Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Swift Scirocco 2 Bullets 22 Caliber 75 Grain Bonded Spitzer Boat Tail

Okay, well if I can use a Semi-Auto for deer in the fall, looks like I am going to need to start thinking about the possibility of reloading some .223 with bullets that would be okay when taking deer. I have an AR-15 with a 20" barrel and a 1-7 twist and this thing is way way under MOA with 69-75 grain bullets and my reloads using Varget and H-335. This is going to be a great deer hunting fall season. Swift are expensive but I like them.

Default Re: Swift Scirocco 2 Bullets 22 Caliber 75 Grain Bonded Spitzer Boat Tail

I was just researching this myself. I was looking at the Barnes 70 gr TSX or the Hornady 70 gr GMX. I read both have had good results with whitetails. My gun has an 18 in barrel with 1-8 twist. I haven't shot anything heavier than 55 gr out of it so I'll have to see how it shoots. I'm under 1 MOA with 55 gr Hornady V-max. From what I've read it should stabilize a bullet up to 80 gr.

I'm sure a lot of guys will shit on hunting deer with a 223 but I don't care. I shoot my AR more than any other rifle and I'm really confident I can put a bullet or two where I want.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Swift Scirocco 2 Bullets 22 Caliber 75 Grain Bonded Spitzer Boat Tail

Yes a 1-8 twist will work fine with the heavier bullets. Should be fun working up some different loads. I have several firearms I hope to use during future hunting seasons. Including Revolvers, 300 Blk w/silencer and the .223. I really could care less what others would think about when I am out hunting and what I am hunting with. I consider myself an experienced and ethical hunter and as always would hunt/take shots well within my limits and the limits of the weapon I am using.

(Dauphin County)

My internet investigation is showing a variety of good .22 caliber bullets that look like they will take whitetail.

Sierra GameKing Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 65 Grain Spitzer Boat

Nosler Partition Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 60 Grain Spitzer

(Allegheny County)

That sounds like it will work and something I'll look more into should I decide to use a 5.56.

I'm also building a 10" 300 blackout upper and will be shooting Barnes 110 grn, it will be perfect for where I hunt.

It's nice to now have these options.

(York County)

I'm trying 62 gr. Fusions next season. I would like to try Barnes but haven't found any yet. Sportsmans Guide has 5 round Thermold mags on sale for $9 at the moment.

I bought 10 round p mags from midway for $11 and a -5 round plug.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    My internet investigation is showing a variety of good .22 caliber bullets that look like they will take whitetail.

Sierra GameKing Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 65 Grain Spitzer Boat

Nosler Partition Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 60 Grain Spitzer
    I've shot a bunch of my reloads with the 65gr Gameking. They shoot well I just don't have the confidence they will stay together very well as they are not bonded. The partition is known to be a tough bullet (bonded) so I have confidence it will stay together. The 75gr Scirroco 2 holds together, some guys shoot them past 3300fps. Its my pick. I always tend to favor heavier bullets.