Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Minimal welding kit for gunsmithing? Bernzomatic?

I'm kind of in need of a tool to add metal back onto frame rails and safeties. I have an older gunsmithing book (from the 60's, I think) that suggests the Bernzomatic welding kit, but it looks like the ones currently on sale are not very highly regarded. Is there something similar that I could use with MAPP and Oxygen cylinders available at home improvement stores? I would prefer not to have to invest in the whole acetylene welding kit, I just don't have that much need for it.

EDIT: This isn't too bad. Will this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Wel...8AAOSwYIxX4SVQ
    Last edited by Suburban; February 12th, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Minimal welding kit for gunsmithing? Bernzomatic?

There are only 2 types of welding I would ever do on a firearm, Oxy/Acetylene or Tig. Anything else is not going to be precise enough. Oxy/Acetylene can be very hard to do, it takes a ton of practice to get good at it, and even with all of that practice it is still not the best way to go. Tig welding is by far the best way to weld on anything gun related. You can control the heat way better. The only thing with any type of welding, is you need to make sure you have a very clear understanding of what you are doing to the temper of that metal. I have had guns in my shop where someone welded a sear back together and within 50 rounds, the sear was completely toast because it was now too soft and the sear edge just rolled itself right over. Tempering metals can be very complicated, from what it sounds like you need to weld on, this is something you will need to figure out before you start welding. Both the frame rails as well as thumb safety are at a certain temper and must stay at that temper. I hope this is helpful.

I agree with what Mason said. Oxyfuel welding has become antiquated and is rarely done anymore since TIG welders are common place and not that expensive. Mainly Oxyfuel is used for brazing, heating, bending, soldering, etc these days. Big thing for TIG welding parts that need to be heat treated is matching the filler to the base metal and then getting it heat treated properly after that. Cracking can be a major issue both during welding and heat treat, especially on high carbon steels and tool steels. It sounds like what you want to do (to do it right) is over your budget and skill set. This is something that takes knowledge and years of practice to do right with very good outcome.

Also knowing the composite of the the alloy of what you're going to be throwing an arc to. There are alloys of metal that are completely "unweldable". It pays to have an experienced welder/gunsmith/machinist take a look at your parts before you attempt to weld them, if you're not sure about their composition.