop at 200 yards

Then obviously supersonic is g2g

The 300blk subsonic is not anything I would use for deer. The .458socom will be your best bet. Outlaw State and Maker bullets (among others) make heavy (most over 450gr) .458socom specific bullets that will expand at subsonic velocities. Just be aware these bullets at subsonic speed will drop fast. I would recommend going with Tromix for the .458socom, they do it right. Whether you just get their barrel/bolt combo and build your own or buy one of their complete uppers. For subsonic and heavy bullets you will want the 1:14 twist barrel. Though a 1:14 will work for all weight supersonic bullets too. Lots of bullets availbe for the .458 from 100gr-600gr, many made just for the .458. It is basically a 45-70 in an AR15. Several companies make suppressors for the .458 also.
    Last edited by dkf; February 13th, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

(Wyoming County)

I started my 300BLK subsonic loads using Sierra 220gn round nose. Due to the cost of the Sierra's I also started looking for a cheaper alternative and found that I like the PC(poly coated?) bullets from Kings Shooter's supply link-> http://kingshooters.com/product.pc-3...ed-309-86-3014

Disclaimer: I am not a ballistics expert nor do I have any real world experience using subsonics on game animals (or supersonic for that matter). I have the confidence that they (subsonics) would serve me well in a home defense roll.

As far as shooting game, like deer, I humbly do not see the point in using subsonic ammo. The suppressor will mitigate the sound from a super sonic bullet enough to be comfortable. There is just so much lost energy in subsonic vs supersonic, which is why I use a 125gn Hornady SST (super shock tipped) which I chrono'd at 2175 fps.

I ran a hypothetical scenario on the Nikon ballistics computer.
    Same environment for both the Hornady 125SST going Super vs. Sierra 220RN going Sub

@100yds
    -the 125 super has 1043 foot pounds of energy.

@ 50yds
    -the 220 sub has 502 foot pounds of energy.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; February 13th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

I wouldn't go subsonic for deer either, unless you're planning on shooting at archery distances. This year, I might take out my 300 Blackout AR (with supersonic), but years past, I've used regular ol' 308 with a suppressor. My rule is to put the suppressor on anything that I can attach it to, hunting or target shooting.

Just make sure you're sighted in with the can on.

A .30cal 220gr BTHP or SP going at subsonic speeds is like a 9mm ball round basically. The permanent wound cavity basically looks like it was made by an ice pick. The heavy 30cal bullets that expand at subsonic velocities are better but still nothing to brag about. At subsonic speeds you need large bullet diameters, preferably with enough weight to still penetrate well when expanded.

(Lackawanna County)

Lehigh defense may be an answer to the subsonic expansion

(Jefferson County)

I'm a .458 caliber fan, so I'd go with the .458Socom. You can lob a big hole maker and have enough mass to smash through bone - while still keeping things subsonic.

The extra mass helps make up for the lower velocities of subsonic shooting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I'm going to have to disagree with those that say that 300BO subsonic is not good. It's all about the bullet that you choose.

If you are going to load subsonic 300BO, you will need a bullet that will expand under subsonic speeds. I only know two such companies...Outlaw State and Lehigh Defense. I haven't used the Outlaw State bullets, so I cannot give first hand accounts. I will tell you that Lehigh makes some awesome hunting bullets. I have their 190gr ME bullets as well...I haven't taken game with them, but I'm sure they will work very well. The CF are great because it fragments into four pieces.

http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collect...ackout-whisper

I've been using the Lehigh 174gr CF bullets for the past two hunting seasons and will say you will not have issue with expansion. I like the fact that the game does not know where the shot is coming from and you can get multiple shots off.

My 300BO is my choice for hunting PA whitetail with a suppressor. I'll probably take my AR15 in 300BO this year just to give that pistol a "body."

I feel 458 SOCOM is overkill for PA whitetail...whitetail deer have thin skin and it doesn't take a monster caliber to take down a whitetail. The cost is a lot more to get into 458 SOCOM as well...even if you reload, it's not inexpensive as brass isn't as available as 300BO brass which you can produce using 222/223 cases.

Don't get me wrong, at some point I'll have a 458 SOCOM, but I find it's just overkill for PA Whitetail. Hunt other bigger/tougher critters and I'll say 458 SOCOM is a top contender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast