Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Armed man intervenes when another man was beating a woman

I put this in the armed citizen thread, but thought it worth a discussion. I know there are a lot of takes on whether or not you should insert yourself in a situation that you don'thave to. In this case a man saw a woman being beat, intervene, and then wound up shooting the attacker. I know there are pros and cons for intervening with a firearm. I know what I think I would do in a similar situation. What would you guys do if you saw the man beating the woman?

Armed Citizen Intervenes, Shoots Suspect Allegedly Beating Woman in Convenience Store
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...enience-store/

A citizen “legally carrying” a handgun demanded a suspect stop attacking a woman in a convenience store then shot the suspect twice when he refused the demands.
    The incident occurred at the Columbia Avenue One Stop in Holland, Michigan, around 10:20 pm on February 9.

According to WUSA, “Officers were originally called out to deal with a subject who was acting disorderly.” But when they arrived, they learned the disorderly conduct had allegedly escalated into an all-out assault on a 39-year-old woman and that the 29-year-old suspect had been shot twice to end the attack.

Police indicated that a 43-year-old witness tried to stop the assault only to have the suspect turn and begin assaulting him. At that point, the 43-year-old opened fire, striking the suspect twice.

A press release from the Holland Police Department says:

The female victim and the suspect were involved in a domestic relationship. The suspect was reported to be initially intimidating the victim and other customers in the store. One of those customers left and called 911. The video shows the victim to be visibly afraid, and at one point tries to escape. The suspect violently punched the victim several times and threw her down to the ground, and it is at that point that the customer arrives and tries to intervene. The suspect immediately turned and violently attacked the customer. The customer indicated that the suspect tried to grab his gun, and he then shot the suspect twice. The female victim did indicate that she feared the suspect would beat her to death if the customer did not intervene. The female victim was transported to the hospital for injuries and was then released.

Holland Police said the suspect in the assault was already wanted for other charges. He is currently hospitalized in critical condition.

Default Re: Armed man intervenes when another man was beating a woman

Good shoot and I would like to think I would do exactly the same thing. I know I would not be able to just stand back and watch or walk away while someone is being beaten, possibly to death.

The link posted does not take you to the story so I found this one.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 11th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Good shoot and I would like to think I would do exactly the same thing. I know I would not be able to just stand back and watch or walk away while someone is being beaten, possibly to death.

The link posted does not take you to the story so I found this one.
    That's pretty much where I am at. It's the type of thing I have intervened in before I carried. Unfortunately now there are cases where if you intervene the firearm becomes a big focus if pulled or used.

(Erie County)

People do the stupidest things in places where it should be obvious cameras are recording.

Good for this guy intervening. I would have done the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Last time i seen a guy beating his girlfriend i just hit him with my truck!

(Franklin County)

I would like to think I would do the same as that guy did.
    I find it encouraging that the police correctly identified which person was the suspect in this event.

(Northampton County)

Been there, done that (except the shooting part). Some days you just have to act.

(Allegheny County)

Hopefully she doesn't change her story when it looks like the love of her life may survive to return home to beat her again for turning on her.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Hopefully she doesn't change her story when it looks like the love of her life may survive to return home to beat her again for turning on her.
    I agree 100% with this one. My mindset is that if I or loved ones I am with are being attacked I will defend myself and them. If its someone else, not worth the post shoot trouble. Sorry, this is the world we live in. I do not want to go through an investigation, be second guessed, possibly face a criminal trial and most likely a civil trial for strangers where I have no clue what was going on. I have people depending upon me to provide for them and would not risk that anymore than absolutely necessary. There is some truth about the old fashioned paradigm of "minding one's own business". The most I would have done based on the reports of the situation was called 911 and yelled at the attacker as I was staying away. Again, IMHO.
    Last edited by pa350z; February 12th, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    I agree 100% with this one. My mindset is that if I or loved ones I am with are being attacked I will defend myself and them. If its someone else, not worth the post shoot trouble. Sorry, this is the world we live in. I do not want to go through an investigation, be second guessed, possibly face a criminal trial and most likely a civil trial for strangers where I have no clue what was going on. I have people depending upon me to provide for them and would not risk that anymore than absolutely necessary. There is some truth about the old fashioned paradigm of "minding one's own business". The most I would have done based on the reports of the situation was called 911 and yelled at the attacker as I was staying away. Again, IMHO.
    Sorry, that's not "the world WE live in", that's the world YOU live in. In my world, If my wife is out shopping by herself and is attacked I would hope someone would help her and I would do the same for your wife or kids.
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast