Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Armed man intervenes when another man was beating a woman

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Hopefully she doesn't change her story when it looks like the love of her life may survive to return home to beat her again for turning on her.
    Would not be surprised at all.

(Bucks County)

Ask police officers how many times the woman they were protecting suddenly turned on them to save her lover.

Aggravated Assault=Felony.
    Felony may be acted upon by a citizen.
    Assaulter attacking citizen who has a right to act ramps up the situation, citizen may turn to self defense.

Problem: The above has to do with the Crimes Code. The citizen may well find himself in Civil Proceedings defending all sorts of "losses" "suffered" by attacker and family. Secondary problem...even if prevailing, citizen will have a lot less money in the bank, unless insured against such incidents.

None of this is to say don't help the victim of an assault resulting in grievous injuries. Just pointing out this is our world.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Ask police officers how many times the woman they were protecting suddenly turned on them to save her lover.

Assaulter attacking citizen who has a right to act ramps up the situation, citizen may turn to self defense.

Problem: The above has to do with the Crimes Code. The citizen may well find himself in Civil Proceedings defending all sorts of "losses" "suffered" by attacker and family. Secondary problem...even if prevailing, citizen will have a lot less money in the bank, unless insured against such incidents.

None of this is to say don't help the victim of an assault resulting in grievous injuries. Just pointing out this is our world.
    "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." - Billy S.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    If we all conducted ourselves in a manner consistent with the avoidance of any action or activity which could potentially entangle us with some money-grubbing trial lawyer, we'd be hard-pressed to ever leave the house.
    I'm old enough to remember when LEOs used to drive or let someone else drive intoxicated drivers home instead of arresting them. You and I still possess old school morals, but like it or not, it is a different world we live in when some idiot can hire shyster Saul Goodman and sue McDonalds because they got burned by their hot coffee.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    {snip}

Holland Police said the suspect in the assault was already wanted for other charges. (Is any one else surprised by this? ) He is currently hospitalized in critical condition. (Almost a happy ending. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.)
    I am happy to see that the "suspect" did not magically become the "victim" when the good guy vented him.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

I wish I could remember the details now but I recall a few cases where someone intervened in a case like this, used deadly force and got it turned around on them and they ended up in prison.

Often this ruckuses are used as a diversion or distraction so others can commit crimes.

Every case is going to be different but I would use extreme restraint before diving in between a fight between people.

When I was living out west years ago in apartment complexes with lots of illegal mexicans living there, these sorts of things broke out all the time. People getting thrown out of windows, a truck getting stolen and rammed into a boulder and other screaming fits and hysteria, much of it I'd link to drugs and alcohol. Since I worked long hours and came and went 24 hours a day, it wasn't uncommon for me to hear or see some of this. Instead of wading into something I did not know all the circumstances of, I called 911 and being a tourist town we had large numbers of cops around considering the actual permanent population. So the cops would be there fast and furious within minutes, break it all up and lead people away in cuffs a number of times.

I imagine if I had decided to play hero every week and wade into the middle of all these fights I would have had my ass beat, stabbed or shot at some point, maybe thrown through a window like that one guy, or would have ended up getting charged with something myself.

(Northampton County)

I was driving down the street for work one time and saw a guy trying to grab a purse from a woman and then start hitting her. There was a median in the road and it seemed the fastest way for me to get back there would have been to turn off and turn around, which I did. When I got back, they were consensually making out. If I got back 30 seconds sooner, no doubt I would have been fighting both the man and the woman. Provided neither of them shot me.

This won't change the fact that I will help someone in distress, especially a woman. But I did learn that you must approach these situations very cautiously.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Chester County)

How about calling 911?

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Was your truck OK?
    Yeah just another notch in the firewall just always make sure it's a center hit you don't want to be driving home with out headlights.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123