Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Winchester model 70 243

Hello. I'm not too familiar with rifles and I'm looking to sell a rifle that's taking up room in my safe. I'm not even sure where to start with it. How do I identify the year and exact model? From my research they made a featherweight version? What could I potentially sell this rifle for? I shoot long guns lefty and it's a right handed bolt. I shot my first deer with it and then got a 30.06 pump. It's in great condition. Any help would be appreciated.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Winchester model 70 243

Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    Hello. I'm not too familiar with rifles and I'm looking to sell a rifle that's taking up room in my safe. I'm not even sure where to start with it. How do I identify the year and exact model? From my research they made a featherweight version? What could I potentially sell this rifle for? I shoot long guns lefty and it's a right handed bolt. I shot my first deer with it and then got a 30.06 pump. It's in great condition. Any help would be appreciated.
    We'll need pictures
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Lehigh County)

If you could post a couple of pictures, it would be a start. There are several grades and many variations. Is it blued, stainless, wood stock, plastic stock, does it have a removable floor plate, jeweled bolt, etc. Does it look like new, slightly used, used, hard? When did you use it to shoot your first deer, that gives a starting point. Was it passed on from dad (or another family member), or did you buy it new/used back then?

Does it have iron sights and/or a scope? Feel free to add what you can, but pictures will be key.

There is a sticky on the site about how to post them. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=47581

I'll give you $100 bucks

(Berks County)

(Berks County)

I'm not sure when it was pucharsded but if I had to guess I would say it was bought early 80's or earlier. This was given to me by mad dad.

Looks like a nice rifle. I would estimate that you could get $400-$500 for it more than likely if you're selling it to a person. A gun store or dealer will probably give less.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Looks like a nice rifle. I would estimate that you could get $400-$500 for it more than likely if you're selling it to a person. A gun store or dealer will probably give less.
    I agree it is a very nice rifle, not a featherweight, looks like a standard stock. Winchesters seen to command a premium so I would take a look at gunbroker and see what completed auctions are going for. 243 is good for woodchucks up to deer and is a good PA rifle. The one caveat I will tell you is there is a limited market for top end guns, since you can buy a basic hunting rifle for $300 or so with the new generation of Savages, Rugers, etc. These are not nearly as nice nor do they work as well as your gun, but they are affecting overall prices.

If you decide to sell, put it on a classified ad here, with the pictures, starting at a price less than gunbroker and see what happens. Good luck.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
    I'm not sure when it was pucharsded but if I had to guess I would say it was bought early 80's or earlier. This was given to me by mad dad.
    So when your dad went mad Obama made him give up his rifle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast