Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W Question

Default 40 S&W Question

I purchased some reloads quite a few years ago from a forum member.
    There were a couple different lots, and I would have swore up and down that I test fired them shortly after I received them, but apparently not.
    The ammo is fine as far as I can tell, and it was my ignorance when I purchased the ammo with regard to the issue.
    The OAL is roughly 1.183 ( a bit shy of 1 3/16), which is roughly .06 longer than many more typical loads. The bullets are nearly full ball, which in of itself is odd for .40, so it doesn't surprise me the OAL is longer ( I think they are commonly used in 10mm. I have seen plenty of full ball 10mm in years past), and there is some reload data for loads this tall. Problem is they don't fit my Glock mags. They are just a hair to tall. I can fit two at the most before they bind. I'm currently of the mind that a single stack mag may not have this issue. I wish i knew someone with a .40 other than a Glock to test the theory.

Anyway I do have friends that reload, and I am wondering a few things. If i were to pull a few bullets, and assuming i know what bullet was used, can the bullets be pressed down a touch? I think .010-.015 will make them work. I realize it will change the pressure, but once the powder grain has been verified, and the bullet weight/type has been verified, is this potentially doable, or would it require removing all the bullets and changing the charge, if it's feasible at all. And if so are the bullets reusable?

Again I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the ammo. If all else fails I guess I can do a lot 2-3 shot reload drills until they're gone.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: 40 S&W Question

I guess this is the kind of thing, that makes so many reloaders not give out their reloads for others to shoot.
    Those things are pretty darn long. All mine are 1.125. I measured some factory stuff and they are the same.
    Wonder why he made them that length.
    I couldn't even find any 40 info with something as long as 1.183. There might be though.
    I'm no expert, but I don't see any reason why you can't do what you are proposing.
    I have used a collet puller on pistol rounds. It does put sort of ring around the bullet, but not enough of a deformity not to reuse them.
    Kinetic puller would work best at keeping the bullet shape intact for sure.

Can't help you with checking other firearms, as mine is a G23.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I guess this is the kind of thing, that makes so many reloaders not give out their reloads for others to shoot.
    Those things are pretty darn long. All mine are 1.125. I measured some factory stuff and they are the same.
    Wonder why he made them that length.
    I couldn't even find any 40 info with something as long as 1.183. There might be though.
    I'm no expert, but I don't see any reason why you can't do what you are proposing.
    I have used a collet puller on pistol rounds. It does put sort of ring around the bullet, but not enough of a deformity not to reuse them.
    Kinetic puller would work best at keeping the bullet shape intact for sure.

Can't help you with checking other firearms, as mine is a G23.
    Thanks for the response.
    I have seen a few loads this length on line. One was 1.185.
    I presume the length is do to the near full ball bullet. Most seem to be flat nosed, thus far shorter.

Hmm wonder if I could file the nose down a bit?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    I have seen a few loads this length on line. One was 1.185.
    I presume the length is do to the near full ball bullet. Most seem to be flat nosed, thus far shorter.

Hmm wonder if I could file the nose down a bit?
    If they are copper clad, no way I would fool with the "construction" of the bullet. IMO, you are really asking for trouble. Naked lead, probably not an issue to make them flat points.

(Chester County)

You could always buy a 10mm revolver to save money!

COL is a bullet/chamber issue and not found in manuals.
    Are they light loads or near-max heavy loads?
    Without knowing the load, how could we say if shortening the COL will be safe? .40S&W is not a cartridge where you can safely play with pressure.
    Dispose of them and learn to reload your own.

(Lancaster County)

Guys with 1911's and 2011's in .40 tend to load them a little longer like that to make them feed better, often times getting 10mm mags to run them. See if anyone doing that wants them, otherwise I would either try them in another .40 which you own or otherwise pull and change the load to something you work up for them rather than taking a chance. KB's are too expensive.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Guys with 1911's and 2011's in .40 tend to load them a little longer like that to make them feed better, often times getting 10mm mags to run them. See if anyone doing that wants them, otherwise I would either try them in another .40 which you own or otherwise pull and change the load to something you work up for them rather than taking a chance. KB's are too expensive.
    I have far too many rounds to pull bullets on all of them.
    If I get desperate I will try a 10mm mag.
    I still need to pull a few and confirm the powder, etc.

(Bucks County)

I do have friends that reload, and I am wondering a few things. If i were to pull a few bullets, and assuming i know what bullet was used, can the bullets be pressed down a touch? I think .010-.015 will make them work. I realize it will change the pressure, but once the powder grain has been verified, and the bullet weight/type has been verified, is this potentially doable, or would it require removing all the bullets and changing the charge, if it's feasible at all. And if so are the bullets reusable?
    My thoughts:

There is no way to ascertain the propellant. You cannot safely identify propellant by looking at it.

You state the COAL is .060" longer than normal, if I am reading your post correctly. It's possible the rounds were made for use in a carbine that could handle (or required) the additional length. The question is, why were they assembled with a long COAL. (I assume the person you got them from cannot be contacted?) The longer COAL could be special purpose, and it could also be a sign of inattention...which could be a concern regarding other aspects of the loads.

I suggest breaking down one cartridge to weigh the bullet and try to identify its make. If successful, contact CS of the maker and they can tell you loads and COALS. Then break down ten other rounds and weigh the charges. If they all weigh the same, it's a sign of consistency...a good sign.

It's possible the seemingly long COAL is still a legitimate load intended for a purpose or gun, as you suggest.

Pull the bullet, and put the charge back into the case to see how full the case is. If it's not a compressed load, I would think you'll find simply seating the bullets another .015" deeper is a viable solution. If a compressed load or nearly so, seating deeper may not be a good idea.

If you can identify the make and model of the bullet, manufacturers can tell you what loadings to use via customer service. Comparing the loads suggested with load found could be useful. Even if the propellant remains unidentified, the charge weight found in the cartridge can be a clue. For example, if the max of all given loads is 9 grains, and the cartridge contains 8.5, I'd be confident that the bullets could be seated an additional .015".

To remove all doubt, the cartridges can be broken down for components and reassembled with correct specs. The bullets can be reused.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Glock 20s and 29s with conversion barrels can be loaded longer too since the mags are larger.

Seating the bullet .015" deeper will increases pressures but likely not by a large amount. If it were me I'd just pull them and use the components.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast