Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Ran some .22 short in my Ruger mark iii

I was at the range earlier today. I made it a day of .22.

I mostly shot my marlin 925 and Ruger mark iii. I've been burning through some .22 shorts through the marlin with no issue other than having to load it as a single shot.

Toward the end of my range time, I had some .22 shorts left and thought it might be educational to shoot them through my Ruger to see how it would handle it.

I loaded one round in manually and no surprise it fired just fine. I was surprised when it also ejected just fine too! I didn't think it would have the power to cycle the gun properly.

I decided to try again to see if it was a fluke. Cycled just fine.

Now I was ready to try loading them into a magazine and seeing what would happen. I loaded two rounds. First chambered just fine and fired. But it failed to eject and jammed up. Sort of a stove pipe and failure to feed at the same time.

I cleared the action and tried a few more times. I managed to get 2 rounds out of it a couple of times in a row but also had jams a few times.

Anyway, I found this interesting.

-Zach

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ran some .22 short in my Ruger mark iii

I bought a .22 Short conversion kit some years ago for my Ruger Mk.II. It came with a reduced power mainspring, a lightweight bolt and two magazines that had been adapted to feed the shorts. It works flawlessly. Unfortunately, I have not seen one for sale for years.
    IIRC, it was made by J.A. Ceiner down in Florida.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

It will work feeding manually,but clean the chamber often !

(Bucks County)

I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind cleaning my mark iii. Once you get used to it and replace the hammer bushing with a mark ii bushing, it is not so bad. The mark iv does look nice though.

-Zach