Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bored With A Gun - Sell or Wait It Out?

Over the past 30 some years, I (and my wife) have bought and sold more guns than we can remember. There is always another one down the road.
    Only regret selling two guns over the years - one a special edition S&W 3" Model 64 and the other my wife's Remington LT20 shotgun.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    Got any good deals on lowers?
    I traded 10 DSA lowers for a couple South American Mausers and some ammo last month.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Over the past 30 some years, I (and my wife) have bought and sold more guns than we can remember. There is always another one down the road.
    Only regret selling two guns over the years - one a special edition S&W 3" Model 64 and the other my wife's Remington LT20 shotgun.
    Only two guns out of at least a hundred I have traded off or sold I wish I had kept, one was a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag that I sold when I got married and thought I'd replace later, then they went under...

The other was a S&W J Frame lightweight in .32H&R Mag I bought while I was an FFL, my ex-wife wanted to carry it and after a while wanted to go bigger so I sold it to get her a .357.
    That was a great little gun.

(Lancaster County)

Is it weird of me that I don't buy things I don't want and don't use? It just doesn't make sense to, kind of like people who buy clothes and by the time they get home they don't fit so they never wear them. That's just, well, like...foolish.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Is it weird of me that I don't buy things I don't want and don't use? It just doesn't make sense to, kind of like people who buy clothes and by the time they get home they don't fit so they never wear them. That's just, well, like...foolish.
    No, not weird. I'm kinda that way too. I don't have much of a 'gun collection' as I said before, because I really only buy what I'm going to regularly use... though my criteria for "using" rifles is a bit longer-term than for handguns. I'd say a handgun for me needs to be shot at least quarterly and if it goes a year without I'll start giving it the "maybe I need to trade you for something more appealing" look. Rifles not quite the same for me. Those can sit a long time and I'm fine with it. OTOH, I don't own a vast array of rifles either.

And unlike clothes, you can typically get back a notable portion of what you spent on a firearm if you sell it, maybe even close to "value parity" if you do a private-party trade.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    There are shooters and there are collectors.
    They can be both at the same time.

I shoot maybe 10% of my collection on a regular basis.
    Last week I bought 3 guns, only one will likely be fired.

I'm a collector over a shooter I guess.
    I collect for the financial side.
    I have guns that have increased in value 500% and others that have stayed the same.
    For me, spending $500 on a gun now that I will sell for $800 in ten years is a hobby that can earn me or my kids some cash later.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I don't have any interest in keeping a huge collection of firearms. Having said that, I'm bored with my GP100 revolver. I did a trigger job on it which turned out great, replaced the front sight with a green fiber optic insert but don't really have any interest in shooting it anymore. When you get this level of bored with a gun, do you put it away for a while or just get rid of it? The reason I don't want to keep buying more and more is because it's a real pain in the dick to pack magazines, speedloaders and ammunition for multiple guns. I don't want to have a bunch of guns I don't shoot. Thoughts?
    So, do you NEED the money for something else? If not, what's the hurry? There is a chance that something may rekindle your interest in some of your collection. One thing you can count on, if you sell or trade them you will inevitably lose money.

(Indiana County)

I rarely lose money on guns I sell.
    But I don't pay MSRP or GunBroker "asking" prices though.

Do you guys keep all your old cars?
    Just park them in your yard when you're done with them?
    If you trade them in or sell them are you losing money?
    Why even get rid of a car?
    Maybe just keep it and at some point later you might want to drive it again...

Guns are objects, objects have always been bought and sold.

Losing money?
    IMO keeping an object you don't want is losing money, by ridding yourself of it you are giving yourself an opportunity to pick up something you want, instead of storing an object you don't use.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I rarely lose money on guns I sell.
    But I don't pay MSRP or GunBroker "asking" prices though.

Do you guys keep all your old cars?
    Just park them in your yard when you're done with them?
    If you trade them in or sell them are you losing money?
    Why even get rid of a car?
    Maybe just keep it and at some point later you might want to drive it again...

Guns are objects, objects have always been bought and sold.

Losing money?
    IMO keeping an object you don't want is losing money, by ridding yourself of it you are giving yourself an opportunity to pick up something you want, instead of storing an object you don't use.
    That's the key, paying less to start with. Since I usually buy used and then sell used, I haven't lost all that much. It's almost like a rental fee. I tried it, I got some enjoyment out of buying it, shooting it, and learning about it, and that's worth something. If I get tired of it, I'm not going to keep it out of fear that I might second-guess myself someday.

Space is another cost I'm trying to avoid. I think I've sold 8 guns. If I still had them, I'd need another safe, and space for mags, ammo, holsters, and the original boxes.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I traded 10 DSA lowers for a couple South American Mausers and some ammo last month.
    My uncle got a bring back German Mauser from my grandfather, straight from WWII. It's the only gun he owns. Should probably be mine. To him it is just a memento, to me it would be so much more. Actually, my grandmother almost blew away one of my uncles with it
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast